New to site, just bought 71'/78' FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I will, but I'm working out of town all week, I'll send you a pic on Friday.

OMG I'm sorry I completely forgot about this, I doubt you still need it but if you do let me know. Sorry about that.

IMG_20200409_160154_985.jpg

Looking good man!!! Bit pre mature for tops off in sask!! Lol. I didnt get mine off at all last year just too busy. This year is another story prob break in my roof lift system come end of may.

"Supposed to be silver." I'm aware what colour they were stock and still did it a different colour...... sacrilege! It's not going to be restored to stock.
Hey I'm a purist but I like what you did. The black contrasts better with that beautiful cygnus white paint. Love it! Welcome to mud!

Well I didnt cut anything, it is a pre-production gozzard tub and I noticed that the wheel well openings were much larger than stock so I said, what the hell 4" with 35s looks badass plus we have the LX570 for long trips the 40 series is more for just bombing around. I'm going to have to check my pinion angles though because I have a vibration around 40mph that wasnt there before the lift. But that's the fun of it all isnt it. It would be a different story if it was my DD, but i have my ol trusty 2007 f150 for that. Glad I didnt discover land cruisers until I turned 40, I'd be broke for sure.

20200410_093711.jpg
still a work in progress, it's against my nature but I'm purposely taking things kind of slow. Family time is important too! Now that it wont fit in the garage my anti theft is removing my steering wheel every night lol.

Hey I'm a purist but I like what you did. The black contrasts better with that beautiful cygnus white paint. Love it! Welcome to mud!
Thanks! Ya buying the 40 that i did i didnt have a hope to be a purist, it is a mutt but I love it. Tons of respect for the purists too though.

20200409_134042.jpg

35s are quite a dog to get rolling but I think I may have a 3 speed transfer case because in 4 low she crawls super slow and nice.... not sure how to tell the difference between 4 speed and 3 speed transfer cases, I have looked it up but from the outside I think they look nearly identical.

The top has never been on! That is a project for late summer. I'm just working on getting her dialed in as far as steering/vibrations/shackle angles go before I put the doors etc on. Lots of work so little time, why oh why do I have to be "essential" when there is so much I could be doing on my 40 ;). Just a joke, I feel for everyone that isnt working right now, keep your chin up, this too shall pass.

My 5 year old daughter just gave my 40 series its nickname. "Big Baby" she said it "always wants attention, its like a big baby!" I like it, hence forth she shall be referred to as Big Baby.

So I took the diff cover off and found I have 3.70 gearing. But in 4x4 low it just crawls, I still think it has a 3 speed transfer case.

if that’s the one that was in la ronge i saw it up there a couple years ago and talked to the guy selling it. that fiberglass tub looked stout!! hope you have fun with it. i’m in saskatoon if you’re ever up in this neck of the woods. i like what you’ve done with it so far. looks awesome

if that’s the one that was in la ronge i saw it up there a couple years ago and talked to the guy selling it. that fiberglass tub looked stout!! hope you have fun with it. i’m in saskatoon if you’re ever up in this neck of the woods. i like what you’ve done with it so far. looks awesome
Lol well as it happens I'm staying in Martensville for work the next 2 days, however I have my work truck unfortunately. Yes she is the very same one, the tub indeed is very stout, in a past life I lived on Vancouver Island and loved sailing, seeing how those boats get battered and what they have to put up with I had no issues buying a composite tub, in fact it was a big selling point not dealing with body rust.

rust definitely won’t be a problem. i’m going to go aqualu later this year or early next when i finish getting it mocked up.

did it come with hard top parts? or are you collecting them separately?

rust definitely won’t be a problem. i’m going to go aqualu later this year or early next when i finish getting it mocked up.

did it come with hard top parts? or are you collecting them separately?
Yes it came with all the parts, glass, etc. I just put all new wheel cylinders in the rear drums, added a rear locker and bought a knuckle kit for the front to be done in the winter or fall or spring. Not rushing to get the top on, loving it without doors or top. Not likely going to be a great winter vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom