New to the 200 section (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been a long time Toyota owner and a Land Cruiser owner since 2013 when I picked up a 1997 40th edition. I've done a mild build on the 80 series but have kept it relatively stock as I also had a built 3rd gen in the garage. I've had my eye on the 200 series for years and the time was finally right to make a move, so I sold the 4Runner about a month ago and started a serious search for a used black or grey 2016-2017 Land Cruiser. I really like the updates, both interior and exterior, that were made in 2016 and luckily was able to find a single owner black/black 2016 with 15k miles pretty close by that looked to be pristine. Had my buddy at the local Toyota dealership bring it down, everything checked out and I drove it home this past Monday night.

Absolutely love everything about the new rig, never even enjoyed heated seats in one of my cars (my wife's X5 doesn't count!) so I'm like a kid in a candy store right now with all the bells and whistles. It came with the Toyota all-weather mats and the Land Cruiser center console trey that is sold on Amazon, so all I've done so far is remove the running boards - really made a nice change, even more so than I expected. Planning to leave the 200 pretty stock for the foreseeable future as I'm keeping the 80, so the only real plans are tinting the front windows and adding some KO2's when the stock Dunlops wear down a little more. Torn between 275/70/R18s and 285/65/R18s, like the height and price of the 275s but hate to lose any width as the stock tires are tucked under the wheels wells enough already (love the stock wheels and not adding wheel spacers). Plenty of time to figure that one out and a ton of great examples of each on the forum. Had originally planned to add the OEM front coil spacers but honestly it sits pretty level (feel like the factory rake was more pronounced on the earlier 200s?) so not sure that I'll need them.

I've really enjoyed all the great info on the 200 section of 'Mud, don't know that I'll have a lot to add but I'll keep you guys updated as the journey progresses. Here are a few pics of the 200 today after the running boards came off and a pic of the 80 from last summer for good measure!

That 80 is beautiful! Wow. Looks brand new.

That 80 is beautiful! Wow. Looks brand new.

Thanks! Took me a while to find one that clean and original with decent mileage, lot of rough 80's out there these days.

Thanks! Took me a while to find one that clean and original with decent mileage, lot of rough 80's out there these days.

In college, the 4Runner was my dream car...UNTIL...I walked around the lot and stumbled on a brand new 80 series. I hadn't seen the Land Cruiser since the previous generation...

I was this: o_O

And drooled until I finally bought a 1999 100 series years later.

Last edited:
In college, the 4Runner was my dream car...UNTIL...I walked around the lot and stumbled on a brand new 80 series. I hadn't seen the Land Cruiser since the previous generation...

I know the feeling! My 3rd gen 4Runner was a great truck but once I got the Land Cruiser bug a few years ago it just didn't do it for me anymore, really haven't missed it at all. Love all the creature comforts of the 200 but I think I'll always be partial to the exterior lines and look of the 80 series - Toyota had it all figured out 20 years ago! Or maybe 40 years ago, still dreaming of adding a late '70s FJ40 to the collection one day.

I love 275/70/18's and don't have any plans to go to other sizes. I really like the purposeful look of the truck and the side wall is more important to me than 10 mm of width. It turns a lot of heads because normally when people put big tires on their truck they look a little "bro-rig".

20170210_095059.jpg

When we bought my previous 80 series they had a 3rd gen 4Runner going for about $1000 more than the 80, but with way less miles. The LC drove so much better with more power that both my son and I agreed that it would be the 80 series. He now owns it and it is his daily driver... with almost 300K miles. Awesome truck!

I love 275/70/18's and don't have any plans to go to other sizes. I really like the purposeful look of the truck and the side wall is more important to me than 10 mm of width. It turns a lot of heads because normally when people put big tires on their truck they look a little "bro-rig".

Your truck looks great! I agree with your thought process, according to the specs the 275's are almost 3/4" taller than the 285's but only 1/2" narrower (which is really just 1/4" narrower in relation to the outer edge of the wheel wells). A buddy of mine who owns a local tire shop also quoted me on both sizes and the 275's are roughly $200 cheaper for the set, which pushes me further in that direction. Any more pictures of your 200 from a 3/4 view to see the width of the tires and relation to the body?

When we bought my previous 80 series they had a 3rd gen 4Runner going for about $1000 more than the 80, but with way less miles. The LC drove so much better with more power that both my son and I agreed that it would be the 80 series. He now owns it and it is his daily driver... with almost 300K miles. Awesome truck!

That's awesome, can't beat an 80 - mine is about to hit 160K so I guess it's just getting warmed up!

Sure here you go:
20170215_214406.jpg

20170217_112422.jpg

20170210_134903.jpg
20170210_094112.jpg

FYI, the OEM 285 Dunlops have a relatively very narrow tread. I measured the tread contact point and the 275/65-18 Defender LTX I bought are 1/2" WIDER than the OEM 285/60-18 Dunlops. Tread width is pretty subjective and I guess manufacturers get to measure wherever they want to? Anyway, don't worry about losing contact point width (or even width looks for that matter) if you ditch the 285 Dunlops and go with another brand 275.

Sure here you go:

Those are perfect, thank you!! Your 200 looks awesome, love the stance - read thru your build thread last night and you definitely made the right call with the rear coils you selected to pair with the Icons up front.

FYI, the OEM 285 Dunlops have a relatively very narrow tread. I measured the tread contact point and the 275/65-18 Defender LTX I bought are 1/2" WIDER than the OEM 285/60-18 Dunlops. Tread width is pretty subjective and I guess manufacturers get to measure wherever they want to? Anyway, don't worry about losing contact point width (or even width looks for that matter) if you ditch the 285 Dunlops and go with another brand 275.

Thanks for the insight, I guess that makes sense as we commonly see real world tire height varying between manufacturers even though the tire size is the technically same - sure width can have the same variation.

You guys have been very helpful with the tire size debate, know this a subject that gets beat to death so I appreciate the patience and input! Going to get a quote on 275 Michelin AT2's for fun, really enjoying the smooth ride of the Dunlops even if the look isn't as aggressive as I'd like - may split the difference and get larger tires with a more highway-friendly tread design. My sister has a 100 series with the AT2's slightly larger than stock and they've been great for her.

You guys have been very helpful with the tire size debate, know this a subject that gets beat to death so I appreciate the patience and input! Going to get a quote on 275 Michelin AT2's for fun, really enjoying the smooth ride of the Dunlops even if the look isn't as aggressive as I'd like - may split the difference and get larger tires with a more highway-friendly tread design. My sister has a 100 series with the AT2's slightly larger than stock and they've been great for her.

Thank you for your compliments.

The gentleman on the forum also convinced me to get KO2's and not be worried about noise or ride quality. I did a 1200 mile trip in four days for work and it was 90% as relaxing as my stock Lexus GS. I was always refreshed after driving it.

The KO2's have an aggressive tread and E-load rating (in 275/70/18 size) but are the lightest all-terrain I could find in the size. Also there is overwhelming evidence of their competence in daily driving.

I have about 7000 miles on my tires and have had them through the heavy snow just recently when there were only Wranglers and Police Explorers on the road. I've had them through the pothole-laden streets of Manhattan and Philadelphia. They performed flawlessly.

Keep them at 42 psi cold. If you're at 45-47 psi cold they'll whine a little.

All of this is coming from someone who never had a body-on-frame truck or all-terrain tires. I come from luxury and sports cars.

So if you really like the look of KO2's - don't wait just get them. I wish I got mine sooner!

About suspension: whenever it gets unloaded the truck looks lopsided for about 100 miles as everything settles again, once it settles the 2721 springs are perfect.

So if you really like the look of KO2's - don't wait just get them. I wish I got mine sooner!

Thanks for your input, I'll probably end up going with the KO2's - I've had several sets of KO's and have enjoyed them, heard nothing but amazing reviews for the updated KO2's. I'm going to get a few mores miles out of the stock Dunlops then plan to upgrade in the fall (if I can wait that long haha).

Hard to believe I've had the 200 for 4 months now, loving it more everyday! I tinted the front windows a few months ago and put some 275/70r18 KO2's on it Friday, so figured it was time for a few new pics. I went back and forth between 275/70r18's and 285/65r18's for several weeks, my buddy owns a tire place and let me check out both sizes next to the truck before making the final call. Ultimately height won out for me, the 275's are noticeable taller than the 285's and width appears to be similar to the factory 285 Dunlops. I took a picture of the two side by side (unmounted) that may help others make their decision in the future.

We went to the beach this weekend so I've put about 175 miles on the KO2's and so far am very impressed. Minimal road noise, no vibration or steering wheel shimmy, and very smooth on the highway. I can definitely tell they are stiffer than the stock tires, especially hitting bumps in the road around town. Overall there has been a very minor decrease in ride quality, but that is more than overcome by the change in the look of the Cruiser - much more rugged and I gained exactly 1" in height on all 4 corners. No rubbing on the road in forward or reverse even with the wheel at full lock. According to my Garmin GPS the speedometer is off about 2 mph at 55 mph and 3 mph at 75 mph, odometer appears to be about 6-7 miles low every 100 miles.

MofThEH.jpg

3pNxKFr.jpg

vtqsWAw.jpg

6RK6kJf.jpg

qA5KWZk.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great

Looks good. Stick with the KO2s. It's an awesome tire. Best A/T tire I've used.

Thanks guys! I've had two sets of KO's and a set of KM2's, always been a big fan of BFG and very pleased with their performance over the years. Took me a little while to get used to the new sidewall on the KO2's but now I really like the enhanced look of their classic A/T. Doubt I'll ever put anything except an A/T on the 200, may eventually end up with a set of mud terrains on the 80 but I'm getting pretty used to the road manners and quietness of A/T tires (I must be getting old)!

I just got the same black 2016 200 series. I'm really excited to add a few things for a more aggressive look. I have been considering wheels, tires and rock sliders. After considering the EvoCorse and Icon wheels I think I'm locked in on keeping stock wheel with either 275/70r18's or 285/65r18's KO2s. Any reason I wouldn't just keep stock 285/65r18's? Also, thinking about the slee rock sliders or just removing the running boards and getting a more aggressive look without adding sliders?? Lastly, I like the idea of black on black wheels so I've considered Powder coating stock. I may just run with the stock alloy to drive it for a while.

I just got the same black 2016 200 series. I'm really excited to add a few things for a more aggressive look. I have been considering wheels, tires and rock sliders. After considering the EvoCorse and Icon wheels I think I'm locked in on keeping stock wheel with either 275/70r18's or 285/65r18's KO2s. Any reason I wouldn't just keep stock 285/65r18's? Also, thinking about the slee rock sliders or just removing the running boards and getting a more aggressive look without adding sliders?? Lastly, I like the idea of black on black wheels so I've considered Powder coating stock. I may just run with the stock alloy to drive it for a while.

Congrats on the new truck. No harm in keeping the stock wheels. Either tire works well on 18" wheels. If you do get aftermarket wheels, I'd suggest 17" ones to give you some more choices in tire size. While the truck looks good without running boards, sliders are not only great for offroad but give you a sturdy surface for entry and exit.

Thanks! I know you don't want the tire sitting to far outside the wheel well but would anyone recommend spacers for a little wider stance? The trucks above look on point and didn't break the bank on the additions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom