Newb, with a few questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,

I am taking over my brother's 1987 LJ70. The vehicle has sat for about two years since the engine sputtered out (we suspect a dirty fuel filter). It has some minor body rust but otherwise is in good shape. After reading through some of the other threads I see that cracked cylinder heads resulting from over-heating are the major concern (as well as low power out-put). The real challenge for me at the moment is that I live in Newfoundland and my brother lives in Ontario. The bonus though is that I work in Ontario and travel back and forth every 4 weeks. Right now my main concern is getting the vehicle running and driving again well enough to bring it back to Newfoundland. So my first question is, can anyone recommend or name and places to find parts for the LJ70 in Canada. Secondly, is there any specific things i should look for and address before driving it home. I am planning to go back and begin work on it in about 3-4 weeks from now. The drive it to Newfoundland 4-5 weeks later.

Cheers

-Ed

Clogged up filters usually starve the engine and it loses power slowly, rather than just stopping it suddenly. Water can stop them on the spot. If it is water, it may have corrosion in the fuel pump which is not good.
In any case you will need to get some clean fuel into it and see if it will run. If it does, then you need to look at the coolant system and start checking all the other lubricants. You can get things like fuel and oil filters from ebay cheap. You need to check with your brother to see if the fuel filtration is a factory set up.
The fuel tank has a large plug that allows you to drain the fuel out. Sometimes diesel tanks get bugs in them that turns the diesel into black goo.

According to my brother it didn't suddenly stop. It was acting sluggish and he had to hold the pedal on the floor to keep it running, eventually it stalled out. He was able to restart it, but again had to keep it floored to crawl it back to his place. The fuel filter is still the original set up (I was at his house a few weeks ago checking it out). He also said that he never replaced the fuel filter while he had it. So I'm pretty confident that its the filter. I'm sure I will have plenty to do over the coming weeks. Another note, this one is RHD (from Japan I believe), will that make things more difficult in terms of finding parts in Canada? I will work on posting some pictures when I get back home next week. But thanks for the tips.

There were quite a few imported, should be lots you can get spares from. The other Canucks will have to advise you the best place to get parts. But you could check out some of the supporting vendors on MUD in the vendors list and the classifieds. Its unlikely you will find someone who has everything but collectively they will have quite few parts.
This is the fuel filter,23303-64010 its a very common part for other types of diesel landcruisers in the 70,80 and 100 series
Oil filter 15600-41010
Air filter 17801-54080 Another very common part on other landcruisers.

I would flush out the old coolant , replace it with Toyota Red, available from any dealer.

As far as the low power output is concerned, you just have to accept that. Its an old diesel with a turbo slapped on it at the time to keep up with the other Japanese car manufacturers.
It will still be more than adequate on slower roads and offroad.

Hello,

Keep it well oiled. Canada's climate is harsh on Cruisers.

Juan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom