New to NM, Old to 'Mud (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,

After a long hiatus from 'Mud and my Fj60, I've finally settled in Albuquerque. My truck is an '86, how does emissions testing work?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sandoval county does not require smog testing.

The cut-off for emissions does roll with the calendar year. If I am not mistaken, it is anything 35 years old and newer, so you would have to wait until 2021.

Bernallilo county emissions on older vehicles amounts to a visual inspection for the cat and ability to pass the tail pipe emissions. A cheap aftermarket cat will satisfy the visual and a little E85 will typically work on the tail pipe.
If it won’t pass on E85 then you have big problems that should be taken care of anyway.
Oh, and don’t leave the E85 in the fuel system it is hard on rubber lines.

Other smog equipment is not looked for so it’s not a problem if it is gone.

I had an '87 FJ60 up until ~2009. But my system was completely in-tact and I struggled every year to get it to pass emissions. My experience was that they have to actually use an exhaust gas analyzer (tail pipe sniffer) and it's getting rare for them to be testing vehicles that old. Anything about '96 and newer just plugs their computer into the OBD2 port, reads the computer and if the gas cap passes a vaccuum test, the vehicle passes. Make sure your gas cap is newish and has a good seal. If you can hear pressure escaping the fuel tank when you remove the cap, then it's probably still good.

As long as it is running well, it might pass even without the smog equipment. But if there is not catalytic converter installed, you will fail, since they actually look to see if one is installed. You could probably get the hydrocarbons down with carburetor mixture adjustments but without the air injection pump, there's nothing adding oxygen to the exhaust stream to help the catalytic converter do it's thing and nothing for the carbon monoxide to bond to before it exits the tailpipe. The exhaust gas analyzer is basically looking for unburned hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide.

One good thing though is that if you fail, you can get a written estimate from a repair facility on what it would cost to make it pass then take that estimate with your failed ticket to the headquarters for the Vehicle Pollution Management department. They will test it again for free, and if it fails again, then they will issue you a one-time, one year waiver to get the vehicle fixed. That won't get you to 2021 but it will get you a year closer.

Oh, and welcome to town and to our little corner of MUD.

Last edited:
Welcome to NM! As I just moved out here from Cali in July, I can’t say anything about the smog issues you might or might not face, sorry! But welcome, and I hope to see you out on the trails! :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom