New Weatherstripping - Doors won't close (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As the title says, I replaced the front door weatherstripping on my new-to-me 1970 FJ40. The previous weatherstripping was thin, dried out and cracked. The doors rattled terribly. I bought new repro weatherstripping from SOR (124-03A and 124-03B). Now that I have put the doors back on, they won't close! I know this weatherstripping is thicker but I thought it would compress. Even if I push on the doors hard, they won't latch. I looked at the OEM weatherstripping and it seems identical to the repro. Other posts talk about adjusting the hinges where they connect to the pillar. I have loosened the bolts on bottom hinge but it doesn't seem like there is a lot of play. I haven't pulled the dash apart yet to try and get to the upper hinge plate.

Adjust the door latch/catch.

Push it closed and go to bed.

Door doesn't even come close to the latch. I start feeling resistance when I am about 2" away from the latch. By the time I start pushing hard, I can see the door by the hinges start flexing.

Photo Jan 15, 8 29 59 PM.jpg

This is about as close as I can get without resistance.

Photo Jan 15, 8 29 18 PM.jpg

This is the new weatherstripping installed

On my 77 I had the same problem. I had to adjust the hinges on the door side to get a better fit. I also realized the latch mechanism in the door was aftermarket and wasnt latching to the second catch. I replaced with a new OEM unit and my doors shut all the way now and seal up very well.

Hi, Glue down the rubber better, I think it's turning sideways. Mike

x2 on the hinge adjustment. You'll have to loosen all the bolts on the hinges on the A pillar. If you ever pull off your doors, might be a convenient time to go QuickHinge since loosening the bolts is 75% of the battle. Quik Hinge Installation

Last edited:
Thanks. I'll pull the doors back off, remove weatherstripping, clean, and reattach. I like the Quick Hinges but I only plan to take the doors on and off once a year. It looks like fun getting to the upper A-pillar bolts!

Just in case, I decided to order new OEM weatherstripping from City Racer. I'll be more careful attaching it this time!

Yes. I applied the weatherstripping to the doors in my heated shop.

I had similar issue with even the excellent CityRacer weatherstripping...fix was loosening the inner hinge bolts and adjusting how tight the door closes at the latch as well. I hope you are ready for a fight because the upper hinge bolt on the passenger side is a real b!#ch to get loose!
I had to resort to some very brutal measures to get it out finally! See this thread: Quik Hinge Installation) The DS is much easier after removing the instrument cluster. And just because you will be so deeply into it by then, the Quik Hinges are the Bomb!! I decided to install them while I had it all apart and very glad I did.

Good luck sir and Cheers to you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom