Newb w/ 40 running hot (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New to Toyota's, just got a 71 FJ40, and it is running hot, are the thermostats availible at NAPA or Advance Auto? Anyone have a part # for it and the gaskets? I'm guessing it's the t-stat, gage is on H and the rad isn't hot. Sound about right?

Be careful with the bolts on the T-stat housing. You can break them or break the housing corner at the lower portion of the housing.

question

Are you getting fluid loss? The stock gauges can get a little wonky
after 30+ years. You note the engine isn't hot, just a high reading on the gauge.
Our 60's gauge reads high and a test with a mechanical gauge confirmed
the wonkiness.
Many use a mechanical gauge to be sure. I do in my 40. 40s with stock engines
tend to NOT overheat. They'll run all day just off idle on the trail cool
and calm.
I'd suggest getting a factory Toyota thermostat and carefully install.
It's not expensive and yours probably hasn't been changed in years.
If memory serves me correct, they use an "O" ring for a gasket.
Also be careful. The 'stat can be installed upside down. ;)
Hope you can make it to our annual meeting 8/27/05. We'd love to
see you there!

True about the gauge. It spit coolant out the overflow tube last night sitting at a red light and I noticed the gauge read H. Checked the rad and it wasn't boiling or low. Let it sit for about 4 hrs., gauge still read H. I just got this thing, don't want to burn it up now.

Well...

spitting out of the overflow is not good. Too bad you aren't a UC
member. You'd get a 25% discount on parts from Ralph Hayes Toyota
in Anderson SC. LOL....at $10(dues) it only takes a couple of small part orders
to get a return on your investment. ;)
In a pinch you can run it without a 'stat.
Perhaps you could try that to see if the 'stat is your problem.
You can test them to see if they open by placing the 'stat in hot
water and see if it opens. HOT water. Like 180 degree or so.

When I first got my cruiser, a few years back, mine was over heating so I yank the T-stat and just ran without one fore quite a while. It solved my overheating but once the weather turned cold I didn't have much heat, so I got a new T-stat in there.

Thanks for the info. I'll probably pull the t-stat this weekend. To busy drawing house plans to do it now.

yeah my 60 is over heating still after replacing the stat. I'm gonna yank the radiator on friday and take it to a guy in seneca and have it boiled and welded to hope it fixes the problem. Do you have any small leaks around the top of the radiator, could be loosin compression, along the same lines as a loose rad cap.

Update; Checked the oil today and it was down about a qt. Added some ana topped of the coolant, then drove it back here to school. Ran cool all the way. Would being a qt. low on oil make that much difference? The reason I didn't check the oil before, the pressure gauge was reading high now it is in the middle. ? I still may take out the t-stat this weekend.

Jon in NC said:
Update; Checked the oil today and it was down about a qt. Added some ana topped of the coolant, then drove it back here to school. Ran cool all the way. Would being a qt. low on oil make that much difference? The reason I didn't check the oil before, the pressure gauge was reading high now it is in the middle. ? I still may take out the t-stat this weekend.

Perhaps a cautionary note should be sounded. Never trust gauges
completely. Rountine inspections, especially after driving as a DD,
are your Cruiser's best friend....after you, of course.
I like mechanical gauges.

Losing oil and water aren't good. Find the source of any
such leaks. Sealed properly, oil/fluid losses should be minimal.
Good luck. Keep your eyes open.
One qt low should not make much, if any, kind of a difference
in engine temps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom