New user so here is my intro and a brake question :) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
So I have a bunch of cars but wanted something for the easier trails at the local off-road park. A friend that has owned a 98 Land Cruiser for roughly 20 years was looking to get rid of it, he just felt it was nearing its end of life despite what I told him, all because of what may be the AC fan debris thing and having a little over 200k. So I made him an offer and he took it. I broke some rules by not inspecting it the way I usually check out a car purchase, but this is because I've ridden in it for lunch trips and even spent a couple of hours in it at my local off road park. Plus I know how he is about oil changes etc, so I trust it.
It is due for a timing belt so its off having that done, usually I do everything myself but since I just started a new job I needed to just have this item off the check list ASAP so I can just enjoy it.
BTW local park is Hollister Hills, dunno if any of you visit there.

Anyway enough of my boring details, here is my question and I did attempt a search in the couple of weeks I have been lurking here. I see a lot of concern over the brake master giving out and the total brake failure thing, but can't find any threads on just chucking the system and putting a Wilwood or master from another model in its place. I know you would lose the ABS which I would be okay with, more than half of my cars are pre ABS anyway.

Is there some reason I am not taking into account that makes a swap like this more complicated than it is in other vehicles? It seems like there is room on the firewall for a MC and brake booster can.

Thanks

I go to Hollister Hills for shakedown runs. Decent fun but small.

The brake booster is not a conventional one and it has wires and computers etc. Mechanically you could replace it. I'm interested in that possibility myself.

It should be possible. I think this is uncommon because the factory electric booster seems to last about 200k miles and 20 years - which is a pretty good service life! Also, it is not dependent on your engine running at all, which means, you can stall your engine, run out of fuel or have any other issues but you can still use your brakes as long as the battery has juice.
That may not sound like much, but I have seen videos of ppl stalling on hill climb (yes, even with an auto!) and then immediately loosing their brakes - what comes after is usually not pretty!

Replacing 100 series 12 volt electrically motorized booster system brake master, with vacuum assist type. Maybe one answer.

But 200K miles and 22 years old doesn't mean it's about to fail. I've an 00LX with 670Km, and master has no signs it's failing.

I did just run across one that seemed fine. In that it did not signs it was about to fail. Fail in that fluid was puking out, but brakes still worked. Signs I look for are: fluid turning dark fast after a flush, stain reservoir, over filling, corroded brake control wire. It's wire was corroded and motors commutator had dead spots. But wire and motor replaced years ago / ~60K miles. It was fine until for some unknown reason it started blowing dirty fluid out the cap.

This could be a brake "fluid" issue failure.
Could mixing of brake fluids, which should be fine, be a cause of concern. Toyota and Lexus did have a recall of some 2005- 2007 models, due to mixing in "off the shelve" (not Toyota) DOT III.

Last edited:
Besides, you can replace just the electric motor for $260 (parts only) from Eurton Electric in CA. I am a t 240K miles (2000 LC) and it is still good.

Might be a good idea to have a backup motor just in case. Pull over, get the new motor installed, bleed at the master pump and drive on..

Thanks for the links above.
Well it seems fine and I’m not assuming it’s going out at any minute, plus I barely drive since I wfh. But if it did go out then I would look at something other than stock, just seems flawed to me. This is based on me being on car forums of all kinds since the 90s and only here with this model do I see so many posts about a total brake failure. I’ve had brake failures but except for an old VW with a single pot master cylinder I never had a total failure where the pedal was useless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom