new-to-me HZJ-80: making it strong again? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.linkedin.com
14Jun2005 (UTC +8)

In about 48 hours or so, I am excited to take into my possession a 1994 HZJ-80L :) with the H150F 5-speed transmission and HF1A part-time 4wd. With it's age and obvious signs of living a not-very-comfortable but not exactly harsh life either, here're my list of things I should do to bring it back to its old glory:
1. check engine compression
2. change ALL fluids: diff oil, transfer case oil, transmission oil, engine oil, power steering fluid, and brake fluid.
3. go through the Toyota 160-point checklist, like in http://www.toyota.com/html/tcuv/inspection.html
4. Re-pack wheel bearings
5. have the injectors serviced
6. put in a 2.5" suspension lift and respectable mud tyres

Question: What else should I watch out for? I want that old engine and drivetrain to be reliable again and be able to take in the Safari turbo-intercooler system.
Question: Are the IPF Inserts from ARB a direct replacement for the HZJ-80's 4-headlamps? Are they good, tough, and bright?

I believe this vehicle was originally purchased via Toyota Gibraltar (http://ecom.toyota-gib.com) for it has the vehicle code of HZJ80L-GCMRS.

Drexx: How many kms on the clock? There was talk a while back about the big end bearing in the 1HD-T, and how some of those have failed. I wonder what it's like on the 1HZ, and if it's worth replacing that too while you're elbow deep in there?

drexx said:
14Jun2005 (UTC +8)

In about 48 hours or so, I am excited to take into my possession a 1994 HZJ-80L :) ...
Question: What else should I watch out for?...

Deep water and/or mud :flipoff2:

Wow, barn doors world-spec 80 series, huh? Nice!

Be sure to replace the timing belt if there are no signs of it being replaced recently. Every 100,000kms IIRC. How many kms on the odometer?

Dave

beanz2 said:
Wow, barn doors world-spec 80 series, huh? Nice!

Be sure to replace the timing belt if there are no signs of it being replaced recently. Every 100,000kms IIRC. How many kms on the odometer?

Dave

HZJ=Diesel...It is probably gear driven.

Red Herring said:
HZJ=Diesel...It is probably gear driven.

Ummm, no . . .
:)

Dave
1HZ.JPG

NorCalDoug said:
Deep water and/or mud :flipoff2:

NICCCCE.................

Prolly could flush the coolant with a good product, the coolant in most vehicles along with brake fluid is the most ignored part.

Diffs, transfercase and tranny fluids rate right up thier.

Depending on miles and age, you could look at the timing belt, water pump(cheap piece of mind).

We had one 1HZ come through and leak diesel thorugh the top of the pump, my guess is it was a engine that sat idle for many months even a year.

Left or right hand drive????

Rob

if you do the rutine maintaince then they are both reliable. if you neglect maintaining your engine then gears are more reliable.

yes they are and they are a great light, i run them(the 7" round version) in all my cruisers that can take them.

but is the 80 RHD or LHD? becuase IPF only makes the rectangualr H-4s with a RHD beam pattern

anbd how bout some pics? :)

drexx said:
Question: Are the IPF Inserts from ARB a direct replacement for the HZJ-80's 4-headlamps? Are they good, tough, and bright?

I believe this vehicle was originally purchased via Toyota Gibraltar (http://ecom.toyota-gib.com) for it has the vehicle code of HZJ80L-GCMRS.

Stone said:
The B series and H series deisels had timing gears...but the later ones had belts...as shown in Dave's pic.

H series engine has gears and a belt. Belt drives the camshaft from the fuel pump. Fuel pump is gear driven from the crankshaft.

Takes about 20 minutes to change the timing belt so it's worth doing anyway - however if you have A/C then take off the A/C belt idler pulley as it makes access to the belt tension idler easier when you need to pull it back to refit the belt.

Part time transfer case is pretty reliable. Diffs can get a bit noisy - mine are on my HDJ80 but they work fine. Birfield (CV) joints get a bit noisy and may require stripping and re-greasing as will the front wheel bearings. Rear wheel bearings in the HZJ I think are semi floating type so should be sealed for life, only touch them if they are broke. Front axle oil seals will most likely need work.

Front exhaust down pipe is a bit fragile on the flexi joint (if it has one, not sure on the 1HZ engine without the Turbo.

I think the 1HZ was free from Big end problems, they only affect some 1HDT and 1HD-FT engines (12V and 24V turbo engines).

Apart from that you have got yourself a motor that will take a lot of abuse and not give you any grief

Hey Andy, I wished you lived down the street from me! Look forward to reading more of your posts. Do you have diff locks on your cruiser? On my 96 80 they have not been engaging. Any thoughts? Or if anyone else remembers some good posts to point me towards. Take care, Ryan.

The 1KZ-T, 1PZ, & 1HZ family of engines all use the same valve adjusting shims and utilize a rubber timing belt. It's a VERY reliable system and is not difficult to adjust valves or replace the timing belt. I've never heard a bad thing about 1HZ engines. Congrats on your new baby drexx!

dieseldog said:
The 1KZ-T, 1PZ, & 1HZ family of engines all use the same valve adjusting shims and utilize a rubber timing belt. It's a VERY reliable system and is not difficult to adjust valves or replace the timing belt. I've never heard a bad thing about 1HZ engines. Congrats on your new baby drexx!

And the 1HD-T.

gb

True dat, Greg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom