Newb ????? More your patience is appreciated (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First 60 mile trip with the cruiser tonight. It ran great but seemed pretty underpowered? It is a 1991 with sunroof, pdl,pw, tilt, cruise 4spd auto with overdrive but I've been trying to find info and it sounds more like a 1992 with the options it has. A couple of questions are these pretty gutless at highway speeds? what is the original tire size. There are 31x10.5x15's on there now. I looked in the FAQ and google search but besides 155 HP and 220 FPT I can't find any info. I'm looking for tire size mostly. Also the this rig has no spare and the chain to hand the spare is gone can I just feed another chain into the pulley crank thingy. Also were is the tag with the tire size I figured it would be on the doors but I can't find it.

By all accounts that I have heard so far, the 3FE powered 80s are far from rocketships. They will get you where you want to go for a long long time but you won't be traveling too fast. The FZJ-80s came with 275/70/16s which is pretty close to a 31/10.50, so your tire size is about right. No experience with the spare chain, but you could try it............
Good luck,
Dan

The 3FEs I've driven were pretty gutless at all speeds. I don't think there were really any significant differences between 91-92, I believe all those options you listed were available in 91, the tag on the drivers door should have the build date as well as the original tire size. Pretty sure the (optional) tire size was 31x10.5x15 or the metric equivalent.

Doing some calculations for gears and stuff what is the model number of the tranny in this baby. I wish I had a chiltons right now. Pulls fine at speed but acceleration is slow. Holds great old pressure, no pings, knocks etc. No smoke or signs of issues. AC compressor is free but won't kick on. I bet the freon is low or something. What is a common gear ratio for these? With that overdrive seems like 4.88s would be perfect.

Sorry not familiar with the gear ratios, however just want to keep you from wasting your money on the Chilton's, I have it and it is pretty crappy, I had the 93 FSM (factory service manual) for my 93 FZJ80, there is no replacement for it, it is very in depth, well worth the investment. The FZJ manual was around $75 IIRC, I recommend you order it (and any other parts you need) from cruiserdan.

Ditto what Ben said. Don't waste your $ on chiltons go ahead and get a FSM from Dan its worth every penny. And yes unless you talk to certain individuals the 3FE is a dog pretty much at all speeds. Granted it is a dog that can run the Idaterod(sp) turn around at the end and run it again with little thought but a dog all the same.

You have a A440 tranny in the cruiser with 4.10 diff gears. You may want to look at the FAQ on this site or go to Sleeoffroad and look at the newbie section to have some of your questions answered. As for your tire size, those are stock ones. Remember you truck was built for the highways of 1993 and most speed limits then were 55 MPH, your truck will get the best ecomony and like life at or around this speed. good luck robbie

I've got the whole assembly for the spare I took off my '94. If Dan can confirm that it will fit your '91 undercarriage, I'll let it go for $20 bucks plus shipping.

Technically, the 91-92 stock tire size was 235/75R15s on steel rims. In US models; however, it is very difficult to find that combo, and they are usually on early 1991 models only. Almost all came with the 31x10.5R15 tires on aluminum rims. Stock gearing is 4.10.

Yup, you're not getting up to the speed limit very fast, and they travel best at about 50-55mph, where you can actually get pretty good gas mileage. Mine doesn't like doing 75 too much, but will do it on flat terrain.

-H-

I have aluminum wheels but the doorplate says 235/75/15. I found it in the daylight. I also have a limited slip out back. Works pretty good on flat ground but climbed a steep hill and just one tire would spin. The clutches could be getting weak. What brand limited slip would come in these from the factory. I guess I could check my speedo with my GPS and see if it is correct or reading too slow. Love the truck. I need to get my front hub fixed so the 4wd will acutally work. Manufacture date shows 12/90

No factory LSD on the 91-92. If you are thinking of regearing and keeping the same tire size I suggest you rethink. It won't make it any faster. Like refug said. It is a dog ( I have a 91 also) but it never dies and goes anywhere. I am running 10.5x33 and am thinking of going with 4.56 instead of 4.88 as the 4.56 gets you back to almost stock with a bit of OD. 4.88's will get you started faster but you are in the wrong vehicle if you want to race to the next stoplight. When you say fix the front hub do you mean you have locking hubs? They were not standard as the vehicle is full time 4.

No I just bought this a couple days ago. Got it cheap because they thought the tranny or TCase was toast. I found the splines on the right front hub stripped. Drive fine with the Diff lock on but won't move just grinds with the diff lock off. I'm getting a new birfield this week. I found a flange and a birf at the wrecking yard but they wanted 150 bucks for a used birf and I found another one for 60 bucks. I read somewhere where these came with a limited slip. Sure acts like one on flat ground as it digs with both tires but on a steep hill only one will pull. I'd sure like to find a set of axles off a later 80 with the diff locks and a rear full floater. There is a full floater at the wrecking yard but it is mostly just the housing. Will my third member work with that housing. The shafts and third member are gone.

I doubt your rear will work with the full floater housing, but C-Dan could let you know for sure.

No LSD in 1992, unless one was added aftermarket. You can "cheat" an open diff into being a sort-of LSD by application of the parking brake, but you risk trashing the spider gears.

I wouldn't drive around too much on pavement with the center diff lock on. Too much torque to the one good birf on the front, which may cause some drivetrain bind up and damage the axle or t-case.

-H-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom