New to the 40 lots of questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, I am looking for someone with a wealth of FJ40 knowledge to help me out with some rudimentary/super easy questions. As a matter of fact I would say that I am embarrassed to ask the questions in a public forum. If a kind soul would please email me letting me know they would like to help a newbie, I will spout forth many question which I would be heckled to the ends of the earth in public.

Thank you in advance.

Darrin
dfblackm@yahoo.com

My questions might be dumber than you think. For example: I have a 1970 FJ40 with the F engine, what transmission and transfer case do I have? I know that is a very easy question for most but my rig is so apart that I don't know where to look.

Darrin

Welcome.

If it has the stock trans and tcase, it will be a three speed tranny, and transfer combo...

Good luck!

-Steve

you have pm....

darrin,

You have a 3spd transmission with colum shift and a j30 transfer case.

Can you take pictures of the parts you have and we can help you point them out. Shoot me any questions/pictures you have. Also. look here

http://www.birfield.com/modules.php?name=TLCFAQ

there is a wealth of basic information about engines/axles/body styles/lenghts widths ect ect...nothing to specific but enough to get you started. Also go read the Ih8mud "technical links" sections (link at top of page)

Just start reading everything you can get your hands (compter) on and ask lots of questions.

Stew

Ok this is where I am getting confused. This vehicle does not have a steering column in it right now, but it has a floor shifter, I really don't think that this is a t-case shifter, the t-case shifter is off. But I looked on the engine block and it is definately an F engine. So in comes my confusion

Welcome Darrin, please feel free to ask questions as they arise, then we all learn. Just don't take what is said personal.

Oh, and we like pics!

The trans shifter is long and goes into the top of the big box (ok 3 spd-small box), whereas the tcase is comprised of a couple linkages and a gate connected to two in and out shafts on the side of the aft box.

Last edited:
Ok I am going to attempt to post pics of what I have. I have many. Anyone give tips on how to post.

I have a 1970 Tub, roof, rear doors (not ambulance style), roll bar, engine block (pulled valve cover and front cover....things look good and well lubricated) with intake and exhaust manifold, lots of body parts (no doors or winshield), aftermarket seats, lift shackles (can't tell if the springs are aftermarket or stock, I have 2 sets), good drive shafts, front and rear axles spin well, shifter shifts but I don't know how well, I can manually move the t-case lever, none of the brakes are hooked up (planning on doing a front disc swap), steering mechanism is not installed, have a good gas tank.

So what do all of you guys think?

I don't have experience with Cruisers, I have alot of shadetree mechanic experience with motorcycles, Honda Preludes and Ford F150s. I am going to need help.

I have started by bolting up all the springs with new bolts, the springs just had bolts stuck through to hold them in. I wanted to try and get the motor running next. I know it is a big task, but hell what else do I have to do this winter.

Darrin

Ok I have posted my photos to ofoto.com. I am going to have to resize the pics to get them on this website and my girlfriend is using the computer which has photoshop installed. So for now if you would like to help or see the photos let me know and I can envite you via email. That is all I can do right now.

Darrin

If you can open your picture on ofoto.com you can simply copy and paste that address into your message to link to it. You can also read up more here on posting images. Then you can also attach below your reply box.

Sounds like a real project. Get new U bolts for the axles too.

Well, you've made it to the right place for info on your buildup. Welcome again.

here you are.. support woody when you can :)
https://forum.ih8mud.com/announcement.php?f=8&a=2
shifterright.jpg
engineright.jpg
engineright2.jpg

Ok so there are some pics, thanks to wesintl for posting. So what does everyone think? I have a lot of extra and double parts. So the engine is pretty much bare, how would you guys go about doing this, as I said before, I have bolted up the leaf springs. I don't know where to move next. Maybe getting the steering hooked back up, maybe get the engine running, I don't know, that is why I am here. Talk to me. You guys are really helping me out thus far.

Darrin

Lotsa options...

What kinda budget you working on?

Since you don't know the condition of the engine, I'd try to get it running. At least to get some readings off of it (compression). Replace all the fluids and clean the spark plugs in it first. Do you have the carb? May need to degum it.

If engine needs rebuilding, you can send it in and get to working on the other mechanicals like axles, steering etc... Go through all the fluids.

Jeez... where to start huh...

That's just me, I'd see where the engine sits, focus on mechanicals, then move onto the body. But as work progresses you'll prolly do a little here and there as you can. Progress is the key.

:beer: :beer:

three speed trans...

vac controlled tcase...

nice project....

good luck!

-Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom