New to the forum (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all, new to the forum and happy to be here. My 99 Land Cruiser 100 look forward to learning awesome things in here.

My first question would be, my engine is a 2UZFE 4.7 V8, has 246,000 miles. If it were to die today, what engine could replace my current one?

Hello all, new to the forum and happy to be here. My 99 Land Cruiser 100 look forward to learning awesome things in here.

My first question would be, my engine is a 2UZFE 4.7 V8, has 246,000 miles. If it were to die today, what engine could replace my current one?
Are you asking because your engine has a problem? Or because you feel like 250k means the engine must be close to death?

The 2UZ should be good for 400k+ unless you incur some strange failure or the engine was thoroughly abused.

Are you asking because your engine has a problem? Or because you feel like 250k means the engine must be close to death?

The 2UZ should be good for 400k+ unless you incur some strange failure or the engine was thoroughly abused.
Nope, zero problems. It seems a bit sluggish but I’m also new to Toyotas. Was just curious about the engines. I’ve seen restoration sites talk about engine swaps. I didn’t think they made my version of the 2UZ anymore.

Nope, zero problems. It seems a bit sluggish but I’m also new to Toyotas. Was just curious about the engines. I’ve seen restoration sites talk about engine swaps. I didn’t think they made my version of the 2UZ anymore.
The restoration sites talk about engine swaps on the old stuff with 1F/2F/3F and 1FZ motors. The 2UZ is one of the most reliable motors made. You won't see many swaps on the 100 because the 2UZ is extremely reliable up to and beyond 400k and has enough power to satisfy most owners.

Your statements have me thinking you're coming from the domestic world where reliability is more of a fluke than the norm, haha.

Planning for your 2UZ to die is about as useful as planning for Elvis to join you for dinner tonight.

Welcome to the world of reliable drivetrains. You're going to love it. :)

Makesure to replace the Heater hose "T" joints.

The restoration sites talk about engine swaps on the old stuff with 1F/2F/3F and 1FZ motors. The 2UZ is one of the most reliable motors made. You won't see many swaps on the 100 because the 2UZ is extremely reliable up to and beyond 400k and has enough power to satisfy most owners.

Your statements have me thinking you're coming from the domestic world where reliability is more of a fluke than the norm, haha.

Planning for your 2UZ to die is about as useful as planning for Elvis to join you for dinner tonight.

Welcome to the world of reliable drivetrains. You're going to love it. :)
My daily driver is an F250. My 16 deployments showed me the reliability of Hiluxs, Land Cruisers, and Land Rovers in every third world country I’ve been in. So while I’ma newbie in owning an older Cruiser, I’m not in operating one. However, I like knowing my options if the worst were to happen.
Would anyone recommend adding a TRD turbo to my engine or an I asking for trouble?

Come join us over in the Veteran's Highway subforum!

Also, yes- replace those heater t's.

I dont think I've seen a turbo build here, although the legendary TRD Supercharger kit comes up infrequently. I actually would think a turbo might be easier, once you get past trying to source the appropriate exhaust setup.

My daily driver is an F250. My 16 deployments showed me the reliability of Hiluxs, Land Cruisers, and Land Rovers in every third world country I’ve been in. So while I’ma newbie in owning an older Cruiser, I’m not in operating one. However, I like knowing my options if the worst were to happen.
Would anyone recommend adding a TRD turbo to my engine or an I asking for trouble?
I'm not aware of any simple turbo option, but I'd just learn to love the stock form. Even a "souped up" 2UZ in a 100 is going to be a slow bus compared to more modern vehicles with some actual power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom