1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New To The Forum! 1983 HJ47 Flat Bed

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by HJ47UteMate, Nov 14, 2017 at 1:14 AM.

1. HJ47UteMate

HJ47UteMate

So, I've been creepin on mud for quite some time, thought it was about time to join & contribute what (little) I can - I'm still quite new to the scene..

Back Story:
    On a trip to Hawaii years ago, I saw my first Landcruiser pickup. I knew I had to have one, and found out where most were hiding. I spent a few years working toward the goal, and this last year picked up and moved to Australia. I began bartending and saving every Aussie dollar I earned to get the perfect Ute. After looking through countless gumtree ads and traveling all over Oz, I found the one. Bought it from a landscaper in Adelaide and drove back to Melbourne, where I was living. After cruising a few more cities up the coast, I shipped it home. Now, it lives with me in Sacramento, Ca where I've been driving it around town up until recently. Its now time for a few upgrades..

The Rig:
    1983 HJ47 Tray Back/Flat Bed/Ute/Pickup
    4.0 Diesel
    5 Speed
    Power Steering
    Front Disc Brakes
    After Market AC

Right now, I've got it up on jack stands, ready to be ripped apart for a lift. I know my options (from creepin this forum) are: SOA, OME 2.5", Small Shackle Lift, or Custom Springs.. I'd like it to be around 4" with 33s.. I'm not a huge wheeler,yet, but will maybe hit trails once in a while..

One of my biggest concerns is what I'm currently running. Are my springs stock? Do these usually have the 2 stage springs in the rear like mine?

These pics are: When I picked it up in Oregon, how I drive it every day, and test fitting the 33s from my Tacoma (they clear with no rubbing at all)

Thanks for the welcomes, I look forward to hangin with yall on iH8MUD
    IMG_0289.JPG IMG_0324.JPG IMG_0479.PNG IMG_0464.JPG
    IMG_0451.JPG

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 1:21 AM
    todt and TractorDoc like this.
  2. HJ47UteMate

HJ47UteMate

3. Drabnov

Drabnov

Nice rig mate. It looks very similar to mine and sounds like you also want to freshen it up with a few bits and pieces. Is that 5 speed standard or did someone upgrade it from the 4 speed?

4. HJ47UteMate

HJ47UteMate

Thanks. Yea, that's exactly it. I believe the 5 speed might have came from a 60 series.

I just realized what rig is yours. You posted it like 45 minutes after me. Crazy. Yea, You have a solid start. Good looking as well

5. Living in the Past

Living in the Past SILVER Star

Toyota's plaque under the hood on the firewall wall will tell if it was a four speed or five speed from the factory. Complete model number will tell you if it was a four speed or five. They also list in the trans/axle line further down. Believe they do that since model would only tell you it had a four speed. The other line told which four speed. My guess it will have a K in the model for four speed. And H41 in the other line. Picture floor where the shift cane is would tell if it was from a 40 series or 60 series. LWB 40 series is rare to come from the factory with a five speed.

6. todt

todt

Media:
    Albums:
    Good looking truck I like it!