New wheels will I need new studs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gr8Pmkn

SILVER Star
Threads
I ordered new Ion 171 wheels with 3.5" BS. gorilla lug nuts and BFG 33x10.50 tires for my '76 FJ40. I am going from steel wagon wheels and am wondering if the stud length is adequate? Thanks in advance, Lee

likely won’t need new studs but hard to know for sure. one thing i’ve done with the aluminum wheels i’ve used is get the gorilla lug nuts with the collar. then the acorn will engage on the rim but you’ll have threads catching inside the rim hole as well.

something like this but appropriate size for your wheel...
F94A5CEC-267F-4EAB-8FFE-FABABAC817CB.png

likely won’t need new studs but hard to know for sure. one thing i’ve done with the aluminum wheels i’ve used is get the gorilla lug nuts with the collar. then the acorn will engage on the rim but you’ll have threads catching inside the rim hole as well.

something like this but appropriate size for your wheel...

Thanks, hopefully that is what they ordered for me, I wasn't aware they had the collar to secure more threads and that was my concern.

Most aluminum mag wheels are made with machined flat spaces around the stud holes, to take the flat-collared lug nuts. The flat collars give more surface area to apply the force of the lug nut. Stock steel wheels have 60-degree tapered seats, that require lug nuts made for them. They are not interchangeable, even though either will thread on to the stud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom