Tighe's LX570 - general thread (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Last night I attempted to clean up the left headlight which had some haze on the top surface. I used this kit, based on recommendations here.

3M Headlight Restoration Kit, Simple Process to Restore Cloudy & Dull Headlights, Hand Application, 1 Kit (39084)

Amazon product ASIN B006VB8JTQ

The kit is fine, although I assumed it would work with a drill but it’s meant to be used by hand. After a few passes of the lower grit sanding I retrofitted it to be used with a drill, which definitely sped up the process. Anyway, the results looked excellent for about 10 minutes, until I sprayed some headlight sealant from Superwrap on it to protect it from UV. I must’ve sprayed it too thick because it immediately developed spider cracks all over.

Back to the drill and sandpaper tomorrow for another try...

34A89DE6-3A5A-4FCB-A155-C681BA218132.jpeg

ED605F52-176B-42FE-A0D9-B58462F16080.jpeg

E68F5613-401C-4631-A5CD-826D994E33DB.jpeg

7A28447F-B148-4C34-BA14-907303210241.jpeg

Last night I attempted to clean up the left headlight which had some haze on the top surface. I used this kit, based on recommendations here.

3M Headlight Restoration Kit, Simple Process to Restore Cloudy & Dull Headlights, Hand Application, 1 Kit (39084)

The kit is fine, although I assumed it would work with a drill but it’s meant to be used by hand. After a few passes of the lower grit sanding I retrofitted it to be used with a drill, which definitely sped up the process. Anyway, the results looked excellent for about 10 minutes, until I sprayed some headlight sealant from Superwrap on it to protect it from UV. I must’ve sprayed it too thick because it immediately developed spider cracks all over.

Back to the drill and sandpaper tomorrow for another try...
I redid the headlight last night- it took even longer this time around because I had a layer of clear coat to remove, which endlessly gummed up the sandpaper. Probably 5 hours total working on this damn thing over two nights. It’s much better now but there’s still a slight haze that I can see from certain angles. I’m going to try another kit that is designed to be used for a drill.

Totally unrelated, I saw this picture on a FB group and it really piqued my interest in adding fender flares. Any input from someone who’s done this? Any lessons learned on what to expect? Most kits seem to ship from Russia and I have no idea if they’re quality products or not. Thanks!

3294C28F-3378-46A0-8258-89D022F0B8A1.jpeg

Last edited:
I redid the headlight last night- it took even longer this time around because I had a layer of clear coat to remove, which endlessly gummed up the sandpaper. Probably 5 hours total working on this damn thing over two nights. It’s much better now but there’s still a slight haze that I can see from certain angles. I’m going to try another kit that is designed to be used for a drill.

Totally unrelated, I saw this picture on a FB group and it really piqued my interest in adding fender flares. Anybody I put from someone who’s done this? Any lessons learned on what to expect? Most kits seem to ship from Russia and I have no idea if they’re quality products or not.

View attachment 2664774

Thats a bummer about the glazing. I recently used the rainx kit and although it doesn’t use a drill, it only took a few minutes and worked a charm. I also hear that the sylvania kit is great.

Didn’t the 3m kit come with a sealant?

Thats a bummer about the glazing. I recently used the rainx kit and although it doesn’t use a drill, it only took a few minutes and worked a charm. I also hear that the sylvania kit is great.

Didn’t the 3m kit come with a sealant?
The 3M kit did not come with sealant. I’m sure it was just user error on my part, but oh well, lesson learned. I expect an increase in gas mileage with how much material has been removed! 😂

I moved on today from the headlights- I couldn’t bear to spend another evening polishing with the drill. Will revisit another time.

I’ve been lurking in the dechrome thread for a while and finally delved into the process this eve. I had some leftover Superwrap from painting my wheels, so I used it to paint the taillight surrounds and the chrome strip on the upper tailgate. I’ll need more paint to continue with the rest of the effort, but so far so good.

6D64F422-B9FB-4BC7-8620-CD226B140149.jpeg

4926A243-9C18-4C84-A719-4AFB90B0A173.jpeg

unnamed.jpeg

Last edited:
The dechrome process continues...

We'll see how well the paint holds up on the door handles. I'd prefer vinyl but that would mean learning how to do something new...

Door molding removed as well but damn if that glue isn't a pain to remove. Adhesive removal wheel's currently in the mail.

IMG-5360.jpg

IMG-5358.jpg

IMG-5363.jpg

IMG-5364.jpg

TPMS question for the gurus.

Last night I put on the stock wheels which have the TPMS sensors in them. The sensors were working as far as I remember last year when they were last installed. The Check Tire Pressure System warning dialogue is still present, even after about driving for 30 miles or so. I have not checked tire pressures manually but they appear OK visually.

There is a TPMS reset button by the gas cap lever under the steering wheel but resetting it does not appear to do anything at all. No indication is given in the info screen when I reset the TPMS button using these reset instructions.

Any other suggestions on how I can go about troubleshooting? Disconnect the battery for a few minutes and let it reset? Any way to get a little more info about the warning itself? I don't have Techstream but I do have an OBD II reader.

Thanks!

unnamed.jpg

TPMS question for the gurus.

Last night I put on the stock wheels which have the TPMS sensors in them. The sensors were working as far as I remember last year when they were last installed. The Check Tire Pressure System warning dialogue is still present, even after about driving for 30 miles or so. I have not checked tire pressures manually but they appear OK visually.

There is a TPMS reset button by the gas cap lever under the steering wheel but resetting it does not appear to do anything at all. No indication is given in the info screen when I reset the TPMS button using these reset instructions.

Any other suggestions on how I can go about troubleshooting? Disconnect the battery for a few minutes and let it reset? Any way to get a little more info about the warning itself? I don't have Techstream but I do have an OBD II reader.

Thanks!

View attachment 2677851
really strange, I had the exact same thing happen to me today, I am going to try the tpms reset first.

Interesting. I had the exact same thing happen last week, out of the blue. System was functioning properly the week before because I checked tire pressure. My truck is a 2010LC, all of the TPMS sensors are original. I’m curious if one (or more) sensors failing would result in this message. Would be an odd design decision if one (or two) bad sensors would render the entire system non-functional.

Let me know if you have any luck with the TPMS reset. I still have not.
I held down the tpms button, but the symbol on the dash didn't even flash slowly like it said it would. Really bizarre. I will just take it back to the place that changed my tires. Did it at least flash slowly for you?

I moved on today from the headlights- I couldn’t bear to spend another evening polishing with the drill. Will revisit another time.

I’ve been lurking in the dechrome thread for a while and finally delved into the process this eve. I had some leftover Superwrap from painting my wheels, so I used it to paint the taillight surrounds and the chrome strip on the upper tailgate. I’ll need more paint to continue with the rest of the effort, but so far so good.

View attachment 2665710

View attachment 2665713

View attachment 2666143
What color(s) did you use? That charcoal looks sharp. TIA.

I held down the tpms button, but the symbol on the dash didn't even flash slowly like it said it would. Really bizarre. I will just take it back to the place that changed my tires. Did it at least flash slowly for you?
No - I tried numerous times to use the TPMS reset button under the dash but never got it to react in any way at all.

What triggered yours starting? I am taking mine back to the tire place on Friday...
The TPMS error came on when I mounted my off road wheels/tires. They don't have sensors, so it makes sense the error would be triggered. But when I put my on road wheels/tires back on that DO have the sensors, I expected the error to go away...but it hasn't.

Last edited:
The TPMS error came on when I mounted my off road wheels/tires. They don't have sensors, so it makes sense the error would be triggered. But when I put my on road wheels/tires back on that DO have the sensors, I expected the error to go away...but it hasn't.
Was the spare changed as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom