New to Tacos (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thekitchensink

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey guys, I’m looking at purchasing a 97 Tacoma 4x4 ext cab, with 312k miles. Are there any general issues I should be looking for? I plan on using this to supplement my FZJ80 while I’m in school (better on gas).

The one I’m looking at has CEL codes: P0171, P0130, P0133 (according to seller). Looks like that might just be O2 sensors?

Thanks for the help!

3.4 5VZ-FE. Don’t know about the transmission, but it’s an automatic. So probably the A340F.

5VZ-FE is a pretty good engine. Don't really know of any common problems with them.
Check when the timing belts were done.
Check the spark plugs. Should be dual ground strap. If not may cause problems.

I'm not that familiar to the auto trans, so can't say much on that.

Last edited:
Good engine, considered reliable by me at least. Timing belt and waterpump would be a good thing to swap. I have a radiator I took out of mine you can have if you need. Wasn't leaking or anything I just wanted to change it since i got a bigger one. If you do the timing belt the official kit makes it very easy as the belt is marked. Took me too long as I overthought it, then took the belt out of the box and was putting everything back together quickly.

Also if your engine dies, you can get a jdm one for pretty cheap and low miles. So many of them around, you won't have any issues with parts.

The guy sold it to someone else already. Thanks for the input! I'll keep looking.

Do y'all have experience with the 2.7 4cyl?

The guy sold it to someone else already. Thanks for the input! I'll keep looking.

Do y'all have experience with the 2.7 4cyl?

The 2.7l is a great little engine. It can be underpowered (hey it's a 4cyl!) but is reliable and a common swap into the older Toyota pickups.

To be honest though I would hold out for a 5VZFE. I had one in my 98 4Runner and it had plenty of power and it sure could get out of it's own way. They are extremely reliable engines but do make sure that the timing belt has been replaced. It is a non-interference motor so if it breaks the piston will not hit the valves in the head but it will leave you stranded.

Get the 5VZ-FE behind a 5 speed manual with 4x4 (maybe an e-locker in the rear?) and your truck will be unstoppable!

I gotta ask though, did you already pull the trigger on one?

I see a 00 Tacoma rig hiding in your signature!

Get the 5VZ-FE behind a 5 speed manual with 4x4 (maybe an e-locker in the rear?) and your truck will be unstoppable!

What he said. very reliable and the timing belt change is pretty easy if you get the toyota kit. Not to mention that engine is in so many vehicles here as well as in japan, so you can get jdm engine replacements pretty cheap. Over all parts are plenty and cheap.

Thanks, guys! I would have loved to get one with the 5VZ-FE, but they are considerately more expensive than the 3RZ-FE (especially adding in 4x4). I ended up finding a ‘00 SR5 PreRunner Xtracab with the 3RZ-FE on Craigslist for a good price.

I’m keeping my FZJ80 for the 4x4 action. :)

C9B0A3B1-3AC1-479B-B78D-0498093F7380.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom