New to me LC - 1st step(s) recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I finally found an LC that meet my criteria, 2013 Black/Tan no rust mall cruiser with ~140k on the dash. I'm starting to work out my build list & budget for long term goals, but I think 1st things 1st is making sure I cover the bases under the hood before dumping lots of money into accessories.

I need to get the oil changed, replace the PCV Valve, and do the manufacturers 130k mile service... I'm not super mechanically inclined but started getting into changing the oil & filters on the old diesel without any issues and want to start doing most of the installs on my LC myself. The 130k mile service from the local dealership thinks it will cost somewhere north of $900, is this something I should just pay the dealership for and not have to worry about learning curves or will replacing all the oil and fluids myself be a relatively simple thing to do?

Also, any recommendations for extra service I should go ahead and do that's not listed on the 130k mile service?

Well I finally found an LC that meet my criteria, 2013 Black/Tan no rust mall cruiser with ~140k on the dash. I'm starting to work out my build list & budget for long term goals, but I think 1st things 1st is making sure I cover the bases under the hood before dumping lots of money into accessories.

I need to get the oil changed, replace the PCV Valve, and do the manufacturers 130k mile service... I'm not super mechanically inclined but started getting into changing the oil & filters on the old diesel without any issues and want to start doing most of the installs on my LC myself. The 130k mile service from the local dealership thinks it will cost somewhere north of $900, is this something I should just pay the dealership for and not have to worry about learning curves or will replacing all the oil and fluids myself be a relatively simple thing to do?

Also, any recommendations for extra service I should go ahead and do that's not listed on the 130k mile service?
Did the previous owner leave maintenance records or do you have access to the history?
A good baseline of all fluids and new spark plugs would be a solid starting point. 120k is the spark plug interval so it would be good to change those out if they havent already been replaced.

Here in CA a 120k serivce is substantially more then $900. Id say its safe to assume more then double that. My Buddies 4runner just went through it at the dealer and it was over $2k. $550 in parts/fluids and $1500 in labor...yikes.

I just hit 100k and plan on doing plugs and fluids myself. There are excellent write ups and tutorials here on Mud and YouTube that will make it very doable for anyone that can turn a wrench.

Sign up on Toyota.com and enter your vehicle VIN and see what has been done. I would do:

PCV - so cheap might as well.

Plugs - Buy OEM denso and save 500 bucks in labor doing it yourself. A good flex extension will make quick work of the job. The passenger firewall plug is a PITA, but if you loosen the hard lines it will be easier.

All fluids and driveline greasing.

Cabin and air filters. Also inspect to see your cabin filter door is still functioning.

My heater tees were fine and 200s seem to be ok but I swapped them since they’re cheap.

Check the radiator for the typical hairline crack along the raised square on top. I just had mine changed at 125k because it started to show and I didn’t want to risk it.

^^^ What he said.

For comparisons sake, I just got a quote from my local dealership for a near identical tune up. Mine has 153k miles on it, and I purchased it with 139k miles... long story short, I’ve got a couple long trips coming up in the next month, and just need to get my “base line” done that I’ve put off. Dealership quoted me $1400 for the following: Oil change, front brake job, transmission fluid, transfer case fluid, front/rear differential fluid, power steering fluid. I’m going to have them do spark plugs as well, since I can’t figure out when they were last done (if ever)....

That should give you an idea of what the dealership would charge for all of those services. Seems like we’re in a similar boat. I was lucky and the previous owner had already paid for a new radiator and starter.

I’m 3 months into owning an 08 with 140k miles. I’ve spent roughly 4k in ‘while you’re in there’. Here’s what’s new: Water pump, all front pulleys, fan bracket, starter, radiator, spark plugs, trans flush, and all new suspension / zero mile takes offs from Eric at Ed Martin. (The new suspension wasn’t necessary but I wanted to feel what zero miles get like on a new setup) ... I’m done for now and hopefully for the next 100k.

I’m 3 months into owning an 08 with 140k miles. I’ve spent roughly 4k in ‘while you’re in there’. Here’s what’s new: Water pump, all front pulleys, fan bracket, starter, radiator, spark plugs, trans flush, and all new suspension / zero mile takes offs from Eric at Ed Martin. (The new suspension wasn’t necessary but I wanted to feel what zero miles get like on a new setup) ... I’m done for now and hopefully for the next 100k.
Yeah bro they gave me a complete set also. My 08 had 200k on them. Huge difference. Crazy thing is the shocks were still hard to compress. Very impressive

I would check if it has the old radiator with problems and cracks or the new radiator. Some people replace the water pump around that mileage just so it doesn't break on the road.

Then the routine check all belts brake pads etc..

There are some EZ valves available for replacing plugs changing oil,they are very helpfull. Transfer case oil is on amazon for like $20 ro $25 a quart.

Like mentioned above.. find the history on last fliud changes.

On mine (when near new) .. the dealer did the first oil changes and lied about lubing the drive shaft. I lube it myself now. I would check that lube.

Hope that helps?

Wow, thanks for all the input! Unfortunately I know for sure I'm going to go ahead and replace the rad... it's not as bad as some cracks I've seen on here but there still a small crack that's formed that's destined for failure. I've been looking for some how-to videos on a lot this (transmission fluid, transfer fluid, spark plugs, diff fluid) to try and save some $$ if it looks like it's something I can handle. I'm definitely going to get the dealer to replace the rad, starter, and maybe the water pump (not sure what the apparent issue is here, I haven't seen that come up on my research).

I'd be more willing to let the dealership do all of the work for me but I've had issues where they don't actually do what you're charged for. I've heard horror stories from friends using dealerships that do it wrong and end up with terrible issues. I guess it's a comfort thing knowing that if I do it, at least I'll know it was done right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom