New to the forum - 1993 GXL petrol - Victoria, Australia (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all

I bought my white 1993 petrol Landcruiser in April. It has done a bit over 410,000km.

The body and interior seem in pretty good shape. I’ve never had a 4wd before, & I haven’t been particularly hands on with cars previously but I’m enjoying the learning curve so far. That’s both learning about my own car & how to keep it running well & safely, as well as seeing the different things others have done to their cars

I’ve not anything too major so far. I’ve replaced a leaking top radiator hose, and hopefully this week I’ll be doing a front axle rebuild with a friend who has an 80 himself and has had some experience working on them.

It is missing the compressor for the A/C so I’ll sort that out at some stage. There’s some cosmetic things that would be nice to sort out, but only once I’ve sorted out the mechanical stuff first.

I’m not planning on doing too much ‘mudding’ and once I’ve sorted the axle out I’ll be getting a new set of tyres on there. Currently it has 285/75/16s - Nitto Trail Grappler MTs on the back Cooper STTs on the front. Planning on getting Falken Wildpeak AT3W tyres in the same size.

86379DDF-151F-4E7B-A2CD-70715247A8D9.jpeg

Welcome to Mud….. sounds and looks like a solid rig.

Welcome!
If your truck has the quad headlight assemblies, the absolute first thing you simply must do is get in touch with me and swap in the flush-mount single piece headlights to stand out from the crowd. 🕺
Nothing says style and class like attention to the little things.
When you're ready to trade those gas-guzzling, inefficient, run of the mill headlights for the smooth, aerodynamic, flush-mount units I am here for you, friend.
We'll arrange a simple 'postal-a'-trois' and you'll be the envy of your neighborhood in no time! 👯‍♂️

I too run AT3W, in that size, and apart from questionable off-camber lateral stability, they are good. I trust the short Graham Cahill when he says, "when in doubt, power out!". But only if the Shady 80 or Rocket Rod are standing by.

Looks like there's also a lift involved. And many would guess an OME lift. If it's running well, just go over it's factory bits for age and condition. Replace as necessary. There's a ton of info on mods to chew on here. Take your time and decide which ones fit your intended use and enjoy the journey. 👍 (I mean, there's already one mandatory mod we've highlighted above, yeah?)

Happy Trails!

Welcome to the forum. Good that you have a gas 80, as most of us can help you with that. Since no diesel 80s were imported new to the US, the knowledge base for those is in the Diesel Forum here, although imports are starting to gain in popularity under our 25 year import rule for non-+US spec vehicles.

I assume your motor is the 4.5 gas like we get here?

What 4WD system does your truck have? We get the full-time system with the viscous coupler, which can be pretty sensitive to mismatched tire diameters. It's a good thing that you're planning to get those all on the same diameter soon.

I have non-Toyota penpals in both Australia and New Zealand (model railroads is the topic) and both also drive Land Cruisers.

Thanks
Welcome!
If your truck has the quad headlight assemblies, the absolute first thing you simply must do is get in touch with me and swap in the flush-mount single piece headlights to stand out from the crowd. 🕺
Nothing says style and class like attention to the little things.
When you're ready to trade those gas-guzzling, inefficient, run of the mill headlights for the smooth, aerodynamic, flush-mount units I am here for you, friend.
We'll arrange a simple 'postal-a'-trois' and you'll be the envy of your neighborhood in no time! 👯‍♂️

I too run AT3W, in that size, and apart from questionable off-camber lateral stability, they are good. I trust the short Graham Cahill when he says, "when in doubt, power out!". But only if the Shady 80 or Rocket Rod are standing by.

Looks like there's also a lift involved. And many would guess an OME lift. If it's running well, just go over it's factory bits for age and condition. Replace as necessary. There's a ton of info on mods to chew on here. Take your time and decide which ones fit your intended use and enjoy the journey. 👍 (I mean, there's already one mandatory mod we've highlighted above, yeah?)

Happy Trails!
Thanks mate! Yes there’s a tonne of info here.

I actually started filming some stuff on the car in lockdown here in Oz. You can tell me what exactly what sort of fancy lights I need from this 😁

Welcome to the forum. Good that you have a gas 80, as most of us can help you with that. Since no diesel 80s were imported new to the US, the knowledge base for those is in the Diesel Forum here, although imports are starting to gain in popularity under our 25 year import rule for non-+US spec vehicles.

I assume your motor is the 4.5 gas like we get here?

What 4WD system does your truck have? We get the full-time system with the viscous coupler, which can be pretty sensitive to mismatched tire diameters. It's a good thing that you're planning to get those all on the same diameter soon.

I have non-Toyota penpals in both Australia and New Zealand (model railroads is the topic) and both also drive Land Cruisers.
Hey mate, yep it’s a 4.5 litre petrol (which you call gas I suppose). It seems a lot of the 80 series here in Australia have been converted to LPG because of petrol prices, I’ve not had a car that runs on LPG before so I didn’t want to complicate things too much for my first crack at these cars.

Thanks

I actually started filming some stuff on the car in lockdown here in Oz. You can tell me what exactly what sort of fancy lights I need from this 😁

Start with a baseline.

They all need it especially when they have some miles.

Cheers

Nice looking cruiser, those headlights do look horrendous though and I’m certain @LandLocked93 would gladly take those off your hands but really, I can bite the bullet and take them. My ride is in very bad shape so having those s***ty quads won’t hurt me a bit.
Welcome to the forum and I hope you learn and get hands on as it is a very rewarding feeling to do things yourself and as a bonus you know it’s done right.

Thanks

You have dual batteries. Is that a factory option and what controls the charge duties?

Last edited:
If its got gas i would be getting that removed professionally and throwing it all in the bin, gas is for bbqs not cars

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom