"New" Toyota 2H oil filter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I recently changed the oil in my 86 2H for the first time and the PO had a what appeared to be an aftermarket filter of some kind - all markings were rubbed off. After researching, I found the NAPA Gold filter part and went with that. Immediately after, I started seeing drops of oil on the concrete and there's oil seepage at the filter. I've checked all normal concerns - old gasket, threading, etc. I've removed and replaced with the NAPA and still the same.

After additional reading on this forum, there's a few of you that experienced the same and suggested the gasket on the Toyota is better for the diesel.

I went to Toyota yesterday to find the original Oil filter and they sold me this part: 90915-YZZD3. It's WAY smaller than the original. The guy behind the counter called another guy to help after I pointed that out and he said, "yep, I remember when this changed happened. It was about 8 years ago. Several people were concerned but I've had no complaints of performance. It's the correct one as technology has changed."

They even showed me the diagram and it says it fits a 2H and 3B, which I found to be interesting. I don't want to screw anything up on my LC and wanted to get some opinions. Thoughts?

image.jpeg

That is not the correct filter for the 2H engine.

You need 15601-68010.

The change did not happen 8 years ago. The correct filter was discontinued for the US market by TMS, USA.

That said, I have about 10 of the correct, large oil filters for the 2H available for sale.

Regards.
-onur

Funny, my NAPA filter leaks a little bit around the base of the filter as well... I thought the only option was to get them from Japan.

Might have to snag a few from you soon @beno !

Beno, I gave them that part number and on their computer it actually showed that it converted to the one I posted. I didn't know what to think - not sure why their system would show that conversion on the part breakdown.

Ryco Z161X is the goto filter in Australia for the 2H.. here are the equivalents:

Oil filter cross reference

Also.. if you have a much older 2H its possible that you have a centrifugal oil cleaner on top of the filter housing, the O-Rings in that cleaner do fail which does lead to what can be mistaken for an Oil Filter leak..

Did anyone test a filter with flow back valves? I wonder if that helps with higher cold start oil pressure or is it only to prevent overpressure?

Europe partnumbers for original 2H: M30 x 1,5 15601-68010

I have had one filter fail when new, spend one hour trying to fit, looked the same as the one I used and luckily had one extra in the magic spare part box, thread would bite after 2 turns and had to throw it away (or move to mental institution)

Art. Nr.: J1312009
HERTH+BUSS JAKOPARTS

Art. Nr.: FO-209S
JAPANPARTS

Art. Nr.: W 933/80
MANN-FILTER, with flowback valve, opening at 1 bar

Art. Nr.: 10-0186
KAGER with flowback valve, opening at 1 bar

I'm happy with the original Toyota filters I purchased from Beno. I think my 12HT is worth the investment of a few dollars more. :meh:

^Have to agree. The Toyota filter fits/ seals better than the NAPA or wix variant in my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom