New truck: 2nd gen or 3rd gen tacoma (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I am looking to purchase a "new" truck and I am stuck between buying a 2nd gen crew cab 6 speed or a 3rd gen crew cab 6 speed also.

We have a 1st gen tacoma now that my dad ordered brand new and currently has 200k on the clock and has never let us down once. I love the simplicity of it and how the interior has held up over the years.

I like the simplicity of the 2nd gen however I do commute 2 plus hours for work sometimes and the creature comforts of the 3rd gen are very appealing. I do plan on lifting the truck and doing some light wheeling also just drive down friends rough drive ways. I live in new england so it will be a 4x4 for winter driving. I have never kept a vehicle longer than 2 years so this would be a long term vehicle as it will be my first "new" truck.

Truck will see 70% on road and 30% offload

Plans were to do 2 inch lift, steel wheels, BFG A/Ts and a hidden winch

Prices on second gens seem to be pretty close to 3rds. I am leaning 2nd for looks ( less bro truck) but the 3rd from a financial stand point ( newer truck for the same money) and the interior creature comforts.

Looking for input and why you chose the specific generation

I choose to buy a new 3rd gen for the same reasons you listed above. The difference in price for a new one vs a 2-3 year old one were within a few thousand. And since I’m not planning on getting rid of it any time soon I don’t mind the depreciation hit. Also the driver power seat was a must since I have back/spine injuries.

The 4.0 in the 2nd gen does give it more of a “truck” engine feel. The torque curve starts lower in the RPM range. The 3.5 makes most of its torque in the higher range, this seems to really bother some folks.

The new creature comforts are nice, but are mostly unnecessary. Blind spot sensors are needed IMO if you know how to properly adjust your mirrors. The adaptive cruise control works pretty good, backup cam, heated seats, auto lights. Just no auto mode on the wipers.

if I was going to be beating the truck off road I would have got something older, but since it’s my daily driver I wanted something I really didn’t need worry about and that would have parts support for the next 15 -20 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom