New Wipers OE vs Aftermarket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thank you ALL for your work on this subject... I switched out the original stock blades for ICONS and they chattered so bad I had to Rain X my windshield and use Orange Rain X windshield wiper cleaner to keep blades somewhat smooth to the windshield...
I'm ordering the good OEM's and staying with them...

Thanks again,

Jeff

That brings up another windshield pet peeve of mine.

I HATE rainx.

Yes, many people swear by it.. but IMO it upsets how the wipers are supposed to work. When cleaning the windshield with the wipers, for example, the blades are supposed to leave behind a very thin film that evaporates quickly. Rainx makes this thin film bead up and not evaporate evenly. Probably not much of an issue in a rainy place like the PNW but in Texas where it’s mostly dry but dust necessitates daily cleaning... and when your wipers work as well as the factory ones on a 200, rainx is totally unnecessary on the windshield or back glass.

one of the first things I do when I buy a used car is try to remove the rainx on those panels.

RainX extreme clean did well on a few vehicles, but it doesn’t seem to be working on my recently acquired E320. Next stop is an orbital and glass polish.

I've bought a few used Toyotas. Every one had aftermarket wiper blades, my 15 LC included. One of the first things I've done is put OEM blades back on and then change the rubber inserts every couple years. No wiper blade can make it thru more than two texas summers in great shape, and the toyota replacement rubber inserts are not expensive. Top non-oem blades are quite expensive in comparison.

I replace the inserts with Toyota’s OEM usually before the winter and again before the summer. But for the life of me I can’t figure out why the hell my passenger side wiper won’t stop chattering. It been doing it for so long I just gave up and just use rain-x and rarely use my wipers.

I replace the inserts with Toyota’s OEM usually before the winter and again before the summer. But for the life of me I can’t figure out why the hell my passenger side wiper won’t stop chattering. It been doing it for so long I just gave up and just use rain-x and rarely use my wipers.
FWIW I accidentally cracked the windshield on my wife’s LX recently changing her wiper blades. I took the whole blade off to change the insert and the arm popped the windshield.

I always put a folded towel on the windshield and lower the arm anytime the blade is off. Now I remember why.

FWIW I accidentally cracked the windshield on my wife’s LX recently changing her wiper blades. I took the whole blade off to change the insert and the arm popped the windshield.

Wow.
That is weird.
Seems like you must have either crazy-strong springs in your wipers...or that was an off-brand windshield...?

Hope so, cuz that’s pretty sad.

Wow.
That is weird.
Seems like you must have either crazy-strong springs in your wipers...or that was an off-brand windshield...?

I have also seen this happen, the arm smacks down on the glass and... Yup time for a new windshield. So I always do the same, put a towel down before pulling the old blade off to swap.

Verify that the end of the arm is at the correct angle in relation to the windshield. If something rotated the arm and the blade isn't roughly perpendicular it can contribute to chatter.

The other possibility is the bushings that the blade swivels on have worn. Maybe try a new blade instead of just inserts.

Personally I hate rainx. It significantly contributes to streaking if you use the windshield washer because it breaks up what is supposed to be an evenly evaporating film into tiny drops.

Wow.
That is weird.

OEM wipers and OEM windshield. The dude at the glass place said it happens all the time.

Thats what I get for trying to do a good deed.

Verify that the end of the arm is at the correct angle in relation to the windshield. If something rotated the arm and the blade isn't roughly perpendicular it can contribute to chatter.
That would be great if I knew What the proper angle looked like? Do you have a reference I can use sir?

That would be great if I knew What the proper angle looked like? Do you have a reference I can use sir?

Maybe compare to the drivers side if it isn’t chattering. Also compare to how tight/loose the blade is in relation to the arm.

I still remember the quality of the 90915-20004 OEM oil filters before Toyota cheapened out the US markets with adequate but poorer quality replacements. May be US owners do not wish to pay for quality replacement parts? May be Corporate HQ is applying every trick in the book for maximizing profits?
oil filters are still produced/mfg by the same company, just from a different plant located in Thailand vs, Japan. Same supplier, and same spec.

oil filters are still produced/mfg by the same company, just from a different plant located in Thailand vs, Japan. Same supplier, and same spec.

The 20004 JDM filters have an entirely different internal structure and filtering media. The made in Thaliland filters are conventional pleated paper. A world of difference if you open them up and compare side by side.

I prefer the OEM blades with the LX570 wiper inserts. The Lexus inserts are definitely different and are much more quiet than the original OEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom