New (to me/wife) LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Proud husband of a new LX470 owner. 2003, 233K miles, single-original-meticulous-lawyer-family-friend-owner, a binder full of maintenance records, endless possibilities. I'm a wrench turner and can't leave "well enough" alone so I've been busy with it already. New plugs, oil/filter, fuel, air and in cabin filters, new wheel bearings and brakes. I have a small clunk when shifting, which from my research indicates worn differential bushings. AHC works but it's failing the test on the fluid level, only getting like 4 notches. The rear is super bouncy over speed bumps whereas the front plants nicely. PO had 3 of 4 shocks replaced, I don't think his shop ever considered the globes. I'm torn between fixing up the AHC and putting in an OME setup.

The rig will be a DD for the family (3 plus a couple big dogs) until 2026 when we celebrate my son's high school graduation with a road trip to Panama. Looking forward to input and collective wisdom!

LX470.jpg

Proud husband of a new LX470 owner. 2003, 233K miles, single-original-meticulous-lawyer-family-friend-owner, a binder full of maintenance records, endless possibilities. I'm a wrench turner and can't leave "well enough" alone so I've been busy with it already. New plugs, oil/filter, fuel, air and in cabin filters, new wheel bearings and brakes. I have a small clunk when shifting, which from my research indicates worn differential bushings. AHC works but it's failing the test on the fluid level, only getting like 4 notches. The rear is super bouncy over speed bumps whereas the front plants nicely. PO had 3 of 4 shocks replaced, I don't think his shop ever considered the globes. I'm torn between fixing up the AHC and putting in an OME setup.

The rig will be a DD for the family (3 plus a couple big dogs) until 2026 when we celebrate my son's high school graduation with a road trip to Panama. Looking forward to input and collective wisdom!

View attachment 3311874
Beautiful

If that rig has no rust just fix the AHC. One of the only reasons to ever dump AHC is if the system is rotted away.

Get Techstream. Get globes. Get fluid. Read up. Drive more. Wrench less.
100% agree! AHC is awesome. It bums me out that so many people replace it with standard suspension "just because" or because they don't understand it. Not saying OP falls into either category, just a mini-rant. Great find!

100% agree! AHC is awesome. It bums me out that so many people replace it with standard suspension "just because" or because they don't understand it. Not saying OP falls into either category, just a mini-rant. Great find!
Don't worry, all my parts just showed up from Impex 😉

Excited to hear it! When you get the chance, can you take a picture of your front and rear AHC shocks? I'm pretty sure that the PO for my car replaced them, but I can't for the life of me find pictures of what they're supposed to look like. I believe they're black with no springs, but would like verification. Glad to see you getting the AHC in tip top shape. It'd my desire to do that too, but I'm sure I'm a couple thousand away from doing that myself.

Congrats! I can’t wait to do my AHC. It’s on my list once I get everything sorted which is hard when s**t keeps breaking!

Half way there...

I followed the various threads on here to release the pressure in the lines, replace all four globes, and bleed the system. Took 2 hours maximum, thankful to have a California truck with no rust. I used one of the fan clutch wrenches for $17 off @m@z0n and it made easy work of releasing the old globes. Speaking of those, they had original 2003 stickers on them.

Truck drives night and day different now, really really nice. Sport actually feels like something compared to comfort. 30mm spacers arrive tomorrow and Ill be following THIS to level and dial in the pressures .

@RockWeld9s Shooting a picture of the "shocks" slipped my mind today, sorry. For what it's worth though, they are black without coils, very nondescript looking.

Here she is sitting on the bumpstops, my son thought it looked better this wsy, I have questions.......

PXL_20230521_194808258.jpg

The headlight covers look perfect. Did you replace, and if so, with what?

Recently finished up changing the stock nav unit out for a Pioneer stereo in the stock location.

Most recent photo after installing a Prospeed rack
PXL_20231009_203324530.jpg

For the record, st maxx coopers are so dope

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom