New Trail-Gear 80 series tube bumpers... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GW Nugget

Do the best you can with what you have...
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
Trail-Gear is coming out with some new tube bumpers. Late April/ May.
No matter if you love or hate Trail Gear, it's always good to have new products coming out for our rigs.
As these 80s are becoming more affordable & can be pick up cheaper than a 60 series, you will see more & more families loading up the kid's & dog either or... it just means we will start see more stuff coming for these trail worthy rigs.
Here are some pics.
20160406_121021.jpg
20160406_121039.jpg
20160406_121217.jpg
20160406_121111.jpg

Looks like a bigger version of their 4runner/mini truck bumpers. I like the look of the front for a tube bumper. Rear doesn't seem to really compliment the truck. My TG sliders proved to be very rubust on my 4runner, so no haterade here.

I like the front better than the rear also.
My bumper is officially up for sale.
The rear looks to be bolted up to the un cut stock cross member.
It looks close to @Apounder 's new bumper.
I dig em....

I would be on the verge of ordering the rear if there was an integrated hitch receiver.... understood to get something incorporated would be far more difficult.... but.... aside from the side protection I don't see a plus to the rear bumper if the receiver hitch is still required. For pulling out you can always throw a D ring onto the receiver and pull backwards off the frame....

Although this is making my point about the back since it looks like their front has a hitch receiver incorporated.... that is the one thing I prefer about the MT bumper - is the incorporation of the shackle brackets into the bumper itself. I know wheeling with a friends 40 - it provides a great place to "plant" the vehicle against a tree when you have a hard pull to get someone else out when they're stuck. I don't know if there's anyone who flat tows an 80 (far more common with a 40) but those shackle brackets also allow for dual purpose when using a tow bar. I think the front really becomes a preference - guessing both are very capable bumpers (and the comparison could be moot).

Hate the rear, but love the front. I for one have always had excellent luck with Trail Gear. There might be certain products that have issues, but I've had great experience with their tube bumper and sliders. My first product of theirs was a set of sliders that I won on a Pirate giveaway. They were the 67" ones that fit an 80. I had them on my old '93 for probably 8 years and beat the snot out of them with no visible damage other than some scratching on the underside.

I was impressed with them enough that I got a set for my Tacoma. Along with their tube front bumper with a similar design to this one for the 80s.

Again, very impressed with both so when I got my current 80 it was a no-brainer to get another set of their sliders. For the price I could hardly build my own for what these cost and they work really well.

Tube bumpers aren't for everyone, I get that. But as far as tube bumpers go, this design has the nicest lines IMO, handles a winch fine, offers outstanding clearance with adequate protection if clearance is your priority.

So I'm actually excited to see them offer these. Not sure if I'll ever replace my current ARB bumper but if I do, I'll definitely consider this one.

If I don't make my own, I'm pretty sure this will be my replacement bumper for the one that got smashed a few weeks ago.

I see the similar taco bumper runs for under $550 ish.

for those of you running the TG sliders, is this what you are running in 67"

https://www.trail-gear.com/TG/Rock_Slider_Kit_67_/i_0_0_/_120002-1-KIT.aspx#.VwV6PfkrJhE

Any idea on the price point of their front bumper? I don't usually like the tubed armor, but I kind of dig the front bumper.
Yes those are the correct sliders. NOTE: Trail Gear doesn't currently sell them specifically for the 80 so the 67" extra cab ones are the ones that are the correct length. One thing that you should know is that the legs provided with the sliders (3 per side) work fine except for the front leg on each side. It isn't long enough because of how the 80 frame tapers. So you'll need to make your own front leg. Driver side is simple, passenger side takes a bit more work since you need to bend around the cats.
Also since these are weld on sliders, I highly recommend scab plates on the frame and large gussets on top of the legs.

Here's a shot of the front leg on my passenger side. This shot is after I changed my exhaust and replaced the cats, but this worked with the stock cats and the tube passed underneath the coupler between the two cats. 0.25" wall tube. wasn't fun to bend. :)

Not bad! It's a shame that rear bumper seems to hang so low, could have been a nice option.

Don't let the TG Haterade cronies see this.

Not bad! It's a shame that rear bumper seems to hang so low, could have been a nice option.
Agreed. Trying to work around the rear frame crossmember is not helping. Personally I think they should have eliminated the rear crossmember in the same way the 4x4Labs rear bumper does and it would have allowed for a much cleaner and tighter bumper that would have also allowed a receiver hitch to be used in the bumper.

I'm not a fan of either. The front looks cheap and leaves the radiator support exposed. The rear looks like someone just tried to shove something out the door to sell with horrible lines.
x2. What's the thickness of the tubing & the O.D.?

Good to see more bolt on goodies for the 80. Like the front design, the rear could use some better lines to enhance the overall look.

x2. What's the thickness of the tubing & the O.D.?
I assume it's the same material as what is used on the Tacoma bumper I had. Here are the spec from their site.

Specifications:
  • Made out of 1020 DOM (1.75" X .120" wall).
  • Mounting holes on the winch plate are drilled for most 5000-9500 model low-profile winches and smaller sized 9.0R Warn competition winches
  • Bumper also features a shackle receiver
  • Unpainted steel finish
  • Will not work with roller type fairlead, requires hawse type fairlead

Double option should of been Highmount Warn for front, and to suit tucked chassis rear.

Once you have had a highmount Warn, you cant go back....

Double option should of been Highmount Warn for front, and to suit tucked chassis rear.

Once you have had a highmount Warn, you cant go back....
I had the 8274 on my 40 and it was a great winch to be sure. The thing liked most was the speed. I knew it would be more effort to fit one in my 80 so I went with the COMEUP I have now. It's not an upright (highmount as you call it) but I've liked it just as much and it has slightly better power and faster line speed. Was also a simple fit in this TG bumper.
But I can't argue the greatness of the Warn upright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom