New Year's trailride: Walnut Canyon (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Meet at Gold Canyon Basha's at 9:00am

more details tomorrow...

hope your feeling better:cheers:

Thanks, not quite yet. So Tools suggested since I'm bailing on the Gap run that I make myself useful and scope maps and Google Earth for a run on Thursday...

Thanks for the offer, it's difficult to predict from our end since all interested (I assume) parties are running the Gap tomorrow and won't return until oh-dark thirty...

I ended up not going on today's run but will be doing Telegraph tomorrow morning with some friends (4Runner, Jeep, and 2 Fords). We will be in the same area...maybe we can hook up. I'll call Kevin on my way out.

Telegraph is the trail I took the group on that has the mini lions back then a hard hill climb back to Lower Devils Canyon. It's just S of Oak Flat N of Superior.

A little late, but still this year...:D

Red is the Walnut Canyon trail as in the Wells book.

Green is the Battleaxe trail as in the Massey book.

Other colors are existing jeep trails on topo maps.

We'll run red and check out a few of the others...

Last edited:

Telegraph is the trail I took the group on that has the mini lions back then a hard hill climb back to Lower Devils Canyon. ...

I crunched a rock light on that climb. :)
I hadn't gotten around to replacing it since then.
I crunched what was left of the rock light in Elvis on Sunday. :)

It appears that the placement of said rock light left something to be desired...:hmm:

fantastic day today :bounce:

man is it scenic out there

we picked up an unsuspecting stock FJ Cruiser and introduced them to CSC-type wheeling :lol:

It's awesome back there...:cool:
DSC_3824a.jpg
DSC_3826a.jpg

Scenery no fitta in the camera thingy:doh:;p
P1010055 (Medium).JPG
P1010058 (Medium).JPG
P1010062 (Medium).JPG

More...:bounce::bounce2:
P1010064 (Medium).JPG
P1010063 (Medium).JPG

Keeping an eye on the Germans;)
Scaring the :censor: out of the rookies:doh:
Heading out at "duskish" time:D
P1010072 (Medium).JPG
P1010074 (Medium).JPG
P1010078 (Medium).JPG

I well remember the Walnut Canyon area. It is beautiful!
It is one of the few things that I miss about living in the Valley.
When My daughter was no more than a basketful, we tramped the areas around Florence, Superior and Globe. The Pinal mountains are beautiful any time of the year.
I learned to wheel in a one-wheel drive desert buggy. Then I moved to a short-box Montero. In both of those, I knew what to expect. They both had limits. I was used to wheeling in desert canyons or driving fast on mountain roads.
When I got my 80, I moved north. The situation is different here. I have to learn a very different kind of wheeling. Most trails are high shelf roads. One third of the year, the trails are covered with ice. I am not used to this. The consequences of failure are high!
Driving along the top of a cliff on a sheet of ice for several miles will bring out the the anal pucker factor in a hurry!
But the rewards are wondrous! Sitting on top of the world in an 80, the King of all that I survey, is great! Snow-covered mountains as far as I can see!
My wife and daughter next to me, we reach the summit! But it's cold. We'll go home to sit by the fireplace. It is warmer there!

I always remembered the roads ending at Walnut and White canyons. When I found out that there was a trail that looped around Walnut Canyon, I had to check it out. As you can see, it did not disappoint. This one goes on my must see again list.:cheers:

Oh!
Now you are tweaking my ears!
I know the trail that you are talking about, and I always wondered where it goes?
Let me know where you end up.

Oh!
Now you are tweaking my ears!
I know the trail that you are talking about, and I always wondered where it goes?
Let me know where you end up.

Its about a 20 mile loop. It goes west up on the mountain ridge and south to the Gila river. We ended up back were we started, on Battleaxe Rd.:steer:

Its about a 20 mile loop. It goes west up on the mountain ridge and south to the Gila river. We ended up back were we started, on Battleaxe Rd.:steer:
Its listed in the Wells book, I don't know how we ever missed it.:eek:

maybe the books wasn't out yet when you used to go there :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom