new wiring to replace rats nest (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This will be my first post but I've been reading numerous threads for years to gather as much info about FJs. I have been slowly bringing my Non US FJ45 Troopy up in the world and the last and final chore is gutting the hatchet job of wiring that i've been mending as needed. I understand Coolerman is out of the bizz so I ordered a 14 circuit kit with blade fuses. I'd be much obliged for any insight or tips. I am a commercial controls electrician so I have a pretty good idea what I'm doing but this ride was a different voltage once and is also Australian so ...

This will be my first post but I've been reading numerous threads for years to gather as much info about FJs. I have been slowly bringing my Non US FJ45 Troopy up in the world and the last and final chore is gutting the hatchet job of wiring that i've been mending as needed. I understand Coolerman is out of the bizz so I ordered a 14 circuit kit with blade fuses. I'd be much obliged for any insight or tips. I am a commercial controls electrician so I have a pretty good idea what I'm doing but this ride was a different voltage once and is also Australian so ...
The main confusion is in the Stop/hazard/brake circuits. those that have rewired have had success recreating the original circuit. If you have an aftermarket GM style column then an aftermarket harness is easy.

Agree with @Jdc1 about the way the turn signals and hazzards are wired. Once you get the idea it makes sense, but at first it seems counter intuitive. Who's harness did you get.

The harness I ordered had a taillight circuit that was too short to reach all the way to the back of an FJ45 long bed. I had to add 3' to all the rear light wiring. Not a big deal, but something to watch for. As others mentioned, the turn signal/hazard thing will require replicating what Toyota did, rather than following the GM standard.

Agree with @Jdc1 about the way the turn signals and hazzards are wired. Once you get the idea it makes sense, but at first it seems counter intuitive. Who's harness did you get.
I ordered a Kwaik brand 14 circuit. One of the main reasons I’m doing this is that the amount of shorts small and large across the whole vehicle kills the battery so I’m running a knife switch on top. When I pump the breaks the headlights light up. Too confusing for the fuzz to be cool with. Having said that every time I’m stopped the officer just wants to ask me about the car and send me on my way. I’m using the non us wiring diagram for the 82-84 FJ40/45. There will be some foul language.

The harness I ordered had a taillight circuit that was too short to reach all the way to the back of an FJ45 long bed. I had to add 3' to all the rear light wiring. Not a big deal, but something to watch for. As others mentioned, the turn signal/hazard thing will require replicating what Toyota did, rather than following the GM standard.
Tha is for the heads up

Tha is for the heads up
Of course thank you for the heads up.

D7CEA8AE-E9A3-4C5F-820F-AE4904B37A58.jpeg

9DB79559-8347-4051-BD63-C16F5E762393.jpeg

5C6724AE-8BB8-49F0-B067-5BEC79DD2AA6.jpeg

6DCBFC25-A796-4F90-A16F-88F1A12E9B8E.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom