New to the 80. First time build. some questions... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been lurking a while.. Just moved from a stock 60 to a 97 80. I have searched and searched.. I realize there is no definitive answers to the question. but here we go. I am currently working overseas and what I would like to do is order all the parts in advance so I can use my limited amount of time home to put things together without waiting on parts to be shipped. This is my first build up and also my dd.

What I have:
97 fzj80 with j springs and 1'' front spacer on 315/75/16

I would like to run 345's on the stock rim with flares and no noticeable trimming..

What do I need to add or change to run these tires effectively? without them being stuffed and rubbing all the time.

Will that size tire have a negative impact on the transmission?

I am new to ALL of this so no big fancy words...
cruiser.jpg
inter.jpg
under.jpg

Anything bigger than stock would have a negative effect on the trans. It was spec'd out to that size. A change to rolling mass is compounded by the mechanical advantage of the gears. IMHO 315's make your trans a rolling time bomb, just waiting to explode. But on the other hand, people run them all the time and have little problems. One thing that is certain, your clutches and soft parts Will wear faster with bigger tires. So the question you have to ask: if it already has over 100k on the clock, how much time does it have left? The bigger you go the less time you have.

Holy paranoia second post guy. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong - but I have yet to hear about a transmission failing, let alone a "ticking time bomb".

I have 345's and run 1" wheel spacers to reduce rubbing. I have the same J springs but have 2" spacers instead of 1" like you said. I didn't have to trim the flares or anything like that - most of my rubbing prior to wheels spacers were on the front control arms at full lock and the rear frame rails at full flex. My mechanic told me the spacers will wear the bearings out faster, but that's all I've heard.

Holy paranoia second post guy.

:lol:

i would be much more worried about the PHH or HG going than the tranny... sure the 95+ have the lesser A343F tranny that can not possibly compare to my mighty "Electronic Controlled A442F with mechanical lockup converter" :flipoff2:

but a rolling time bomb?? people run 37s all the time, never heard of it shredding a transmission in an 80 series.

Beno, you can't tell me that if we took out your clutches they wouldn't be worn more than a stocker's.
I prefaced my opinion as such, and acknowledged that many people run bigger tires with no problem, and if it's your rig, it's your prerogative to use or abuse as you see fit.

if an auto transmission is never overheated or run low on fluid, the clutches will have zero measurable wear over hundreds of thousands of miles.

IMO not something to worry about. Besides, the tires aren't 2x bigger, 37" tires are only 15% bigger than stock. Not enough to worry about. That same transmission is used in the turbo supras and whatnot. Capable of handling ooodles of torque and abuse.

Anything bigger than stock would have a negative effect on the trans. It was spec'd out to that size. A change to rolling mass is compounded by the mechanical advantage of the gears. IMHO 315's make your trans a rolling time bomb, just waiting to explode. But on the other hand, people run them all the time and have little problems. One thing that is certain, your clutches and soft parts Will wear faster with bigger tires. So the question you have to ask: if it already has over 100k on the clock, how much time does it have left? The bigger you go the less time you have.

If this were the case, you would see all sorts of premature wear from towing or hauling passengers in the back too. The 80 series transmissions are built to handle this stuff well.

So, regear to 4.88.

Then drive. looks like a nice 80.

Nice cruiser
With 37's I would re-gear but your tranny might blow up!
I guess this means I need to get rid of my 35's and go back to stock because my tranny is going to die on me:meh:

My buddy Steve just got a 93 for his wife, with J's and 30mm spacers up front. Slapped 345 KM2's on it, very minor trimming to the inner fender/flare, stuff's them all the way....no rubbing. Still wheels well in Low range with stock gears (rock crawling) It's not going to get from Durango to Silverton real fast (more than 8000ft of mountain passes - Coal Bank and Molas Pass) but it's not going to blow up or anything....just slow up steep passes.

Nice Sage 40th...very desirable. Welcome!:beer:

welcome:flipoff2:

very nice looking rig!

would you indulge me and tell me how you pronounce your screen-name? :hmm:

Do the PM's and drive with confidence!

150K miles on 315's with no regear and the A343F purrs along like new.
Beno: You should have at least 26K usable mile left.
176K on 325's with no regear and everything is great! Just had some long needed PM done too including everything (and I mean everything) flushed with a clean bill of health.:cheers:

CruiserDyche:
Nice 80 and welcome.
Like others had said, take care of the PM's including the PHH.

Thanks!

Thanks everyone. As soon as I get home the PHH is first on the list actually. Then I guess I will source a second transmission.. Any ideas on how to mount that inline with the first one?:idea:

80Bajabound:
your rig actually put these evil thoughts in my head...

Flow:
Cruiser(Dike)..

My buddy Steve just got a 93 for his wife, with J's and 30mm spacers up front. Slapped 345 KM2's on it, very minor trimming to the inner fender/flare, stuff's them all the way....no rubbing. Still wheels well in Low range with stock gears (rock crawling) It's not going to get from Durango to Silverton real fast (more than 8000ft of mountain passes - Coal Bank and Molas Pass) but it's not going to blow up or anything....just slow up steep passes.

Nice Sage 40th...very desirable. Welcome!:beer:

I have been there. Did my first round of wheeling in a Cruiser there on my Honeymoon. I lived in Durango for a while. Somedays I miss it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom