New Year's Day No-Snow Run - Jemez (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is shaping up to be well attended. Exact route and destination currently uncertain (as of 12/28) but I propose we meet at the Bad Ass Coffee/Big O tire parking lot on Hwy 550 in Bernalillo at 9:00. Then we can meet up with the Espanola/Los Alamos contingent at the La Cueva store (Hwy 4 and 126 intersection) about 10:15. One suggestion has been FR 4 for a route. Below is the list of people that are definite or tentative:

@marcfj60: Marc, Danise, Paige (and maybe Colin)
@Chompers: Chris
@slimbuddha: Ron
@krecon1: Keith, Han, Mom, Kiddos
@Dumpolina: Grant
@pappy: Jon
@alia176: Ali
@Pyro-boy: Vince (Espanola)
@jgonzales55: ??? + dad (Los Alamos)
@theocruiser: Matt
@evanz80: Evan and Ellen

If you've got a route you like or somewhere you want to try, post it up. I will have my MVUM and my FS Map with me so we can see what's available and legal at the meeting locations. If you're new to trail runs, make sure you bring some food for lunch, water, spare clothing, warm blankets/sleeping bags and some emergency supplies just in case.

Having a CB or Ham radio is a big plus but if you don't have one we can put you in the middle of the pack. You won't know what's going on but at least you'll be stuck in the middle of it all.

If anyone wants to call me be before or the morning of my cell # is 505 - two NINE two - oh SIX 36

- Marc A.

Last edited:
I am interested and Ellen is a maybe. I know Chris (aka Chompers) is also interested. Most of you have met Chris - he has the nice 4Runner previously owned by Lurch. Maybe Lurch needs to come out and play also?

As far as location, I'm open to anywhere, but the Jemez is a traditional spot. Marc - the loop we did last time near Ponderosa could be an option, or else maybe those forest roads up at the top of the hill past La Cueva on the way to Fenton Lake. I am open to anything, just want to get the truck snowy, muddy or even dusty.

I'm scheduled to work New Year's Day, but If I can get someone to fill my spot we'll go. I know the boys would like to bust out their sleds!

I'm most likely in. Thank you for getting this on the radar Marc!

Snow, or no snow, I'm game for a day in the forest.

Looks pretty dry for the next week or so.

Cuba_Wx.JPG

Even if there's no snow I'll probably go anyway. Its good to be in the hills on 1/1

I'm with Pappy and Grant - going with snow or no snow.

If there's no snow, I'll bring the low rider.....

I updated the thread title to be more accurate.

Marc mentioned Mt Taylor in another thread. My goal would be to actually use 4wd... I’m hopeful there may be some snow in Jemez but if not there are some other options for low range in the area. Mt taylor may yet get snow, but those areas may be closed by then. If they are, the other options I know of are mostly dusty gravel roads which to me are not awesome, especially when there’s a few vehicles.
Just my .02 fwiw

I've been to the Jemez a bunch of times and I've only scratched the surface. It's a great place to try something new and a lot more interesting than a flat, dusty gravel road.

Yes! 4 low would be preferable.

I prefer a no snow, Snow Run. I have never been to Mt Taylor, so that sounds good to me!

Vince

I'd like to Join! I've been wanting to get out there with the group especially since I finished the rebuild and everything is working well.

I've never been to Mt. Taylor either and would be down to explore that way, even though it would be more hiway miles

311290CF-7BA4-4494-BEB2-94C7ACFCA2D0.jpeg
3DFC024A-8D77-4BD1-A4C6-7C107D48C154.jpeg
2” in the shade on north faces up by Gallina peak, +/- 8500’

It's a go as long as enough people show up to make it a go. I'm not sure if I'm going yet but I don't think that should influence others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom