New to the platform. Looking at a ‘77 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It has some rust but runs and drives. Anything jump out to you guys? Based on pictures any idea of value?

10108C60-765E-46A6-8CCC-6A69E91AEC32.jpeg

B858C88C-C37B-40EF-8E21-FD493913A113.jpeg

54616461-E675-4BC5-8756-2AEA125C6006.jpeg

0C6FF8CE-97F4-4301-872E-12A9181E560B.jpeg

The bezel police are going to find you if it doesn't get flipped asap.

Jokes aside, it looks like a really good starting point.

Welcome to mud! :flipoff2:

The bezel police are going to find you if it doesn't get flipped asap.

Jokes aside, it looks like a really good starting point.

Welcome to mud! :flipoff2:

what mean bezel police?

The only advice I have is what are your skill sets and then find a truck that matches - if you’re good a body work than some rust is okay - expensive if you have someone else do it. Same goes for mechanical and electrical - can get expensive to have someone do the work.

Tail lights aren’t stock. Appears to have an auxiliary rear tank. I don’t know much about v8 conversions but many others can chime in on that. Looks like a good bones

both front fenders have oxidized to a pink color unlike the rest of the body, any idea why? Also how hard is it to find 4 original steel wheels with caps? The front fender emblems also missing were those metal? Are the oe replacemts I see on ebay correct?

both front fenders have oxidized to a pink color unlike the rest of the body, any idea why? Also how hard is it to find 4 original steel wheels with caps?

You can find both the wheels and caps around pretty easily. You just gotta look.

Looks like it will shine up well with a cut/polish and look amazing. Value depends on what you want it for. Shine it up and drive it, $8k - $10k.

You can still buy wheels/caps new from Toyota.

Looks like it will shine up well with a cut/polish and look amazing. Value depends on what you want it for. Shine it up and drive it, $8k - $10k.

You can still buy wheels/caps new from Toyota.
Do you have part numbers or a link for the wheels/caps?

Looks solid., from these pictures the rust doesn't look too bad at all..

My guess on the fenders is that they have been repainted/replaced, and potentially other parts on the 40 as well. The one picture shows the pinkish not on the fender, but on the kick vent area. also there is some of the same on the rear tub/hard top area. It's hard to tell in these pictures, but honestly some elbow grease and a weekend with some buffing/cutting compound would make it look fantastic.

10108c60-765e-46a6-8ccc-6a69e91aec32-jpeg.2431211

As for the 350, who knows other than you can find parts or swap another V8 relatively easily.

If it runs/drives, I could see it selling from $8k~$15K depending on who wants it or if it's on the interwebs or not. thats a fairly solid FJ40 that could clean up nicely

My gut feeling is $12~$15k especially if online, but I'm still stuck on 15yr ago prices...$4,500 or less for this :rofl:

Here are a couple more pictures. It appears the column may have been swapped. Apparently it also has power steering.

47301E48-925A-4FDF-B230-14B0B4B2F67D.jpeg

0F30C1DF-C679-4283-87DA-402E0FE40938.jpeg

Yes, column looks swapped. Probably installed saginaw power steering box. If done well, not a bad thing. Steering box should be along the driver's side frame rail, with this column, probably right behind the bumper in front of the grill (was originally back, by the shock tower).
It it's up in the front, they would have to put a hole for the column through the frame rail. Check how cleanly that was cut, and if it has a tube welded in to reinforce (maintain original strength with the hole). And make sure the steering box isn't mounted with a stack of washers behind it to make it fit.
Also make sure the turn signal switch works, fully, both turning signal lights on and cancelling properly when the wheel straightens out. And, that there is a portion of the column that'll collapse if you hit something hard, a big safety issue that came along in the '70's, and with the location of these PS boxes with the conversion something to make sure is safe.
If you're worried this isn't original, you oughta maybe keep looking for something with a 2F anyways...

Last edited:
Yes, column looks swapped. Probably installed saginaw power steering box. If done well, not a bad thing. Steering box should be along the driver's side frame rail, with this column, probably right behind the bumper in front of the grill (was originally back, by the shock tower).
It it's up in the front, they would have to put a hole for the column through the frame rail. Check how cleanly that was cut, and if it has a tube welded in to reinforce (maintain original strength with the hole). And make sure the steering box isn't mounted with a stack of washers behind it to make it fit.
Also make sure the turn signal switch works, fully, both turning signal lights on and cancelling properly when the wheel straightens out. And, that there is a portion of the column that'll collapse if you hit something hard, a big safety issue that came along in the '70's, and with the location of these PS boxes with the conversion something to make sure is safe.
If you're worried this isn't original, you oughta maybe keep looking for something with a 2F anyways...

good info! I’m not too worried about originality if the price is right. The seller did say there was an electrical issue with the turn signals popping fuses and that they are currently not working.

im not afraid of redoing electrical stuff but if it is a mechanical issue with cancellation that might be of concern.

Has he shot you a price yet?

I'm not a fan of steering column swaps personally, but they are what they are. If they work and are good/safe then it's OK.

I've had 350 swaps and enjoyed them, although I just seem to usually prefer the Toyota engines. Is it a Toyota or Chevy transmission? Any undercarriage shots?

It all depends on the price.. but while some see solid, I see a fair amount of rust repair. Doglegs, the entire rear sill. Looks like it's creeping into the rear quarters as well. $8k for a fair amount of rust (at least to these Southwest Colorado eyes) with an engine swap seems about right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom