Newb to the site and just wanted to introduce myself, etc. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I've had several wheelers over the years 2 chevies ( 98 silverado and last one 86 K20 Diesel burb ), and 2 Yotas ( 86 2 wheel drive truck, 89 built crawler- 22re, 5:29's, Marlin 4.7 Tcase, quick locks )

So I sold the diesel burb the other day ... and have found a 91 LC to get. I'd prefer a 93=97 for the bigger motor , but all the ones I look at are near hammered, and pricey. So this 91 I'm going to go look at this Sunday only has 155k mileage and looks taken care of .

What are the pre purchase inspection tips you guys recommend for buying a LC ?

Thanks for your help ! and this site looks great !!!

grey%2091%20land%20cruiser%201_zps0jqc8xmc.jpg

Oh ok , Cool ! Thanks !

I think I saw that one on CL the other day when I was perusing the LA Craigslist. You can't go wrong with a 91-92. They are tanks. Bombproof motor. Yes, they are somewhat slow but they are torque monsters. I bought my 92 new when I was 16 and can say that I've never needed more power from it. The motor is incredibly easy to work on. Almost entirely mechanical. They tend to leak a little bit of oil and sound like the offspring of a John Deere and a Sewing machine. But they just keep running.

Read the Slee newbie buying guide. It's a good basis. I don't agree with everything in it but I'm partial to the 91-92. I don't think Lockers are as big of a deal for probably 95% of us. I've never gotten in to anything that I couldn't get out of.

If it's clean, buy it. Enjoy it. Wheel it. Try to break it. Have fun.

I bought my 92 new when I was 16.
I have heard you say that before, so I want to know. What kind of 16yo has the money to buy a new, top of the line, luxury suv???

I have heard you say that before, so I want to know. What kind of 16yo has the money to buy a new, top of the line, luxury suv???

I started delivering 903 papers a day when I was 12. Made $800/week + tips delivering papers. Saved my money. Also put my two older brothers, older sister, and mom through college and paid for the house and bills. I was a hustler yo! My piece of crap father left when I was 13 (officially but was gone long before that). I originally was saving to buy a 40 series. I fell in love with an 82 Freeborn red 40 but decided I didn't want to buy a "10 year old used vehicle" so I ordered my 80 as cheap as I could get it. No moonroof, no running boards, no roof rack, no leather, no cruise control. To my knowledge it is the only 80 series in North America without Cruise Control (according to Cruiser Dan all 80s came with it). IIRC it was a $285 option but every 80 came with it. 24 years later I'm glad I don't have any of those things and have a true poverty pack 80. If only I could've ordered it without power windows...

Power windows in an off road vehicle are the worst idea, ever. Wanna slap someone for that stupid idea.

Worst. Ever.

Well hopefully this silver one runs , shifts, stops, goes into low well .... I'll climb underneath and look for obvious leaks, etc. fingers crossed !

Just hope it's better than the burb .... which was cool, especially the no smog 6.2 diesel no mufflers... but was almost a ford with all the fixin and unreliability I had with it .... My last yota had 423k on it when I sold it...

Burb%20desolation_zpssztuuibw.jpg

Here's my last Yota ... I missed it after I sold it ....it just ran and ran and ran .... 5" lift, 5:29's, quicklocks, Marlin 4.7 Tcase, 22RE, downey ceramic header, K/N, etc.

yota%202_zpsvtsqkn3f.jpg

Just hope it's better than the burb .... which was cool, especially the no smog 6.2 diesel no mufflers... but was almost a ford with all the fixin and unreliability I had with it .... My last yota had 423k on it when I sold it...

Burb%20desolation_zpssztuuibw.jpg
Love the Suburban, but those 6.2s were terrible!

well it did make it nice for camping though , had a full size house beds top mattress in the back... the other cool thing was the 21 mpg all day long whether you were around town or on the freeway... and a 40 gallon tank was nice... but like I said before , lots of fixin... and too much of a PITA !

I will check the birfields ! Thanks !

Oh well ... this clown we had arranged to meet today in stockton, I had a ride all set up ... I then get a text from him saying he wouldn't be home till much later, and he'd text me when he was home or we could meet somewhere. I immediately texted back ... no answer, I immediately then called no answer of message.... so Gong ! I guess he didn't really want to sell it ! I further looked at other pics he sent ... and had wondered about being a 1991 and only 155k on it along with a brown interior and a silver exterior... I then looked at a pic showing the door jambs were tan and the exterior silver... hmmm sounded a lil suspicious... Next LC ...

91%20grey%20land%20cruisr%20interior%202_zpszbpm5jix.jpg

That isn't silver. That's champagne. It's a metallic beige. It looks silverish in some light.

well never the less ... it wasn't willing to meet when we arriged or return my text or call ... so c-ya ...he must not really wanted to sell it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom