Newb. here! (1 Viewer)

What alarm/keyless route would you take?

• Install a complete rs3000 system

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Go a newer route such as viper, etc.

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Mudders. Just picked up my first 80 and wanted to say, "hi." You've all created a great site here (little ad heavy, but mods need to get paid) and hopefully I'll be able to contribute one day.

Always wanted an 80 and due to trickle down economics I could finally afford one. Picked up a 95 in dark green from a little old lady (2nd owner of 18 years) with 200k on the odomi. and a stack of receipts. I am in the process of fixing whats broken and baselining it.

I wanted to ask everyone that if your rig did not come with the rs3000 vip system would you want to add one OR would you stay away from it and have some other newer form of alarm/keyless system installed? From my searching it's not really clear what the best move would be as a lot of you love it as well as hate it.

Thanks everyone!
C.

Last edited:
A) run from the rs3000 as quick as you can

II) but a membership and you won’t get ads

3) welcome :flipoff2:

I "installed" an Avitel unit last summer. Came with the remote starter. Well worth it.

Wait. What?! I can pay to get rid of these annoying ads? Will I get a sweet "80's members only" jacket along with it?

The best mod I ever did was rip out the RS3000 system by the roots. No replacement.

I get about 110 yards of range from my viper.. i get about 2-3 feet from the rs3000.

Thanks for all the responses. It sounds like it's a "no brainer!" And I don't need to worry about ripping out a rats nest of wires.

More negatives for the RS3000. IH8ThatBastid.

Anything else is better than that crap.

I'm in the minority. My '93 came with the RS3000. It works for me. But they again, I just use it to lock and unlock the doors. The alarm part is in "valet" mode, so the alarm is basically disabled.

The best mod I ever did was rip out the RS3000 system by the roots. No replacement.

Now your talkin! My rig has never had an alarm and it never will. Just lots of extra crap to go wrong. Car alarms go off all the time and nobody even looks in that direction any more. Kinda like wheel locks: if they really want it, they will get it.

When I hear a car alarm I think to myself... hopefully they just steal it soon so the noise goes away.

Worst offender for car alarms is newer minivans in the Costco parking lot.

Now your talkin! My rig has never had an alarm and it never will. Just lots of extra crap to go wrong. Car alarms go off all the time and nobody even looks in that direction any more. Kinda like wheel locks: if they really want it, they will get it.

So true!
The reason I ripped it out is because it went off on it's own in the parking lot of Buffalo Wild Wings. Nothing was around it and then it locked me out and wouldn't allow it to start.
Fortunately, I have never even owned a key fob for it, and after trying the unlock/disable function with the key, it still wouldn't let me start.

I had a small set of tools with me so I used the key to unlock the door (of course setting off the alarm again) and opened the hood, then disconnected the battery for 10 minutes to clear it.

NOBODY looked twice at me while I did this in a busy parking lot. If you swear at it like you own it everyone will ignore you because it's "normal".

After I hooked up the battery, it cleared it, I drove home, and proceeded to rip it out. I didn't even wait another day because I didn't want to be stranded someplace because of it.

I got rid of the wheel locks right after I bought the truck. I had to pound a socket onto them and used an impact to remove. Once I realized how EASY it was to remove them WITHOUT the special tool, I realized how POINTLESS they really are.

No alarm .They will leave you stranded .

https://forum.ih8mud.com/account/upgrades

You can buy a gold star. Mud has saved me much more on repairs. It’s the least I could do.

Thanks for the heads up on this. Been here a while and just didn't know. lol I'm all membered up now.

And to the op: I got a key fob off eBay for the RS3000 and just lock it manually and use the fob to unlock(otherwise the alarm goes off randomly). A Viper upgrade is in the plans for this summer fo sho.

Those alarms have shock sensors and personally I don't think the shock sensors last forever on off road vehicles. Mine was annoying and left me stranded in the middle of nowhere. I would advise against any alarm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom