Newb addicted with buying questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm new here, what a wonderful community, so much valuable information. I've spent many hours reading. My wife and I were in the market for a used minivan for our family and everything was expensive and worn and well, a minivan. So, we stumbled across a really nice 98 LC and it's now ours. The problem now, I really want one for myself to replace my Tundra. So, my situation below.

A question I've researched, but it seems really hard to pin down since each situation is unique. How many miles is too many. I've found one I think I like but need to drive a few hours to go see it. The problem, it is a 97 with 250K+ miles. The owner sounds like an older gentleman and he and his wife were very knowledgeable about the maintenance history. I'm a total newb when it comes to auto terms and pretty sure the owner may be too, so let me tell you what he said. On the HG, he said it was taken care of, he said it was "resurfaced". Does this truly mean it was fixed correctly? On the front axle, he said it started making some noises, so he said the work was done on the front axle, he said "the main bearings were replaced". Is that sufficient? Also done, new radiator, new belts, new tires, new shocks. Can't remember status on breaks. All work done by local shop run by former Toyota/Lexus mechanic. The only problem he said it had is a small oil leak. He made it sound minor like an occasional drip, but that's all he said and I didn't know what else to ask about it. Hopefully something I can troubleshoot and fix myself. Or is this indication of something else potentially bigger wrong? It seems all the major things that can go wrong have been addressed. I didn't ask about PHH but don't think he'd know what I was talking about. Am I missing anything?

I'm looking for this to be my DD. I work from home and only take and pick up my son from school. So only drive 7K miles a year or so. I figure 5 years from now I'd be around 300K or so and hopefully then make it a 3rd vehicle. My wife probably thinks I'm crazy for my new addiction. Sounds like this is a common problem, lol. So, is this a reasonable vehicle in the $5K range? No lockers. Prices here in CA are all over the board. A similar one with 200K miles and a few minor mods went for $10K. Also, is there a premium on the anniversary edition? Thanks for any help you can provide!

Everything sounds reasonable try and find a mud member near you to go visit the car with you so you can get a second set of eyes. 250 000 is just getting warmed up

Ask to see/have the receipts of the work that was done. The front axle and the head gasket are the 2 biggest issues that need attention and you want to make sure they were done correctly. Is the guy driving it now?

Location ? it sounds decent but it's also worth considering looking at the southern( AZ, TX etc) truck and traveleing to pick it up.... I had not quams at picking mine up with 195k..... PM and baselineing it is crucial IMHO.

it is an addiction.... as its Mud.... my GF barely tolerates it...

Ask to see/have the receipts of the work that was done. The front axle and the head gasket are the 2 biggest issues that need attention and you want to make sure they were done correctly. Is the guy driving it now?

They are having the records faxed to them from Toyota and I'm told they consist of front end maintenance which the wife described as bushings, axle shaft, etc. Also records for tranny maintenance and brakes. I'll have to ask about the records for the HG. It's an older couple that have since gotten a new car, so I understand they were driving it up until recently.

Wondering why it would need an axle shaft? I can picture the old couple rock climbing with it now.
:cool: "Lets see what this thing can do before we sell it honey"

If its got a good maintenance history then that puts it way ahead of other vehicles with a sketchy service past. It sounds like your big ticket items have been taken care of, radiator, front axle service, and the head gasket. On the HG what they meant by resurfaced is that the head was taken off and planed down to where it was even all the way across.

having actual records and an owner that is willing to share those is a really good sign... !

Wondering why it would need an axle shaft? I can picture the old couple rock climbing with it now.
:cool: "Lets see what this thing can do before we sell it honey"

Here's a better quote, she said "axle shaft work"... probably just speaking in general. Or maybe they did go get crazy. :)

check out the Clubhouse section for MUD members closest to you - there's a tab at the very top of this page you can click which gets you to the Clubhouses

Figuring an average of 12,000 to 15,000 miles per year, a 97 with average mileage should have between 204,000 and 255,000 miles. So you're right in there. If you can find one with 8-10K average annual miles that would be a peach. Having the service records is great, another thing I would look for is regular (30-60K mile) tranny servicing to make sure the fluid wasn't allowed to go too long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom