New Trollhole carb-wont hold idle-HELP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NCFJ

Supporting Vendor
Threads
II bought this rig, 82 FJ60, off a buddy and he had just installed a Trollhole carb.

It’ll start up and it runs fine above about 1,200 RPM but if you get off the gas pedal and try to let it idle it will stall out every time. I have messed a bit with the adjustment screw on the back of the carb and also the adjustment screw on the passenger side of the carb.

The level in the bowl is right in the center of the sight glass. Complete desmog, only thing on it is vac advance for the dizzy and EGR. It’s been a long time since Ii messed with a carb and this is driving me nuts.

HELP!!!!!

It has new:
Cap & rotor, plugs
Fuel filter
Trollhole carb

I

I have messed a bit with the adjustment screw on the back of the carb and also the adjustment screw on the passenger side of the carb.

Usually the reason it won't idle is because either the idle solenoid is bad, or it got disconnected. Check this first.

Since you don't know what you are doing, messing with any of the adjustment screws is a bad idea. The one on the back of the carb at the base adjusts idle mixture, not idle speed, so now for sure, that is out of spec.

Usually "complete" desmog means the EGR is gone too. A poor desmog, usually results in a poor running truck.

Hard to know what has been done to this one, but I suspect that the carb was replaced to try and fix a poor running desmog hack job, and now it still won't run.

Good luck.

possible major vacuum leak? cracked intake(under carb from exhaust heat) or intake manifold gasket causing to lean @ idle?
just a guess.

just don't touch it again and wait on trollhole to pipe in on the thread.

I touched it again. I have adjusted carbs in the past on cars, bikes mowers, two stroke RC helicopters and planes etc. I held off coming on here for the exact reason of answers like all but the first line in post #2. I did not state I did not know what I was doing, I stated what the coonditions were and that I am frustrated.

Stating that the desmog was a hack job just becasue the EGR is still hooked up is just plain being negative.

Turns out the powere to the idle solenoid was attached to the wrong side of the power connector. Switched it and poof, I had idle. Somehow I just figured my buddy had got it right.

As far as the adjustment screws goes I understand that they are mixture screw and not speed screws. I can also count how many turns I moved it and in what direction. Once I hit idle it was no problem to dial it in.

Throwing out negative comments that are speculation at best when someone is looking for help only makes a bad situation worse. Thanks for the solenoid tip in any case, that was the culprit. I told my wife at breakfast this morning that it was going to turn out being something obvious that I am just overlooking. Turns out it was.

Glad you got it figured out Stan! I'm anxious to see this bad boy when I get down there:)

Not much to see Johnny

Glad you got it fixed. The fact that you know your way around a carb makes you one of a very elite group when considering the population as a whole. Don't get mad that some of the Cruiser elitists assumed that you were not part of that group. Such seems to be the nature of forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom