New to the cruiser scene.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruisingit

SILVER Star
Threads
Looking for some old school tech info.. Acquired this 40 this week and was looking at the suspension.. I want to be able to get 35's on it.. But not sure what is currently on it.. Not sure what this helper type spring things are doing.. Are they supporting the suspension or adding lift.. I see a shackle reverse kit on it.. What's my best route for getting 35's on it.. Thanks for looking..
cruiser1.jpg
cruiser2.jpg
cruiser3.jpg
cruiser4.jpg

most likely stock springs with the LCAH shackle reversal kit in front and extended shackles in the rear to level it out. it gives aprox 1 1/2" lift with stock height shackle
there are also overload type spring added to the front and rear for some reason.
also looks like extended front shackles for extra lift???

You need new springs .
if you keep the old shackle reversal. , you can get 2.5" springs in front and 4" springs in the rear , or 2.5" springs front and rear with extended shackles in the rear

That set up was popular in the 90's , my 40 is still set up like this, it fit 35" tires, stable on the street and flex good on the trail , but this kind of reversal hanger is also call "rock finder" the approach angle is not very good, (about the same as extended shackles in front) , latter style reversal is better because it is angle to the rear and give a better approach

But I think the best leaf suspension for 35" tires is a low SOA with a shackles reversal using ruffstuff hanger and through the frame shackles , better ride on the street, flex and approach

Those clamp on leafs are from Hellwig. It was a thing, back in the 70s/80s. I think MAF used to offer them, along with coilover springs because, when your only other option back then was the buckboard 3-leaf Ranchos, they made some sense.

What kind of engine and brakes do have to motivate 35s?

BRAKES first......please

65swb45's explanation above is very close to the truth. Back in the 1970's Burbank Spring made a very harsh "3 thick leafs" spring, it was total ignorance. So Downey Off Road Mfg. had Hellwig manufacture the clamp-on add-a-leafs shown in the photos above. We sold them to freshen/restore a tired factory spring, but they also added to a harsh ride. Then Rancho came out with a Landcruiser spring that was a small step in the right direction, so we sold those. Once Downey got to use Toyota's spring manufacturer (NHK at that time), we had them manufacture 4" lift springs with a factory spring rate, and 9 features that made the spring live a longer life with a smoother ride. At that time a Rough Country spring had 7 of those features, the Rancho spring had 2 of those features, and a Burbank spring had 0 of those features. I'm thinking on rare occasions when a set of the Downey 4" springs hit the Mud classifieds most of all y'all have no idea what a great find they are.

Thanks for all the info.. To reply to some of the mentioned questions.. The cruiser is a 1971.. Already has a sbc chevy with a sm465 in it.. I will be doing disc brakes all the way around once I research it more.. Will need power steering also.. Been thinking of doing the ome 2.5" spring lift and leave the lift shackles on it.. Wheels and tires should be here this week.. Then I'll have a better idea of what lift I wana use..

Disc brakes 101:
Toyota 4 piston front: landcruiser 40/60 series, 4Runner or Minitruck.

Rear discs: GM Monte Carlo (mini) Caliper, @Poser brackets, brake proportioning valve in the rear circuit, 2lb residual valve to replace 10 lb valve.

I’m running Wilwood Proportioning valve but to do it over I’d buy a metric one from City Racer.

will the fj80 knuckles fit on a fj40 axle.. for doing disc upfront..

80 knuckles will not fit. They are much larger than the stock 40 knuckles.

Darn.. Was looking at a wrecked fj80. Thought I could use some parts..

axle swap time

Just kidding, don't do that. It's a ton of work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom