New TPI for my '73 fj40

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Dan Fredrickson, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Dan Fredrickson

Dan Fredrickson Supporting Vendor

I just got it and have a few questions I couldn't find in the FAQ.

What type of headers fit best, block hugger or shorties?

What is the best way to adapt the cruisers wiring harnes to the TPI harness, or is it better to get an aftermarket acc harness already setup for a TPI conversion?

Thanks for any help. Dan

2. REZARF

REZARF

Dan-

I am assuming you are using a corvette or Camaro TPI? Block huggers would work well, but I think the ram horn style is a sure fit.

I looked into this conversion very seriously when I redid my motor a few years ago. I went with the 2f instead.

Street and Performance has a sweet TPI harness made specifically to what you need only and they eliminate all the unecessary stuff too. It looks like money well spent if you ask me.

Give us some specs and maybe we can help a bit more.

Rezarf <><

3. Dan Fredrickson

Dan Fredrickson Supporting Vendor

it is an '89, HO 305, TPI

I had read of the '89 being prior to the speed sensor and I found one that I could trust about the PO. Hopefully everything I heard was true, I am going to go through the top end anyway.

I have stayed away from computer controlled equipment forever but had to enter the 90's sometime. I am leaning towards a 700r or perhaps even a 4l80e auto and I would like to use a transfer doubler so I have moved the frontend forward ~5" and am moving the rear back~4" so I think I will have the room to have reasonable length driveshafts. However I am always open to new ideas so fire away.

4. 64fj40

64fj40

Im so glad someone asked this question cause i just finished doing my wiring today ( tonight actully ) haha.

I use headers that go over the steering box and down the fender. i like em but make sure u get ceramic haha steel rusts and chrome chips and looks like @&@&@&@&.

but as far as the wiring. when i bought my fj it was in really bad shape so what i did was buy a wiring harness from a fj on ebay cut all the ends and wired it my self using the stock plugs, no need to buy a 5 million dollar wiring harness when you can make one your self.

but assumeing you are smog exempt or dont have smog issuses i think you should seriously consider mega squrit
    http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

i solder mine my self but you can buy pre-made ones.
    they have like 16 wires not 40000 like the stock chevy wiring, you can tune every aspect of the mega squirt from
    how much the engine primes its self, to how much to spray in while cranking, there is so much stuff you can do with it.

and i just merged the wiring from my TPI to my fj's wiring, i still havnt started it as my ignition switch went out but i will buy a new one tommarow. you have have any other tpi questions let me know

thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.