New User with a new Pig (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Everyone,

Per the instructions, here's my intro in the tech area for my ride (hope that's right). My name is Cody and I'm in Albuquerque, NM. Well, I shocked myself and the wife when I won a pretty darn clean, 73 FJ55 Sunday AM on ebay! Lucky me, right? Thought I had no chance at my bid, but the Pig gods were apparently on my side. I'm a total noob on these trucks and based on what I've read on this forum so far, probably way over my head! My skills are pretty limited as a wrench, as I don't do much more than the basics. I've done brakes, shocks, plugs, cv axels, and basic bolts on, etc, have a lot of audio and wiring experience though, and even managed to install a supercharger on a Solara back in the early 2000's! I've owned a 60 T-Brid, and 69 C10 Chevy, plus about 7 different new model Toyota Trucks and SUV's over the years, but I'm certainly in foreign land with this beast! That said, I can't weld or fabricate, and don't have a great space to do much dirty work being in a regulated suburban hood, haha.

Hopefully, with this rig, I won't need to do too much of that, and quite frankly don't plan to. Not looking to build a trail rig. Just want it sitting on 33's, maybe a small lift if they rub too much, and the ability to occasionally hit the local ski hills with it in the winter or turn the heads of all the Range Rover Drivers at the school drop off! I probably just offended half of the people on here! Hopefully not. Seems like a great forum full of helpful folks. I've actually used it to figure some lift and tire info out on my 05 Sequoia, which is still the daily. Got my initial sights on rear shoulder belts and a no-headunit bluetooth audio system, maybe pertronix to replace the points.

So, I'd love the hear what the experts think of the new rig. Was $17,900 insane? Recent sales data has me thinking no. Does it look solid? Is everyone laughing at me? I know I certainly am! The rig is out of New Hampshire and belongs to a guy who owns a Toyota Dealership, and this is apparently part of his "personal collection", according to his seller. It's been serviced by the dealer shop for years, which is a new concept for me. Who can afford that unless you own the place? Oh wait... 71k miles, pretty much stock from what I can see, newish clean paint, solid rust wise, super clean all around. Yes, I bought it sight unseen. I won’t see it for I'd guess 10 days. I hear the laughing getting louder.! It's OK. I can take it. Tell me I'm an idiot. My wife already has about 9 times. Here's a few images.

Idiot who got ripped or not, I look forward being a member here and I'm sure I'll be leaning on this place and all of you to keep me from going nuts!

Best to everyone and wish me luck!!!

piggy 10.JPG

piggy4.JPG

piggy6.JPG

piggy 9.JPG

piggy8.JPG

Hello Everyone,

Per the instructions, here's my intro in the tech area for my ride (hope that's right). My name is Cody and I'm in Albuquerque, NM. Well, I shocked myself and the wife when I won a pretty darn clean, 73 FJ55 Sunday AM on ebay! Lucky me, right? Thought I had no chance at my bid, but the Pig gods were apparently on my side. I'm a total noob on these trucks and based on what I've read on this forum so far, probably way over my head! My skills are pretty limited as a wrench, as I don't do much more than the basics. I've done brakes, shocks, plugs, cv axels, and basic bolts on, etc, have a lot of audio and wiring experience though, and even managed to install a supercharger on a Solara back in the early 2000's! I've owned a 60 T-Brid, and 69 C10 Chevy, plus about 7 different new model Toyota Trucks and SUV's over the years, but I'm certainly in foreign land with this beast! That said, I can't weld or fabricate, and don't have a great space to do much dirty work being in a regulated suburban hood, haha.

Hopefully, with this rig, I won't need to do too much of that, and quite frankly don't plan to. Not looking to build a trail rig. Just want it sitting on 33's, maybe a small lift if they rub too much, and the ability to occasionally hit the local ski hills with it in the winter or turn the heads of all the Range Rover Drivers at the school drop off! I probably just offended half of the people on here! Hopefully not. Seems like a great forum full of helpful folks. I've actually used it to figure some lift and tire info out on my 05 Sequoia, which is still the daily. Got my initial sights on rear shoulder belts and a no-headunit bluetooth audio system, maybe pertronix to replace the points.

So, I'd love the hear what the experts think of the new rig. Was $17,900 insane? Recent sales data has me thinking no. Does it look solid? Is everyone laughing at me? I know I certainly am! The rig is out of New Hampshire and belongs to a guy who owns a Toyota Dealership, and this is apparently part of his "personal collection", according to his seller. It's been serviced by the dealer shop for years, which is a new concept for me. Who can afford that unless you own the place? Oh wait... 71k miles, pretty much stock from what I can see, newish clean paint, solid rust wise, super clean all around. Yes, I bought it sight unseen. I won’t see it for I'd guess 10 days. I hear the laughing getting louder.! It's OK. I can take it. Tell me I'm an idiot. My wife already has about 9 times. Here's a few images.

Idiot who got ripped or not, I look forward being a member here and I'm sure I'll be leaning on this place and all of you to keep me from going nuts!

Best to everyone and wish me luck!!!

View attachment 2400310

View attachment 2400312

View attachment 2400313

View attachment 2400315

View attachment 2400318
Congrats! I was watching this one. I would have paid what you did for a clean Iron Pig like this. Good luck man!

That is a fair price for that Pig. Very nice. I had a '76 in the same color scheme.

Congrats! I was watching this one. I would have paid what you did for a clean Iron Pig like this. Good luck man!
Good to hear that. I was watching it and wasn't going to bid on it figureing it was gonna go for more. Was actually more in the hunt for daily driver 60 or 62, but this had me change my mind pretty quick on that!

Welcome to Mud! Looks like a good piggie.

If you haven't found it already, there's a pig pen here also:

Welcome to Mud! Looks like a good piggie.

If you haven't found it already, there's a pig pen here also:
Thanks for that info. I did see that forum, but wasn't quite sure where to post the intro based on the FAQ stuff. Anyway, happy to be here and can't wait to get this thing!

Very nice looking 55. Welcome.

Yes, welcome. :flipoff2:
That is a good looking Pig, maybe too bad it was repainted. Looks like an F engine, not a late F, Somebody seems to have added power steering, which is why you have that funky air cleaner. Looks to have been de-smogged as well. Is that a 4-speed tranny? And a winch on the front? Aftermarket rear bumper.
If you know which end of a screwdriver to hold, you can work on a Pig. It's just 1950s technology slightly warmed over by Toyoda san. It has it's quirks and peculiarities but nothing that will stump you (with us here anyway).
Agree on the Pertronix, but, what dizzy do you have now? Stock would be a vacuum retard. I do not see a vacuum line from carb to dizzy, which would be the correct set-up for a de-smog with the vacuum retard. I would recommend the 1969 and earlier vacuum advance dizzy with the Pertronix (I ran that for many years) BUT for that you would need a ported vacuum source on you carb, which you might not have. But, you can get one with a carb rebuild from one of the carb Gurus here, Like Mark A. (who can also supply a re-bushed vacuum advance dizzy with the Pertronix already installed). And you probably should get a good carb rebuild anyway. You could probably do that yourself, it took me 5 or 6 tries to get my rebuilds right...but that was before 'Mud and you tube.
Many years ago I had my rear springs re-arched at a Blacksmith/spring shop with an added leaf. could fit 33s with no other lift.
I am not a Pig "expert" but I'm getting there. I've owned mine 33 years or so. And modified it a bit over the years.
Some mods you might want to look into; In-dash auxiliary gauges. Oil pressure, water temp, manifold vacuum and volts are what I have. Front disc brakes might be nice. higher output alternator for your new stereo. LED headlights. Maybe LED bulbs everywhere. Do you still have the 4-blade metal radiator fan? Change it out for the 7 blade plastic fan just for safety.
That's all off the top of my head, should get you started.

oldsluice.jpg

pghead2.jpg

Good to hear that. I was watching it and wasn't going to bid on it figureing it was gonna go for more. Was actually more in the hunt for daily driver 60 or 62, but this had me change my mind pretty quick on that!
Welcome! I was looking for the exact thing, fj60, until I saw a blue and white pig for sale on Ebay. My wife said we should buy a pig instead.
The rest is history.
Let me know when it gets to ABQ.
:beer:

In a Pig there is "enough room for 12 cases of beer AND guns AND ammo AND trail spares AND tools", maybe it's time to get one !

Yes, welcome. :flipoff2:
That is a good looking Pig, maybe too bad it was repainted. Looks like an F engine, not a late F, Somebody seems to have added power steering, which is why you have that funky air cleaner. Looks to have been de-smogged as well. Is that a 4-speed tranny? And a winch on the front? Aftermarket rear bumper.
If you know which end of a screwdriver to hold, you can work on a Pig. It's just 1950s technology slightly warmed over by Toyoda san. It has it's quirks and peculiarities but nothing that will stump you (with us here anyway).
Agree on the Pertronix, but, what dizzy do you have now? Stock would be a vacuum retard. I do not see a vacuum line from carb to dizzy, which would be the correct set-up for a de-smog with the vacuum retard. I would recommend the 1969 and earlier vacuum advance dizzy with the Pertronix (I ran that for many years) BUT for that you would need a ported vacuum source on you carb, which you might not have. But, you can get one with a carb rebuild from one of the carb Gurus here, Like Mark A. (who can also supply a re-bushed vacuum advance dizzy with the Pertronix already installed). And you probably should get a good carb rebuild anyway. You could probably do that yourself, it took me 5 or 6 tries to get my rebuilds right...but that was before 'Mud and you tube.
Many years ago I had my rear springs re-arched at a Blacksmith/spring shop with an added leaf. could fit 33s with no other lift.
I am not a Pig "expert" but I'm getting there. I've owned mine 33 years or so. And modified it a bit over the years.
Some mods you might want to look into; In-dash auxiliary gauges. Oil pressure, water temp, manifold vacuum and volts are what I have. Front disc brakes might be nice. higher output alternator for your new stereo. LED headlights. Maybe LED bulbs everywhere. Do you still have the 4-blade metal radiator fan? Change it out for the 7 blade plastic fan just for safety.
That's all off the top of my head, should get you started.

View attachment 2401081

View attachment 2401082
Wow. Thanks for that great jumping off point! Ill keep that all in mind! I've seen images and folks saying they can get 33's on there stock, but with street use in mind, as itll rub with much articulation. I have a sequoia on 33s so I i can test fit before I do anything which is nice. Also saw others say a few inches up needed, add a leaf, shackles ect. will be needed. Ultimately 2-4" up would be nice, but 33s is where I plan to live. Speaking of articulation, your pics are insane! Awesome and thanks again!

Wow. Thanks for that great jumping off point! Ill keep that all in mind! I've seen images and folks saying they can get 33's on there stock, but with street use in mind, as itll rub with much articulation. I have a sequoia on 33s so I i can test fit before I do anything which is nice. Also saw others say a few inches up needed, add a leaf, shackles ect. will be needed. Ultimately 2-4" up would be nice, but 33s is where I plan to live. Speaking of articulation, your pics are insane! Awesome and thanks again!
3 speed, winch yes, not sure what make

Welcome and nice pig you have there sir. More pics please, we all love pics👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom