New UCAs and KDSS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm going to install some SPC UCAs in the near future. Should I open up the KDSS valves to do this? I read a thread that talked about upward pressure after releasing the ball joint. Will opening the valves avoid this potential safety issue? Also, I didn't see any detailed write up on this task. Is it as straight forward as it seems?

If they aren't rusted shut, loosening them 3 turns is a 5 minute job.

Yes and start spraying those nuts once a week with penetrating lube till day you get ready to turn them.

Yes and start spraying those nuts once a week with penetrating lube till day you get ready to turn them.

Luckily mine are rust free and turn easily. What is the consensus for number of turns? 2, 2.5, 3?

Any other tips for UCA install?

Luckily mine are rust free and turn easily. What is the consensus for number of turns? 2, 2.5, 3?

Three, it’s the magic number.

Last edited:

Toyota says three. I’m pretty sure they specified that with some buffer so that 3.1 won’t violently bleed the system.

Make sure you torque to spec though.. that is a spot you don’t want to over or under tighten. 10 ft-lb, which is at the bottom of many wrenches range. Use an in-lb wrench if available.

Toyota says three. I’m pretty sure they specified that with some buffer so that 3.1 won’t violently bleed the system.

Make sure you torque to spec though.. that is a spot you don’t want to over or under tighten. 10 ft-lb, which is at the bottom of many wrenches range. Use an in-lb wrench if available.
Does anyone else find it ironic that the torque spec is 10 ft-lbs but it takes an arm and leg to open them? :frown:

Does anyone else find it ironic that the torque spec is 10 ft-lbs but it takes an arm and leg to open them? :frown:
They are actually pretty big threads for such a low torque value. I think that plus the tapered seat and seals, not to mention the corrosion issue, means it has a tendency to stick.

That “stick” is why I usually advise people to use 3/8” extensions instead of 1/4”. Less spring so the torque gets transmitted directly.

It’s also occurring to me a 1/4” impact gun might be just the ticket for these.. if you can avoid going too far. I’ve been reading that’s how you avoid breaking glow plugs during removal on Mercedes OM648s. The impacting nature is good for cracking them loose without doing too much damage. It’d take a brave owner to try it on their KDSS valve however. I’m getting off topic.

I think it’s fair to say there’s no reason to stray from 3.

Last edited:

Here’s the word from ARB to their techs for install re KDSS: (I keep thee pages on my phone if ever I have to hand my truck k to a tech just to be sure they get it)
C2382ABD-A694-401A-A8DB-7B41ED3512CD.jpeg

6D3F0C78-C33E-452F-A4FD-1D7C4DAA78E1.jpeg

Is there a recommended initial castor setting on the SPCs?

Can’t make the KDSS 3-turn rule clearer than this 48 second video... lol...

Turn up volume.
:hillbilly:

Last edited:
Toyota says three.

"...then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out."

Edit: HA! @Markuson and I were thinking exactly the same thing! I can't believe it took someone this long to post this up.

"...then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out."

Edit: HA! @Markuson and I were thinking exactly the same thing! I can't believe it took someone this long to post this up.

LOL!
GREAT MINDS and all that!

Sorry to bring this up again. What initial setting is everyone using for caster on the SPCs? +1, +2? It looks like the 100 series guys are setting it at 'D' +1.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom