New to the 60-Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,
I am very excited to be new to the 60-Series forum. I have lurked on the other forums for years, finally posting for the first time in the 40 series section when I starting working on a 1972 40 series last year. I have been grateful for all the help that has been giving in the past. We currently own a 2004, 1997, 1972, and now this 1988. My wife has been very patient with me thinking that we need a Land Cruiser for each member of the family (5 of us).
I basically bought this without looking at it myself. I was on the phone with the previous owner many times getting information. My brother in law lived close so he went and put eyes on it for me. I asked him to check it out to make sure I was getting correct information from the previous owner. Everything seemed to check out, so we bought it and it is at my brother in laws house. We live about 450 miles away and I will be flying there to drive it home in the next couple of days.
I do have a question for anyone that can answer about driving experience. We owned a 1992 FJ80 with the 3FE several years ago, can I expect this '88 to perform similarly to the '92? I am guessing that it will be, but thought I would ask.

The 1988
1988 FJ62.JPG

The Others
Other LC's.jpg

Same great MPG and acceleration and a bouncier ride Vs the 92.
The great news is, like your 40 series, four wrenches and two screw drivers and you can fix just about everything.
Read up on transmission kickdown cables if it shifts weird, read up on throttle position sensors, vacuum leaks and temperature switches if your idle is rough.
Enjoy the ride.....looks sharp.

Same great MPG and acceleration and a bouncier ride Vs the 92.
The great news is, like your 40 series, four wrenches and two screw drivers and you can fix just about everything.
Read up on transmission kickdown cables if it shifts weird, read up on throttle position sensors, vacuum leaks and temperature switches if your idle is rough.
Enjoy the ride.....looks sharp.
Thanks. Yes, I have been reading up on all of that stuff already. I am excited for the road trip, for sure.

Well, I made it back home to Idaho without much of an issue. The front tires are cupped and it made for a loud ride. My ears were hurting a bit the night I got back. I did try to push things a little too hard coming up a long hill outside of Mountain Home. The 62 had been running so good I figured I could just floor it up the hill. Not a good idea, the "A.T. Oil Temp" light came on just as I got to the top of the hill. I pulled off at the next off ramp and let it cool for while. I controlled myself a little better the rest of the way and the light did not come back on. A transmission cooler will probably be in my future.
I am wondering about the lift on this 62. I am a bit of a newb when it comes to lifts so, sorry for the dumb questions, but up on the rack I can see that the shackles are not stock or at least newer. I don't see any other spacers for a lift, but the shocks look newer also. Could the shackles alone give it a 3" lift? Or do the shackles and the oversized tires (255/85r16) give it the height? When I measure from the center of the hub to the fender well it is a little over 22". Somewhere I read said that stock is around 19".

We got it up on the lift to check the underside and the oil leak. Hopefully just the side cover gasket.
FJ62 lift.jpg

Took it to the hills to get our tree.
FJ62 with tree.jpg

Our kids love pictures. Very photogenic family.
FJ62 Kids.jpg

Stopped at the reservoir for lunch.
FJ62 Lake.jpg

The 62 is a few hundred pounds lighter than the 80, so you might notice that in the mileage and (maybe) in acceleration.

If you have a moving glacier to use a stopwatch.....and a nanogram scale to weigh the gas savings.

;)

I did try to push things a little too hard coming up a long hill outside of Mountain Home. The 62 had been running so good I figured I could just floor it up the hill.

The TC does not lock in 3rd gear, so a long pull might well make it run rather hot. I would change the fluid and install either an '80 series cooler, or an 11"x11" cooler from Hayden. My 11x9 Hayden is adequate, but only so. Get a decently large or RV-rated cooler - don't be frightened by one rated for '26,000 lbs'. Just buy it!

The 62 is a few hundred pounds lighter than the 80, so you might notice that in the mileage and (maybe) in acceleration.

If you have a moving glacier to use a stopwatch.....and a nanogram scale to weigh the gas savings.

;)
My 60 11mpg makes my FJ Cruiser Trail team seem like a Prius :eek:

That 62 has a proper spring lift on it it would seem.

Those appear to be Old Man Emu shackles and arched leaf springs....stock springs would be about flat by now.
You know your stuff. I just spent a little more time under the 62 after reading what you said. I can now see (after brushing off the dirt) the Old Man Emu Nitro Charger Sport shocks . Also, the shackles are greaseable. Is there a way to tell if it is a light/medium/heavy duty kit?

Check the numbers on the springs. CS003 is medium CS004 is heavy...anyway if its other than these two...just do a google search like "OME CSXXX ih8mud"
Will do.
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom