New to the FJ60 world, come share my pain (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The past year has kicked my ass. Between moving to another state, the fires, my wife’s horrible health ordeal and other nonsense…I’ve decided to sell the 60. Unfortunately the medical bills are preventing Wits’ End from moving forward. I have a few vehicles and right now I think it’s best to let the 60 go to someone else who would be able to enjoy it more than I will.

I have a bunch of stuff I want to do to it to make it as complete as possible for the next owner. Sure it’ll cost me more to do so but whatever, It’ll just make my asking price climb 😜

I’ll be posting the status and what I’ve been doing to it before it gets handed to the new owner. Whoever that winds up being.

Sorry to hear about all this and hope J is doing better. I have 5 guys currently looking for 60s. Message me details. May not have to do much work for what extras my guys are wanting to do..

J

This was done way back in Feb it figured I should update this thread. New brown carpet installed. Only thing waiting is a good tailgate board for the tailgate carpet.

140D7BCE-99FD-4F4A-9686-3A92752C725D.jpeg

7581EECB-8AFA-4D17-B33D-7E93263ADACF.jpeg

73CB784A-A551-425D-A34B-5113ABE1165C.jpeg

2C970897-F576-4B59-B81C-3DEE5E930C69.jpeg

6567A91F-C8FE-4E06-A010-778422F01340.jpeg

The leather rear seats were unfortunately stolen so had to track down another set of rear seats. A local had a few sets but in various stats of distress. Between them we were able to take them apart and put together a good set and then completed the carpet.

F46D8F1E-23F5-4FF9-A0E2-A3CEAD9ED448.jpeg

2E23F951-7799-449F-AC8C-6D0D00F12C75.jpeg

9560C88D-70C3-4099-94AA-6438CAA01705.jpeg

01F8AD54-B5A8-4533-ADEF-89E4B28CA4E4.jpeg

E45E0EA9-6FEB-44FF-9341-593F41B3D0B2.jpeg

Well, I was just about to start writing the "for sale" listing. But I went for a drive and got some gas and on the way back the truck was getting a little warm. Thats odd because its NEVER EVER gotten above "warm". Got back to the shop and noticed some wetness around the tank. Welp my guilt would destroy me if this thing overheated after handing it over to the new owner. So the decision was made to completely redo the entire cooling system. The rear heater was already removed and the under dash heater core was inspected and looked fine with no leaks. Everything else is getting replace including:
• Water pump
• All heater hoses
• All radiator hoses
• All drive belts
• Thermostat AND housing
• Block drain
• Radiator

Everything will be OEM except obviously the radiator which I will be going CSF 2708.

After removing the shroud it was pretty obvious that the radiator failed. I sent to out to a local radiator shop that does all the diesel trucks in the area and they said its too far gone to rebuild. Its the original radiator. Once all the hoses came off we could see the pitting and what looks like calcium deposits from not enough coolant ratio and using tap water. The last shopped that touched it as K&H back in LA when I had the head replaced and the trans and transfer put in. So looks like they cheaped out on the coolant and hose water. Oh well.

IMG_6298.jpeg

IMG_6302.jpeg

IMG_6300.jpeg

IMG_6301.jpeg

IMG_6306.jpeg

First thing is first. The use of hose water, and lack of a good coolant mixture, has contributed to rust being in the cooling system and its time to remove whatever can be removed. I don't like using all the chemical stuff found in auto parts store. Made some block off plates for the waterpump and thermostat housing openings. Only like to use vinegar (acetic acid) on engine coolant passages. Quick trip to the hardware store and we used the block drain to fill the block. Wanted to fill the vinegar from the bottom up. The top of the heater control pipe was used for burping the system. Used a MightyVac to get the air out from the cavitation in the block.

IMG_6310.jpeg

IMG_6323.jpeg

IMG_6324.jpeg

IMG_6325.jpeg

IMG_6327.jpeg

Approximately 2.5 gallons of vinegar were emptied into the block. We kept using the vacuum pump until the big bubbles were out. As the vinegar does its work it will off gas and this will pour vinegar out of the raised tube. It MUST be open to atmosphere so that it doesn't pressurize. It WILL dump a bunch of expanded gases/vinegar if you arent careful. This is going to sit in the truck for a few days then fully flushed with distilled repeatedly.

Did the same with the heater core. Only difference is the vinegar will only be in there overnight. Brass doesn't rust but rust will accumulate since its a low point in the system and only gets usage a few months out of the year.

IMG_6329.jpeg

IMG_6330.jpeg

IMG_6331.jpeg

IMG_6336.jpeg

Well I figured I would tell a funny story about my adventures picking up this vehicle and maybe someone can laugh at my pain. BTW I am normally in the 80 section but we needed a second vehicle so I picked up this gem:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/vehicles-trailers-sale-wanted/226192-fj-60-nor-cal-$$1300-00-obo.html

Left Thursday morning from LAX to Sacramento to pick up the truck from Zach (Flight: $140; Running total: $140). His 18 year old sister and her BF pick me up. We almost run over a pedestrian. Sister starts the conversation with, "BTW, Zach said you need to buy a new battery because he couldn't get one". So we stop off at Autozone (Battery: $75.00; Running total: $215).

It takes us 2 hours and 15 minutes to get where the truck is first because I didn't think anyplace had worse traffic than LA, I was wrong. Then where we are going is waaaaay out in BFE. I was waiting for the banjo to start playing. I was starting to feel like I was in a horror movie. You know the one where the star crossed lovers pick up a poor sap trying to buy a truck and they take him out in the middle of no-where and precede to torture and ultimately dismember said poor sap.

So we get there, I still have my arms and legs. We are meeting his mom at her work. So I check out the truck, looks the same as the pics. I check out everything. Checked the fluids, added one gallon of water to the radiator. Checked p/s fluid, whoops! No p/s belt. Ooookaay.

I handed his mom the cash, she fills out all the paperwork. All is well the truck starts fine. It feels JUST like my old FJ40. Nite and day between the LX450 and this. But I like it. They hook me up with a bucket of ice and cold water. Cuz the A/C no workie.

I look down, hmmm, fuel tank is empty. I guess I'm going to the gas station. (Gas: $78.00; Running total: $293)

So I start on the road...windows rolled down. Figured I would start taking notes on little things that I know I will need to fix/change as I notice them. Visor, fix. Seat, replace. Headliner, clean. Ashtray, dump out the packed tight stash of cigarette butts. Ugh.

I've taken enough notes for now. Time for some tunes. Hmm, the radio isn't in its cubby. Must be in the glove compartment. Nope. Maybe in the center console. Nope. Time to pull over and check the back. I pull over and check the back. Awesome...I see the 6x9 holes, but no 6x9 speakers. Hmm, I see wiring for bass tube but no bass tube. Hmm, I see wiring for amp, but no amp. Then I look closer at the radio. The wires have been cut. All of them.

I drive back to Zach's mom's work and ask if MAYBE the radio equipment has been removed and gingerly packed for me just in case someone were to steal it all. Nope, turns out from the time it was at his mom's house to the time I picked it up (less than 24 hours), some knuckle dragger decided he wanted the stereo stuff more than I did. (I'm not going to add the cost of the stereo yet because I have no idea what its going to cost me to replace). At this point I am thinking about walking away from the deal. But I decided you know what, Zach will make good on it and we'll just work it out somehow. Besides, his mom gave all the cash to his sister and she took off with her BF. My cash is long gone by now.

Oh well, on the road again.

So I start driving. I am now at mile 111 WITHOUT a radio!!! and I'm falling asleep. Ok time for food. I stop off in Merced (armpit of California) at the Carl's Jr. on V Street. Judging by the copious amounts of tweakers I'm going to guess that "V" stands for "Venereal".

Food in stomach and I'm feeling awake again. Start truck, back up, break for tweaker, put in into first. Hmm, that's strange, the shifter won't go into 1st. Maybe 2nd? Nope. Reverse? Yup. I can drive home in reverse for the next, oh I don't know, 309 FUTHER MUCKING MILES!!!!

I try everything. Finally I turn off the truck and jam the gear into first. I push in the clutch and as I start it, the truck's starter is lurching the truck forward. Clutch is totally toast. I start pushing the truck AFTER I manage to get the thing out of gear, which took a good 20 mins. Which turns out to be pretty nerve racking when you are stuck in the middle of the intersection where the off ramp to the 99 freeway is. Two guys take pity of me and help push me to the Jack in the Box.

From here I call my wife, Zach, Zach's mom and of course...good ole AAA.

Then my cell phone battery dies. Dead. Nothing.

So AT LEAST everyone knows I'm stuck and roughly where I am. By the time AAA gets there with a flatbed its now 8:45PM. I had been waiting for him for over 2.5 hours! During this time I went walking for a few blocks to learn that the wonderful city of Merced has done me the favor of ridding itself of payphones. Awesome.

Drop off truck at the Toyota Stealership. I ask the tow truck driver where the nearest train station is. "Oh its about 3 miles South on 16". Ok, so I ask to see if MAYBE he would be driving that way and can take pity. Nope, no such luck. So I hoof it. AT night. In Merced. The tweaker capitol of California. I make it to the train station. Next train is at midnight. Screw that noise. I walk to Greyhound, the doors are locked. I'm screwed. I look out back and I see people so I go back there. I talk to the bus driver in my lousy attempt at sounding like I know Spanish. Sure he can take me, that'll be $40. (Bus: $40.00; Running total: $333).

I think I should have asked if there was going to be 6 stops with half an hour wait time at each stop. Man I'm dumb. I'll spare you the insights I gained while driving in a Greyhound bus. Needless to say we arrive in Downtown Los Angeles at 4:30. I walk outside and grab a taxi. I get home at 5:05AM. (Taxi: $80.00; Running total: $413). Shower and I cry myself to sleep by 6:00AM. Only to wake up at 7AM because I have to help the MRS. prepare the food for the 4th party we are going to.

So. I am out $1300 for the truck. I am out the truck. I am out $413. I will have to pay at least $300 for a piece of junk radio, amp, speakers to replace the probably $5-600 system he had in there. And I will be out the $800 the stealership will want to do the clutch job.

Needless to say I am pissed, I am angry. But I'm not pissed at Zach, just pissed at the lousy situation I am in right now. Sooo, I guess now I am hoping for suggestions. Somehow I need to get that truck here to LA, with or without a working clutch.
That teq sticker for the arb bumper would have fixed all this silly!

Interesting method. For coolant flushes I've done, I've just removed the thermostat, drained the system, filled with regular water+muratic acid, then ran the engine up close to temp (with the heater core valve closed or bypassed). After that, a drain, second flush with water (engine running), then drain again and add 50/50 coolant.

What did the water running out look like with the vinegar?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom