Newb looking at 80 or 4Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everybody. I just joined and have been lurking for a while. I am trying to decide between an 80 or a 4runner. I am going to trade my 07 Taco in on one of these: http://showroom.auction123.com/seasell_inc/inventory/6415/JT3HN87R8Y0308301.html
or
1995 Toyota Land Cruiser 4WD
I havent seen the 80 yet it is an hour and a half away from me.
The 4runner is pretty nice and has a elocker in it. For the 1st year I will not molest which ever one I get and mostly use it for beach driving with the family. It will be my daily driver. The reason for no mods the first year is that I recently transfered with my job and have to sell my home in another state and pay rent on apartment before I will have discretionary funds to spend. Money is not tight just being cautious in this economy. I am leaning towards the 80 as I have always liked them, I am just trying to decide on the best DD for living at the beach. Also I need it to be reliable. Of course I will not have a car payment which ever way I go. Just trying to get some advice.
Thanks
Ed

Last edited:
I have had experience with both and can say the LC80 is a over all better rounded.. yeah yeah I maybe a little biased. But the LC has more room, and is wider and more comfortable on long trips.
Do you know if the LC80 has lockers? Very clean overall. The froont driver's seat can me recovered. (you can find vendors on mud)..

Go with the 80 and welcome :flipoff2:

For the family I would definitely go with the 80. I had a 4Runner and its a great rig, but IMO is too cramped for a family. The 80 is built like a tank, has plenty of space, and will get you where you need to go.

Search for 80/4runner on here. There have been a couple threads started.

D

Disclaimer: I'm not much of a wheeler (yet!!!).

Depends on what you need it for/what you want out of it. If you want quick-and-nimble and still very good off-road, I say go with the runner; if you want a slow-deliberate-and-super-capable giant, go with the 80...after that, ditto what everyone else has said already.

Oh, and I've driven both a runner and an 80, and for whatever reason, I just like driving the 80 better (no contest for me). Either way, both are great IMO.

I would get the 4runner hands down...

Naw I'm just kidding seriously I would get the 80. :flipoff2: My aunt had a 4runner and it was a good vehicle and I would drive it from time to time but nothing beats the feeling of driving the 80 I don't know what it is but I love it. I don't think you could really go wrong with either but who doesn't want more room, and you can't beat saying you drive a Land Cruiser.

To me 4-5 mpg is no big deal. Just looking for a dependable rig that is capable stock until I can start modding when house get sold. A mortgage and apartment rent is a pain, and in this market it could take a while. I need a vehicle that I can do most of the work myself that you dont need to be a computer genious to change the spark plugs or oil. It will be mostly be used to drive the beach and to start scouting deer hunting areas with out getting stuck. I am looking at the 80 next week (monday?) after getting back from Tennessee for Christmas. The big factor will be the condition of the 80 when I go to look at it. Anything in particular I should look for. Also I am a former longtime owner of Jeeps and looking to upgrade so to speak, something with a little more comfort. And thanks for the replies.

We just purchased our 80 almost 2 weeks ago. At the time, we test drove a '98 4Runner after driving the 80. Hands down, the 80 drove nicer.

On the other hand - the 4Runner will be less expensive to maintain. Parts for the LC are expensive. Having two of them, I KNOW how pricey things can get even if you are not modifying them. CruiserDan had a great post a while back regarding this. (See above post for link.)

Buy what is right for you and your application. Both can be great vehicles.

In the long run, the 80 will be the overall rig.

Had a 4runner, they seem to be prone to rust around the rear quarter panels/hatch area..

I love my 93FZJ80. 4Runner is a great model Toyota too.

You mentioned family. One reason I bought an 80 over something smaller was the 3rd row. We have two kids but they still get used pretty often with friends, group trips, etc.

Looking back at things right now ive come to the conclusion that a modded 80 isnt for me. maybe a stock, or near stock is; but with that said i would entertain the idea of a 2000'ish 4runner.
Dont get me wrong. my LC hasent let me down yet, and everything i have put it through it trucked along with no complaints. If i lived on a larger property with a big garage or barn like i did in california, id def keep it; but ironically enough, in michigan i live in a normal sized house with a normal sized garage and an abnormal amount of cars!
If you arent looking to go all out on your rig and want something thats realistic for daily use, a 4runner would be perfect.
my LC gets way more attention than i would like. everytime i go shopping or pump gas (and i pump a lot of gas...), someone has to ask me something about it. its great that people are interested, but it gets old real quick.

No matter what you choose, its not the end of the world. if you dont like it, or it isnt for you. just sell it and get the other one! you probably wont even be out of pocket by much if any realistically...

Thanks for the replies. I am looking at both on monday. The 4runner has had timing belt done 4k miles ago and it has the elocker on it. The 80 I havent gotten any info on will have to see.

yeah i bought my 80 in january as my daily driver. i drive a lot for work. 1200 a month in gas. needless to say i picked up a smaller toyota for gas mileage :D but your damn right i still have my 80. its my baby. one of the best purchases i've ever made.

i saw on the 80 ad the 919 area code. I'm flying into RDU wednesday night and would be more than happy to take a look at the cruiser for you. I'm no mechanic but have learned a ton of stuff about these rigs and what to look for. so i can't fix it (on the spot) but can find most problems

I would definately say 80 over the 4runner with a family just for size alone it is really cramped in a 4 runner.

bwr, I appreciate the offer but I am down in Wilmington and I will hopefully have it by then. I was going up to look at it today but am waiting until tomorrow because of the weather.
Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom