Builds New Toy 1985 BJ70 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dawson!
Thinking of the Dempster tomorrow.

20190506_203928.jpg

20190506_204356.jpg

If I were you I'd take a side trip on the way back into Keno. It is a funny little old mining town. The hotel bar is an adventure in itself. The road to the sign might not be open yet though. Dempster might have issues with the ferry as well near Tsiigetchic... check out the GNWT website. Looks like you are covering lots of miles, pretty jealous!

Camped out here last night.
66.33N

20190507_223720.jpg

20190507_214101.jpg

So on the way south from the Arctic Circle I noticed that I wasn't fully charging...therefore I shut down all non necessary electrical draw in order to make it back to Dawson.
Currently in Whitehorse and planning to hit Watson Lake after some supper.
Alt is putting out some juice so it stays running, plus I've hooked up my 40watt solar panel as insurance.
Watson Lake may have some old mining cruisers if I'm lucky.
Otherwise soldier on because there is one in stock somewhere.

20190508_202627.jpg

I’ve got one here you can use. Figure it out later if need be. 12volt...

12volt. Thanks!
So. Stopped in a the local Dawson Napa the parts guy jumps all over the search and informs me that there's one sitting in Winnipeg Manitoba.
Great! I decide rather than waiting over the weekend that I'd continue my journey and adapt as needed.
In Watson Lake BC I ask the locals about any Toy diesels and yes there is one, but it's a 2L and the owner wants $100.00 so I take it off and yup different pulley space and splines.
Should have grabbed it but hey there's a new one an a shelf eh!
Anyway Watson Lake was my last key start. Next stop I luckily parked on a hill.
Took a looong time to separate the Edic wiring harness and wow the water and crud in there, no wonder.
Ty wrapped the fuel lever and on the road again saying s*** should have bought that 2L alt and swapped parts.
Now's the time the alt is behaving like an upset lover and quits putting out!
Luckily its light up north till 10PM so put on the miles during the day.
Finally in Fort Nelson BC I realize a generator could allow me to drive at night just because in my mind the plan was to be in Winnipeg Monday morning... oh but the AGM Costco batteries do not want to hold a charge so replace these in Edmonton Alberta. Carry on to Winnipeg! Well as you guessed the part was not the right part, kick myself over and over for not buying the 2L unit.
Lick my wounds and carry on.
Anyway the Honda 1000 has 12v and 110v output, trial and trial brings me to purchase a battery charger which easily allows for night driving.
Last couple days I slowed down the pace by enjoying the Canadian section of Lake Superior, beautiful rugged terrain and excellent speckled trout fishing. Home now and will have alt repaired soon.
But it's whitewater kayak season and I have the 80!
Have say that little Bj70 is a joy to drive, perfect steering, that tractor hum!
I was kind of underwhelmed to drive the 80 until I quit driving like an old man and lit up the supercharger...
Thanks for meets! Thanks for offers of help, Thanks to Mud!

Pics eh! Stop here Katherine Cove.
Sandy beach and Bathtub island.
20190515_114505.jpg
20190515_104014.jpg
IMG_20190511_114747_672.jpg

Too bad we didn’t connect. Oh well. Been fun watching your trip. My wife woulda tried to buy the 70 from ya anyway so at least you dodged that bullet.

Haha!

11,000 plus miles!
Cost me an oil change in Anchorage.
One repaired alternator at $183.00
Still love driving it over the Supercharged 80 because of the pure simplicity.
Cannot believe she doesn't lose or burn oil....amazing!
Fuel gauge still works at MT but narrowed down. Just need a sunny day to finish tracing the yellow/red wire! Nice to be home and spending time fishing with our son.
20190517_185450.jpg

Old abandoned railroad. Looking for more whitewater play spots.
Another well earned oil change and diff service.
Near screwed myself earlier on.
Luckily I backed out of a beaver dammed road crossing, DS was manageable but PS was over 4'
Darned beavers like using the roadbed to squeeze you over into the rhubarb.
Plus I must have inadvertently pulled the ARB compressor pressure switch when disconnecting the Edic last week.Had I continued as planned I'd of surely been cursing like a sailor !

20190519_193236.jpg

20190519_193021_001.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom