New to me LX570: Factory roof rack leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just picked up a ‘14 LX and it leaking from the front factory roof rack foot.

It’s not the sunroof. I poured water in the roof channel to confirm. I popped off the plastic cover to find this. It’s missing the rear bolt and filled with a hard RTV. I tried to use a utility knife to cut it and no luck. I did take the front bolt out to see if I could pop the foot off the roof, again… no luck.

I took the grab handles off to look up into the head liner and based on where it was wet it’s definitely the rear bolt hole that’s leaking. After I removed the front bolt I filled with hole with silicone as well as put silicone on the threads. It’s still obviously leaking.

Anyone have any insights on what I can try?

Also, the front passenger seat heater/vent is constantly on, guessing from water damage.

Needless to say I’m pretty disappointed in myself for not finding this issue when I went through the vehicle twice before I purchased it.

6C068677-FB8D-40A6-AD06-7BB78EB2F88D.jpeg

6E5A5C50-78A1-42C0-8107-7D36E2EC8B6A.jpeg

5125E985-896F-4314-B455-8E7455705786.jpeg

Not sure I got it: are you saying you removed one of the bolts and put silicone in its place?

Not sure I got it: are you saying you removed one of the bolts and put silicone in its place?
doru, I took the cover off to expose the area of the two bolts, unfortunately someone else took the rear bolt out and filled with an RTV. Which is hard as a rock.

I, unthreaded the front bolt and used silicone in hopes that it was the front bolt that was leaking.

So this black RTV is hard as a rock and the whole foot of the rack it stuck to the roof.

Thanks for clarification.

Make sure that is from that hole and not from one of the unused brackets (used for LC rack).

Solution depends on how good of a fix do you want to make. I like proper fixes and that means taking that rail off the roof and reinstalling with proper parts. Here is how to do it...
1. remove the rear covers and the crossbars.
2. remove the front cover on this rail
3. remove the channel covers (plastics between the mounting points) on this side
4. use a brush and compressed air to clean the junk
5. If you took the front bolt out, put it back, no need to tighten it.
6. use a drill with a stop to drill out the RTV plug in the front foot. Set the stopper on the drill so that the drill does not go down too far into the roof nut plate. You only want to drill to the roof metal sheet level. Alternatively use a Dremel to get the RTV out of the hole. Try to cut/remove as much RTV as you can around that foot.
7. remove the bolts from the rear foot and replace them with studs ONE AT A TIME! to prevent the nut plate to drop inside the roof and not be able to get it back in position
8. carefully remove the bolt from the front foot and replace with a stud
9. separate the rear foot from the roof
10..carefully try to pray the front foot from the roof. Careful so you do not crack the foot or bend the roof. The feet are not available to buy separate from the rack (but there are people here that replaced their racks with aftermarket or LC racks so they might sell to you). Use a heat gun that may help to soften the RTV. Use a non-scratch prying tool between the foot and the bottom of the channel. Try titling the foot sideways.
11. If it fails, get closer by cutting off the rubber around the foot (you can buy a new one, is not expensive). Try not to damage the paint while cutting it.
As you can see in this pic the rubber is not pressed between the foot and the roof so you should be able to cut it and pull it out (LC foot in picture, but LX is similar).
1673089778845.png

12. Try using a string inside the channel to cut the RTV between the foot and the roof. There is not a lot of space to maneuver.
13. Try using a gasket remover chemical but first mask the area around the foot well. Test on a spot first that the chemical actually dissolves the RTV and not damages the paint too much. You may have to try different chemicals to find one that works.
14. If that fails, remove the bolts that hold the rail to the front foot - there are 2 under the rail (you can see them in the picture). You will need a special tool to get in there. They are Philips.
15. Use a blade tool or similar to go between the foot and the roof inside the channel on front and back of the foot. You may damage the paint but there aren't many options left.
16. Once successful, clean the channel well and wipe it with some cleaner.

If the metal sheet or paint was damaged spend time and fix it properly. It does not have to be nice looking but it has to be flat and protected against rust.
Buy new gaskets for the foot to the roof (6343760020 a pack of 2).
If needed buy new rubber (Cushion, Roof Rack Leg, Front, for RH it is 63488-60100; I have no PN for left side).
Get new long bolts with included proper washers (6323060010 ).
Put everything back.
Remove the inside trims to dry out.

Good luck!

Thanks for clarification.

Make sure that is from that hole and not from one of the unused brackets (used for LC rack).

Solution depends on how good of a fix do you want to make. I like proper fixes and that means taking that rail off the roof and reinstalling with proper parts. Here is how to do it...
1. remove the rear covers and the crossbars.
2. remove the front cover on this rail
3. remove the channel covers (plastics between the mounting points) on this side
4. use a brush and compressed air to clean the junk
5. If you took the front bolt out, put it back, no need to tighten it.
6. use a drill with a stop to drill out the RTV plug in the front foot. Set the stopper on the drill so that the drill does not go down too far into the roof nut plate. You only want to drill to the roof metal sheet level. Alternatively use a Dremel to get the RTV out of the hole. Try to cut/remove as much RTV as you can around that foot.
7. remove the bolts from the rear foot and replace them with studs ONE AT A TIME! to prevent the nut plate to drop inside the roof and not be able to get it back in position
8. carefully remove the bolt from the front foot and replace with a stud
9. separate the rear foot from the roof
10..carefully try to pray the front foot from the roof. Careful so you do not crack the foot or bend the roof. The feet are not available to buy separate from the rack (but there are people here that replaced their racks with aftermarket or LC racks so they might sell to you). Use a heat gun that may help to soften the RTV. Use a non-scratch prying tool between the foot and the bottom of the channel. Try titling the foot sideways.
11. If it fails, get closer by cutting off the rubber around the foot (you can buy a new one, is not expensive). Try not to damage the paint while cutting it.
As you can see in this pic the rubber is not pressed between the foot and the roof so you should be able to cut it and pull it out (LC foot in picture, but LX is similar).
View attachment 3212580
12. Try using a string inside the channel to cut the RTV between the foot and the roof. There is not a lot of space to maneuver.
13. Try using a gasket remover chemical but first mask the area around the foot well. Test on a spot first that the chemical actually dissolves the RTV and not damages the paint too much. You may have to try different chemicals to find one that works.
14. If that fails, remove the bolts that hold the rail to the front foot - there are 2 under the rail (you can see them in the picture). You will need a special tool to get in there. They are Philips.
15. Use a blade tool or similar to go between the foot and the roof inside the channel on front and back of the foot. You may damage the paint but there aren't many options left.
16. Once successful, clean the channel well and wipe it with some cleaner.

If the metal sheet or paint was damaged spend time and fix it properly. It does not have to be nice looking but it has to be flat and protected against rust.
Buy new gaskets for the foot to the roof (6343760020 a pack of 2).
If needed buy new rubber (Cushion, Roof Rack Leg, Front, for RH it is 63488-60100; I have no PN for left side).
Get new long bolts with included proper washers (6323060010 ).
Put everything back.
Remove the inside trims to dry out.

Good luck!
Thanks for all the info and the part numbers.

I called the dealership and spoke about this with my salesman. He set up an appointment to have it looked at. And, he assured me that it will be taken care of and he was surprised they missed it. ( I am not surprised).

It’s my wife’s new to her car and she will be dropping it off, and I will be picking it up to make sure it was done correctly.

I did buy a 4 year 48k mile warranty through Allstate. It’s my first “used car” warranty. Hope they play nicely. The only vehicle I’m wrenching these days is my SC LX450.

Again thanks for the info. 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom