New to us 72 FJ40 and a couple of questions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, sorry for not really introducing myself earlier. My wife and I recently picked up a 72 fj40 with a 350 out of Cali recently. This will be my third Landcruiser and I still feel like I don't know s&%t about them! :)

I'll get some pics of the Cherry Bomb up soon. This one is going to be my wife's daily driver. The PO did a pretty good job with her, she has disc brakes and a decent V8 swap. I wish he would have run the exhaust inside the frame but I can change that later.

Question #1 - This thing is a 1/2 inch too tall for the garage......ideas?

Question #2 - When I hit a good size bump she shuts off. She starts right back up and I've got in there and jiggled every wire I can see with nothing.....ideas?

:cheers:
Travis

How tall is the garage opening? What suspension is on the cruiser? Pics?

Let air out out of the tires to get it in the grarage?

Remove a leaf from the leaf spring pack?

Install shorter spring shackles?

If aftermarket lift springs, go back to a stock spring?

Question #2 - When I hit a good size bump she shuts off. She starts right back up and I've got in there and jiggled every wire I can see with nothing.....ideas?

Travis

Definatley an ignition wire or ignition ground. check for a loose fuse on the ignition port. Also check the coil for loose wire.

Points system or electric dizzy?

I believe the garage opening is the standard 7ft. Is has Downey shackles but I'm not sure what leafs.

Here are some pics.
fj30.jpg
ResizedImage951333426946526.jpg
fj32.jpg

Question #1 - This thing is a 1/2 inch too tall for the garage......ideas?

Travis

Take the hard top off? You are in CA.

BTW, I love the headrests with the stock seats. Haven't seen that before.

You can run a smaller tire......
Smaller shackles.....
pull a leaf or two....
Buy a cover for it and park out side. deflate and re-inflate upon going in and coming out.

Heres what I did. I took the roof off and I fit in the garage. I bought a bikini top for the summer.

You could also redo the garage opening to accommodate your fleet!
Nice looking rig by the way...I also agree with your exhaust. the headers are a bit excessive. Run a block hugger style and get them inside or at least not through the upper end of the fender wells..

No steering stabilizer?
Front bumper?

Not crazy about the shackle angle either...
Id go that route first. Maybe a smaller 3 1/2 anti reverse shackle. You just might fit in the garage after that. Plus you'll get a better ride and better angles on those shackles.
JMO

Good stuff guys, I am not a suspension expert yet.... The wife likes the lift but I may have reduce it an inch.

The top is off now, she drove all the way from Cali to Texas without a blip! We got the rear seat changed out and I even got the State Inspection done!!! :clap:

This thing is going to keep me busy....but I love it!

Those shackles look to be 1 1/2" lift shackles, at least, perhaps more. If you put stock shackles back in you'll be able to fit in the garage.

Determine exactly how much longer those shackles are than the stock ones, and swap to different shackles as necessary. IMO that is the simplest method to reduce the height in your case. Stock shackles are 2 3/4" pin to pin.

Look at the bottom of this page for shackle dimensions.

Specter Off-Road Land Cruiser Parts - Page 288 Land Cruiser Shackles - Aftermarket

Fits easily in the garage with the top off. Maybe she just likes being topless!:eek:

Yeah, I wasn't crazy about those shackles as well. Need to wait on the paycheck fairy though. :p

@ Alaska, yeah the steering isn't too bad until it is windy and on a rough patch of road. I need to get a steering stabilizer on it. The PO had the Downey power steering installed and the plate looks like it interfere's with the bumper gussets. I need to get it trimmed up and find some gussets and I was hoping HawkDriver was still on these forums. He built me a sweet bumper for my 76' FJ40 awhile back.

TX- Lone Star Land Cruisers - Austin Chapter

check out the local austin guys.

I just went with SOR stock length anti inversion shackles. Those will get you down into the garage with the top on.

Nice truck! I'd like to say that I am slmost done and that i will see you out soon, but My body isnt even painted yet, so who knows. :meh:

@FJSnoozer - Yeah, I like that idea. I've read through your Odyssey and wish you luck on your continued ventures. It seems I'm always working but if you need help don't be a stranger..

Travis

Fits easily in the garage with the top off. Maybe she just likes being topless!:eek:

Yeah, I wasn't crazy about those shackles as well. Need to wait on the paycheck fairy though. :p

I like the topless effect too. its the only way shell go to bed for me in the garage.
Change the shackles and shell fit this winter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom