Newb to the 100 Series - Some Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all. FJ60 owner here and I have absolutely fallen for the Land Cruiser line. So much so, that I want to make a 100 my daily driver. However, I live in Northern IL and we suffer from salty winters. Is a 100 as a DD a bad idea here? I see some for sale that really suffer from road salt and I would hate to do that to one (if found from a dry climate). Or is some rust on the undercarriage a right of passage with these? The 60 I have spent all of its life in dry NM and has low miles. It has an undercarriage that has some surface rust.

There is this one for sale near me, but shows a rust spot in the rear fender well. Is that a tip of the iceberg kind of thing or pretty easily repairable? Also, take a look at the tow hitch area! Without seeing this rig, I would bet the whole undercarriage looks like crap. Rest of the 168,000 mile rig is pretty decent, but I am guessing this would be a no go for most of you that look for clean LC's, right?
082b21f0c5284436b120f2da6bf721f3.jpg

0e2686bccbce479f801351f25c005cce.jpg

I have read the 100 FAQ section about what to look for when buying one. Any other "gotchas" that I need to be aware of that are specific to the 100? Timing belt at 90k or thereabouts for sure, maintenance records, and all the other stuff you look at when buying used. Anything else LC specific? I am thinking a later model year in the series makes sense for me. We are long time CO vacationers such that it is a second home for us. Have spent many miles over many passes in our original owner 1979 CJ-5. Love seeing these FZJ100 rigs all decked out for back country and want one for my own. Thanks for the advice.

So thats a lot of rust on the rear hitch. And Hitches usually are the a more rusty trouble component due to where they are located. But looking at that hitch. It looks bad. I would care to bet undercarriage pics would be BAD.. and depends on what you want to do with the car.. if daily driver.. I would skip it.

I would look around....Also I know this is a LC forum. but looking for similar vehicles. GX470, Sequoia 4x4 would be good to look at as well if you need something fast. Those cars are almost as reliable as the LC due to the shared parts these cars share with each other.

So thats a lot of rust on the rear hitch. And Hitches usually are the a more rusty trouble component due to where they are located. But looking at that hitch. It looks bad. I would care to bet undercarriage pics would be BAD.. and depends on what you want to do with the car.. if daily driver.. I would skip it.

I would look around....Also I know this is a LC forum. but looking for similar vehicles. GX470, Sequoia 4x4 would be good to look at as well if you need something fast. Those cars are almost as reliable as the LC due to the shared parts these cars share with each other.
agreed, can almost guarantee the rear cross member behind that plastic bumper cover is rusty toast

Yeah, I figured you guys would say that. Not surprised. That hitch receiver looks really bad. Not sure it will be worth a 3 hour round trip to see it. There are more to choose from nationwide. I hadn't thought of the GX470. Wanted to stay in the LC line, but that is definitely an option. I am in no hurry. They are essentially the same rig, no (FZJ100 v. GX470)?

They are essentially the same rig, no (FZJ100 v. GX470)?

No, not at all. The GX is based on the Prado. It's smaller and doesn't have the split gate. The LX is the same as the normal TLC 100 series with a few differences. The drivetrain is similar between GX, LX, and the TLC 100 (and Sequoia, and Tundra, etc).

Yeah, I figured you guys would say that. Not surprised. That hitch receiver looks really bad. Not sure it will be worth a 3 hour round trip to see it. There are more to choose from nationwide. I hadn't thought of the GX470. Wanted to stay in the LC line, but that is definitely an option. I am in no hurry. They are essentially the same rig, no (FZJ100 v. GX470)?
I just bought an LX and the listing didn't have any pictures of the underbody. I contacted the seller and asked if they could take a couple pictures and send them to me and they were perfectly fine doing it. Might be worth asking, worst they can say is no. If they won't show you the frame I would be a little suspicious about what else they don't want you to discover

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom