New to the cruiser world.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, All. My name is brody and a few weeks ago, I purchased my first Land Cruiser. I have a friend who was getting too old to drive a standard so he decided to sell it to me. It is a 1986 Fj60 with 233k on the odo. Its in pretty decent shape over all. The body has some rust spots, but are only surface mainly. The mechanicals are in decent shape, timing is off and the carb needs adjusted, but runs ok considering. I am waiting on the MAF de-smog kit to arrive any time today, and shortly behind it is a MAF weber/HEi kit along with the master knuckle rebuild kit. My intentions for this rig are to get it mechanically sound and then work on the body/interior. So for the next few weeks I will be disassembling and repairing/replacing/reconditioning all the major assemblies to the best of my ability. That being said, I am a newbie to the Land Cruiser world and am excited to dive into this project! My mechanical background is varied, I am a small engine, diesel, turbine engine mechanic by trade, however I can and have worked on about everything. I am also a certified structural steel welder, certified 3G-4G unlimited, and know a lil about hydraulics. Electronics are not my strong suit, however I can and do eventually figure it out, just not very efficiently. Anyway, I hope to gain a wealth of knowledge and insight into the Cruiser world. Thanks for having me! I will upload more pics as I take them.

IMG_2520.JPG

IMG_2521.JPG

IMG_2522.JPG

IMG_2523.JPG

IMG_2524.JPG

Looks like an excellent starting point! You will enjoy working on a 60 for the most part - it's well engineered.

Welcome to themudness!

Welcome!

Hey brody, I am sorry but with your limited background and qualifications you are in for a torrid time. These are high complex vehicles and you need to be on par with lets say an aeronautical mechanic. :)
I think this is going to be a stroll in the park for you. Enjoy the project and most of all may you and your family/friends enjoy the truck!

As mentioned, welcome to the addiction that is Land Cruisers. You seem to be way ahead of the curve in terms of mechanical experience, I have a feeling you're going to have a blast getting to know the new ride. Most everything you'll need to know about it is somewhere on this forum. Don't forget to post progress pics and things you've figured out along the way!

Haha! Thanks for the welcome! I have a feeling that this is going to be an awesome project, as long as I don't lose sight of the goals. I am also working on another project, so hopefully they receive the same attention and time. My other project is a 1995.5 Audi S6 wagon. Way more rare but parts are easier to source. Oh the joys of obscure car ownership! Thanks again! looking forward to being a part of the community!

Thanks for saving her and welcome

Alright, lil update. I have been dis assembling this beast after work for the past 5-6 days now. I haven't ran into too many issues, until I began re assembly. When I put the exhaust/intake dinosaur back on, it was warped...like that was a surprise. However, where I live there aren't too many shops that have the big belt sander. So I took it about 50 miles away to a carquest that has said sander and an operator with a very good reputation, so i guess tomorrow we shall see. I guess worst case scenario I am out $40 and rack up 200 miles on my Audi. It could be worse I guess.

Double up on the manifold gasket.

Yes, welcome from one Ozark American to another. Good luck with the project....a diamond in the not too terrible rough. Lot's of potential here.....

I did try that, it didn't change any thing enough to consider running it like that. I would rather know that its right than to have to do it again...haha

Umpqua, what part of the ozarks are you from?
Fort Smith but I spent a lot of time running around in the Ozarks. Went to school in Fayetteville. Been in Portland for 15 years.

I'm going to suggest that you do not put on a Weber carb or a HEI distributor. The stock units, when put back to good working order, are far superior.

Umpqua, right on! I just moved back here to Eureka Springs from Seattle Wa. Man I missed this place! The PNW is too a rad place, but i couldn't afford to live there. Seattle was/is super expensive to live in or around, which pretty much is the entire western portion of the state. Hit me up if you ever come back this way.

Cruzerman, I understand that is the case, and I fully intend to rebuild the stock units and see which one I like better. In the meantime, Im going to mess around with this new set up for a while and tune it to my liking and see how the numbers/performance stack up. Thank you for the info., its much appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom