1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Warning regarding Nigerian scammers

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by PolterGeist, Aug 12, 2005.

1. PolterGeist

PolterGeist

This may not be news to some of you, but I'll bet some of you don't know this. Everyone knows by now of the Nigerian emails, but not everyone knows all their dirty tricks. I think everyone on this board is smart enough not to fall for it, but just in case.

Nigerian scammers are using a slightly different angle... They scan online classifieds and call on a phone service intended for the deaf-- it's the relay phone service. It is a federally funded service to allow deaf people to place phone calls to people who do not have TTY machines. It's free, and requires no registration of any sort. See www.ip-relay.com to see how it works.

Anyway, the nigerian looks for ads in online classifieds and expresses intrest in whatever you are selling. Usually they don't even care what it is. They then say they will buy it, and that they will mail you a money order.

When you get the money order, it is made out for much more than the amount you are selling your item for. IE., if youre' selling a used laptop for $500, they'll send you a check for $1800. They will tell you to western union $1000 to their shipper, and keep the rest for a "finders fee" since they are working for a client, or a charity home.

You deposit the check, wire the cash, in many instances send the item, then 10 days later your bank has you arrested (it's happened to people before) for fraud if you're really unlucky, or if you're lucky, they just tell you the check has been returned. Thus you are out $1000 and possibly, your item.

A variation of this scam uses the relay service, but calls small businesses. THey request lots of expensive items, shipped to charity organisations in Nigeria (THough some have wisened up and are using US Addresses) and they pay over the phone with stolen credit card numbers. You ship (overnight please) to Nigeria, and by the time you find out the card number is bogus, the stuff you shipped is already on the balck market in Nigeria, and you're left holding the bag.

These people are dispicable. Not only are the scamming hard working people like you, but they are getting the US Gov't to pay for their long distance calls from Nigeria by abusing a service intended for a legitmate purpose by deaf people.

I just spend 2 hours on the phone with one. As some of you may know, I'm a scambaiter, and I am working my best to:

a) Keep him occupied as long as I can so he doesn't have time to scam someone else

b) gather information to turn over to law enforcement in the US and Nigeria

c) Get a trophy and a great story so I can brag to others in the scambaiting community.

There's quite a few of us out there, but not enough.

I just wanted you to know, in case you ever got calls, or if someone you know ever mentioned it.

A good thing to look over is www.419eater.com

Steve

2. Cruisin'Carolina

Cruisin'Carolina

Thanks for the info.

A lady came into the office today, (about 300lbs) talking to the recpt. about her new boyfriend. Turns out she "met" him on the internet. Had a picture and about 40 emails. The guy looked like a Greek god, or it could have been a modeling shot.

He's coming over in 2 weeks, and has sent her a pic of the ring he's bringing her, along with a "surprise". Turns out that he also lives in England, but is traveling in Africa on business, and needed her to exchange $2000 of some african money for US dollars, told her to keep $200 for her trouble.....

So she took whatever it was a couple of days ago and sent him $1800.00

Done deal, to late. We all looked at her in shock, with disbelief, and sorrow all at the same time. She bounced out of there like she was walking on air, despite warnings for the recept, who knew her in high school. She used to be a hottie and then blew up and has been depressed for 10 years.

He has been working her for about 6 months, and emailing her every day.

Stupid people. Sad, lonely people. Scammers. That messed me up for the rest of the day.

3. PolterGeist

PolterGeist

Yep, I hear that.

The thing that makes relay good for scammers is

A) that it lets them make free long distance calls

B) Masks an obvious accent and language difficulties since the voice you will be hearing is usually picture perfect midwestern english. This helps them since they like to use the phrase "I'm from Indiana, and I'm doing missionary work in Africa...."

C) it can be used as a sympathy ploy. If you ask the operator "Operator what is relay" or "What is relay used for?" he or she will say "Relay is a federally funded public service to make telephone communication accessible to people who are deaf, hard of hearing or speech disabled...." So, you start thinking the person on the other line is deaf, and begin feeling sympathetic, and you begin to overlook the language problems many have thinking you're talking to a deaf guy.

One of the funniest I ever heard was "Yes, my name is Williams Benson and I would like to order 60 pairs of Converse basketball shoes for orphaned children, in sizes 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15."

Steve

4. Capt. Jim

Capt. Jim

Kids are biggera and grow faster in Nigeria :grinpimp:

5. archie

archie

If everybody baitscammed, these guys would be more frustrated than making money. Good going Poltergeist! Make 'em work hard for their money.

6. PolterGeist

PolterGeist

It would be good if more people did it, provided they were safe about it.

it can be dangerous: you're dealing with organised criminals, who make tons of money, who have killed people in the past, and do have friends in this country. So you need to know what you're doing, and make sure security is tight.

Steve