New Toy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here is my latest toy.... 85' 4runner, loaded, unmolested (for the moment ;) )

Anyone have good ideas for slight mods, it is intended to be my DD..... I always wanted a reason to lurk more on this forum :)

0630051005_G.jpg

if it was mine- 4" lift, 33" tire on 15x10 rock crawlers, 4.88 gears with a lock right. perfect for a daily driver. enjoy :grinpimp:

tacomafj-80 said:
if it was mine- 4" lift, 33" tire on 15x10 rock crawlers, 4.88 gears with a lock right. perfect for a daily driver. enjoy :grinpimp:

Little too much for me as a dd.

My 85 started out with 3" lift and 32" tires with 4.56 gears. Love that combo. Great around town and on the freeway. Still easy to get into. Now, alas, it has 4" lift, 33" tires, with the 4.56 gears. Much better off-road, but as a dd, and even as a camping vehicle, it's a struggle. I still run the 32" tires around town and only toss on the 33's when I go out and play.

This was my wife's (rip) dd for about 12 years. 3" lift with 32's was a great compromise to what I have now. I'm actually hoping my new springs sag a bit.

Thanks for the responses, I was thinking 32's.... needed to know the right gears cause I want to keep the 22RE. Runs like a champ...

No "full time locker" on this DD... e-locker is what I am thinking but I need to search a little...

Anyone have suggestions on which springs? I was thinking alcan with a plan for 3" and support for 350-500 lbs. of gear...

here is my latest picture as well.... little pig/ big pig! :grinpimp:

0702051046_G.jpg

sorry the pics are bad... digiphone cam :rolleyes:

Wayneraintree said:
Anyone have suggestions on which springs? I was thinking alcan with a plan for 3" and support for 350-500 lbs. of gear...
QUOTE]

For a DD I would call Downey. I've run their springs on two trucks and liked them. The rear sagged a bit, but it took 10+ years. A good compromise would be Downey front and the custom Alcan rear. Ran that combo for awhile. Some times I just choke at $200/spring from Alcan.

good information... so I take it you wouldn't recommend downey rears?

186.50$ for rears 3" lift from Downey,

153$ for a pair of front 3" lift from Downey....

that is less than 1/2 of a set of alcans both front and rear... tempting....

NO DOWNEY SPRINGS< man gave the last set away, this was about 3 yrs ago
but man they were crap stiff. lol

DD leave it alone, that simple once it starts it almost never ends.
get after that rust, and do what you can to help the frame !

run or ran about four different sets of superlift springs on different toys.

Hey Dozier!

No Mod suggestions just yet - just wanted to say congrats on the new ride!

On my old solid axle pickups I had I used three different lift springs. Downey, which I liked the best. Then NWOR 3 1/2 inch springs, nice but actually lifted my 82 pickup about 4 1/2 inches. And I also had a set of ranchos that rode like ass. But for a realtively stock dd I would replace the rear springs to get rid of the sag, put in some bilsteins, some 15x8 wheels with nice 31's and 4.56 gears. I also was very impressed with downey's header on the 22re. It's amazing where the old solid axle trucks will go on 31's.

Wayne,

Gotta love the Pigs. Here Piggie Piggie Piggie. I have a couple myself. Got a 86 Runner, and 96 Crusier.

Grouseman

you can probably fit 33's with no lift at all. FZJFillmore on this board ran that way for quite a while before he ditched his 4Runner.

If you decide to do springs, I would stay very far away from Downey's if you want to retain some ride quality.

If it were mine I'd get some 3" Alcans. They tend to have slightly more lift than what you tell them and the same goes for the load capacity. So the load capactiy you stated is a bit high IMO. I would go slightly lighter load capacity and it should still carry fine and will ride better. With those springs you should easily fit 33's and could probably fit 35's if you wanted.

Also, I think a hysteer conversion is nearly a must. You can run it with the stock push/pull steering but you'll get some bump/brake steer. That will all go away with something like the hysteer from Marlin. Will make it much nicer to drive on the street as well as the trail.

If you're going to do gears, I would go straight to 4.88's if you are going to run 33's. You'll lose a little top end, but pulling the canyons with the 4 cyl will be nicer that way and the 4.88's are still enough gear for 35's when you decide you want to go bigger. If you go with less gearing, you will be doing it again later when you build the truck a little more.

I had 4.88's in my '85 with 33's and it was nice and worked great when I went to 35's. I have 4.88's in my current '93 with 35's and I'm equally as pleased.

Last edited:
Box_Rocket said:
you can probably fit 33's with no lift at all. FZJFillmore on this board ran that way for quite a while before he ditched his 4Runner.

If you decide to do springs, I would stay very far away from Downey's if you want to retain some ride quality.

If it were mine I'd get some 3" Alcans. They tend to have slightly more lift than what you tell them and the same goes for the load capacity. So the load capactiy you stated is a bit high IMO. I would go slightly lighter load capacity and it should still carry fine and will ride better. With those springs you should easily fit 33's and could probably fit 35's if you wanted.

Also, I think a hysteer conversion is nearly a must. You can run it with the stock push/pull steering but you'll get some bump/brake steer. That will all go away with something like the hysteer from Marlin. Will make it much nicer to drive on the street as well as the trail.

If you're going to do gears, I would go straight to 4.88's if you are going to run 33's. You'll lose a little top end, but pulling the canyons with the 4 cyl will be nicer that way and the 4.88's are still enough gear for 35's when you decide you want to go bigger. If you go with less gearing, you will be doing it again later when you build the truck a little more.

I had 4.88's in my '85 with 33's and it was nice and worked great when I went to 35's. I have 4.88's in my current '93 with 35's and I'm equally as pleased.

That is a nice ride man, do you drive it alot? This 4runner is my work commuter, shuttle for paddling, driving 1100 miles round trip home.. etc. I want ride quality and a little height, sounds like 3" Alcan's with a 250# gear load, 33's and 4.88's would work well. :bounce: :bounce2:

Thanks. Personally I think you're right on with that setup
I want ride quality and a little height, sounds like 3" Alcan's with a 250# gear load, 33's and 4.88's would work well.

The truck in the photo is my current one that actually has 5" All Pro springs. They work well on the trail and the ride is pretty good but nowhere near as nice as the Alcan's I had on my '85. If you ever think you're gonna make the jump to 35's I would consider getting some 4" Alcans. 35's will probably fit with the3" springs, but you might need to trim the fenders a little to keep them from rubbing. The 4" springs will be a bit better. That way you won't find yourself wanting new springs when you get bigger tires.

Ride quality/load control can be greatly affected by the shocks you choose. From what it sounds like you'll be doing with the truck, I think some Bilstien 5100's would be perfect. They are slightly stiffer than something like a Doetsch Tech, or a Rancho 5000 so they will control body roll etc better when you get the truck loaded. But they still ride really nice. Another option is the Rancho 9000 which is adjustable. I've had good luck with these in the past too, but on a minitruck/4Runner, I think the Alcan/Bilstien combination work almost perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom