New turbo with bad seals after 10 miles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I figured out what my smoking problem was. It is blown seals on my new turbo after about 10 miles. It is a kit from Cruserparts.net that uses all Toyota parts. I have oil in my intake and exhaust and dripping from the bottom of the turbo. I checked and my supply line is attached to the small feed. Does the stock 1HDT have a restrictor between the oil pump and the turbo? I am going to call cruiserparts tomorrow and hopefully get it replaced. Anybody have any ideas?

It sounds like the oil pressure and/or volume damaged the seals. Most turbo feeds have a restrictor inline, but I don't have any experience with 1HDT.

Is the shaft sloppy now?

Bummer

Odds are the turbo is the victim here, your engine is pressurising the sump and causing it to spew oil.

Turbo seals don't blow or get damaged. They simply pass oil if the crankcase pressure gets higher than the pressure in the housings.

The banjo bolt securing the oil feed line to the top of the turbo is normally the restrictor. Mine has a tiny hole through it...

Would venting case pressure to atmosphere correct this in the short run? At least then the engine would be usable but with lots of blowby.

Usually the blowby flows are so great they can't escape fast enough through the breather. Pre-turbo should be better as it pulls a bit of vacuum. But check all breather hoses, even a kink can cause pressure to build and turbos to spit oil.

I've installed my own "oil restrictors" into engines that liked to produce 60+ psi and the turbo only likes max of @30 psi IIRC

I installed a brass inline fitting in the -3an oil feed line and threaded the inside of it to fit a small set screw. I took (IIRC) a 1/64 drill bit and drilled a hole out the center of the set screw. I put an inline oil pressure gauge on the reduced side of the oil feed line to verify i had a max of @ 30 psi(IIRC) on the other side. Since set screws are cheap i had about a dozen to try out different drill bit sizes until i found a good one. Much easier than trial/error on carb jets for motorcycles.

What brand is the turbo? AFAIK, Holset and Borg Warner turbos don't need restrictors, but Garret turbos do.

I talked with James at Cruiserparts. He said that he has sold a bunch of these kits and has never seen this happen. He thinks that the turbo is bad, so He is going to supply a new one. I asked about a restrictor. He said he has never used one in his kits. He looked at the FSM and parts lists and can not see one anywhere. I will get it tomorrow and put it on

If you can, go to a hardware store and get a clear hose to match your oil return hose. Put it in temporarily to see what the oil is doing. If it backs up right away into the turbo housing, crack open the oil filler in the valve cover, if it goes away then it's likely not the turbo but an issue with oil venting/pressure inside the motor.

Sorry to hear that, but glad you found the issue, and sounds like you're getting looked after, so it could have been a lot worse.

It is good to know this. Have little experiance with turbos but yes, I was also thinking "to much oil pressure?" I know backpressure in crankcase can pop out the flame restrictor in a volvo and push out the dipstick.

What should the oil pressure be for a standard turbo?

A friend of mine had a similar problem. It came from having a restriction in the oil outlet hose (a kink if I recall correctly). If the oil cannot leave the turbo normally via that route, it will build up pressure in the turbo, causing the seal to release the pressure instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom