New to me fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello! I recently purchased my first fj40 (attached pictures) and have large hopes for it one day. I'm currently liquidating a few of my other vehicles for find and have been reading through build threads. I noticed that my steering gear box doesn't appear to be in the stock location. It's mounted next to the winch. I thought it might have been converted to power steering, but didn't see any ports for the pressure lines.

PXL_20220717_032230689.jpg

PXL_20220712_013819771.jpg

PXL_20220712_013740057.MP.jpg

PXL_20220712_013652103.jpg

PXL_20220712_013705807.jpg

Welcome. I like the Bluetooth motor. Probably Saginaw steering swap. Looks like a good starting point.

Welcome. I like the Bluetooth motor. Probably Saginaw steering swap. Looks like a good starting point.
I hope so! Not having really looked at stock one I just assumed that's where all steering gear boxes were mounted. Two owners before me, it had a SBC. The guy I bought it from said it was in pieces in the back when he got it. He scrapped it.

Welcome! Looks like a great project for countless hours of blood, sweat, tears and eventual happiness.
They are all “eventual happiness”, well put Green Bean👍

Looks like it has some good bones. What are you plans? Install a 2F? Small block?
Im hoping to put in a BHW TDI out of a Passat. I bought one last winter for another 4x4 project. I was pretty happy that find out the original motor was gone and someone had sprayed primer all over it. It was something I could actually afford and I won't feel so bad not keeping it original. The guy I bought it from was super nice and gave me a great deal.

Welcome! Looks like a great project for countless hours of blood, sweat, tears and eventual happiness.
I'm looking forward to it! I've wanted one for a few years, but realize I couldn't afford one unless God blessed me with a good deal. I find myself just sitting in it. I have finish/sell my other projects before I get into this one too far.

Well... My phone won't let me upload the pictures. It does appear to be a Saginaw manual steering gear box! To bad it's quite a bit smaller than a power steering variety.

Im hoping to put in a BHW TDI out of a Passat. I bought one last winter for another 4x4 project. I was pretty happy that find out the original motor was gone and someone had sprayed primer all over it. It was something I could actually afford and I won't feel so bad not keeping it original. The guy I bought it from was super nice and gave me a great deal.
Just my opinion, but you would be way better off just keeping it simple and dropping a desmogged 2F and 4 speed in that 40. Probably last another 50 years.

I'm looking forward to it! I've wanted one for a few years, but realize I couldn't afford one unless God blessed me with a good deal. I find myself just sitting in it. I have finish/sell my other projects before I get into this one too far.
That's all I can do at the moment...better'n nothin!

I have seen one FJ40 with a manual Saginaw box swap, so it has been done.

On another note... What would be a better transmission option for fj40. A sm465 or a sm420? I really wanted to use a NP435 I have laying around, but advance adapters no longer offers the kit.

SM420 is pretty old and obsolete, as far as parts. Many here run the SM465 as a newer alternative.

Ok! Time for an update! I've purchased a sm465 and acquired the adapter for it to my transfer case. I've also worked out a deal with someone to purchase a parts fj40 from 1976. Most the body is missing, but it's been converted to SOA with high steer and anti wrap bars in the rear (owner did not know if it was cut and turned.) My question is, can I put my 1968 body on that frame and is there any benefit other than time to do so? I personally would probably only do it if the 1976 frame was stronger from the factory.

Thank you!

Great find! Your 40s patina makes it look a little like the brother of my 45.

Personally I would keep your original frame and body together with vin. Even if you decide to modify it. That is if you frame is in good shape. Looks like you have a great start but the more you start miss matching frames and body parts with other years the less appealing It becomes to me anyway. That said, it is your 40 build what you want.

back in the 1960,s-early 1970,s guys would convert to Saginaw manual steering because (a) nobody made P.S.pump mounting brackets for the stock 6 cylinders, and (b) even Saginaw manual gear boxes eliminated some of the undesirable middle men in that stock steering system, more direct steering than stock even though not power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom