Newbe, with some questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just bought a "new" '71 FJ40 and have some questions. What is the weight of the hardtop? I'm thinking of buying a small winch to use as a lift in my garage. Is this a good idea? Next question, can the side windows in the top be replaced with sliders or ones that "pop"out? Is there a source for this, or am I on my own? Last for now, does anyone have a rollbar and rear jump seat belts that will fit my truck? I got kids and I want to strap them in and keep them safe. Thanks in advance.

Jon , I have a stock rollbar if you want one for looks, but if you want one for protection then you need to look at metaltech. I would say the top is a couple of hundred pounds but do not quote me on that. People have made winch contraptions on their garage ceiling for doing the same thing you want. Last, I think you are talking about the later model top and its side window set up.

HTH

Welcome, I do believe also that Man-a-fre and Specter Off Road make a set of sliding windows for the FJ40 hardtop models, i am not certain but i do believe seeing those on their sites. Have also seen a few people who have mad contraptions for removing tops in there garages. may want to search the chit chat section for that or even the 40-tech section, if you come up with nothing possibly post a general chat question and i am sure someone will chime in.

Thanks

Thanks for the info. This is the first Toyota I've owned, had a couple of jeeps in the past, never had to deal with a heavy hardtop before. I like the look of the Metaltech cage, guess I'll heve to save up. Thanks again.

Jon - Don't forget about your local shops. Andy @ Carolina Rock Shop is very reasonable on cage prices, and does very very good work...

As for the top, 2 skinny guys could pretty easily carry mine, way back when I had one.

Funny! I don't have 2 skinny guys, just one fat one (me) and my wife.

Where is Carolina Rock Shop?

Carolina Rock Shop is on South blvd. in Charlotte. (704) 525-5109 I've seen Andy's work and it's top notch.

Rob

Anyone else on the forum in the Hickory area? I haven't seen any other FJ40s in town that I can remember.

Jon, I live in Charlotte but have family in the Hickory area. I also grew up there and never saw any. 40's are pretty rare nowadays, you won't see many. That's part of the beauty of owning one.

Rob

Robad said:
Jon, I live in Charlotte but have family in the Hickory area. I also grew up there and never saw any. 40's are pretty rare nowadays, you won't see many. That's part of the beauty of owning one.

Rob

Also the downside... "Nice J**p!" :rolleyes:

That's the reason I'm doing the Cruggy - they won't know WHAT to call it! LOL

Darin - thanks! The site is pretty outdated right now.. the link in my sig for the build thread is up to date - there's been lots o' changes.. I hope to see one of your many rigs soon.. That's quite a collection!

Anyone up for a little Uwharrie shakedown run on Friday, 8/26? I'm 80% sure I'll be ready by then..

Eskimo said:
Also the downside... "Nice J**p!" :rolleyes:

That's the reason I'm doing the Cruggy - they won't know WHAT to call it! LOL

ROTFL !!

Rich, I bet most of them will still call it a Heep. When we do this get together i will bring pics of all of them. The 45 is in pieces right now. Bed is off, hood and fenders are off, just took wiring out today. Taking tub off mext week and then get to start having fun with it, as in fixing it all back up right.

Darin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom