New (to me) BJ43- some pics and a FST question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I picked this up as a parts car. I was pricing soft top bows and with shipping to Japan it was going to be almost as much as I got this rusty truck for. 88,000 km (54,000m) on the truck- b engine runs great except for some air in the fuel lines. Exhaust is shot but I'm thinking of getting it on the road for a year or so while I patch up the floors in my bj44. Rust abounds- so it will be for parts after a year or 2. Unfortunately many of the parts are different than my 81 model....

Pics:
IMG_5334.jpg
IMG_5336.jpg
IMG_5333.jpg

Clearly the top has been replaced- not the best quality work but they had fun trying some new ideas. The entire rear 2/3rds can be removed independently of the front- nice idea but in reality the execution is not so great. Due to the shrinkage of the canvas the zipper can not be fastened all the way.
IMG_5338.jpg
IMG_5340.jpg

One idea that I really like is that the windows on the side can be opened independently from the inside with a separate zipper. Great for when my kids want to open the side up themselves or on days when ventilation would be nice but not wanting to open the entire side- say if there is a little rain. Not sure how well the exterior flap actually functions though.
IMG_5337.jpg
IMG_5327.jpg

So- On to my question... This top has 4 twist locks per side unlike many short wheel base models I have seen here on MUD with 5 per side. These look to be original. The soft top itself has metal flat stock as stays at the bottom of each side. This seems like a very good idea. I think that this is the way the later model FST's were produced. I seem to remember seeing it in another photo. At any rate it seems to be a good idea to have some type of stiffener in the bottom fold. On this custom repro top there are 2 stays per side to allow for some flexibility as well as probably fold-ability. Can anyone confirm that this is indeed the way they left the factory? Also if so how was the canvas finished in the vicinity of the twist lock? It seems there would be something there to keep the canvas from getting abraded with use.

Best!

Pete
IMG_5328.jpg
IMG_5322.jpg

Grommets are suppose be present at each hole the twist-locks are employed.

I haven't seen any metal in the flaps of an original BJ46 soft top that was imported.

I had an idea for a top just like that.....very cool to see somebody did it.

the roll up windows is unique also.

I have seen a pic of one other 44 with the sides that have a metal bar to hold down the side curtin...i'll look for the pics...

I assumed it may have been recanvased...beacuse of a discolorization of the rear doors....but....just dont know :meh:

i'll check for the pics

besides the rear door discoloration (and rear door windows) and the odd style of curtin hold down it seems very OEM

BTW there is adjustment to the oem bows...it may need to be just pulled it in (horizontal side bows to the rear and main bow) for the zipper to clasp...also you maybe able to undo the rear zip the top main bow zipper and repull the canvas down over the rear once the zipper is set

Thanks for the info Kroll and Johnny.

I'm guessing that the top on the yellow truck is OEM- the piping on the rear edge matches the piping on the door perfectly.

I like those rear straps on the inside. I was thinking of going with twist locks there because I will be switching to the hard top yearly (I have to for the inspection) but was concerned that the straps are necessary to get the top on tight. What do you guys think about that?

I'm going to rebuild the rear doors as well. Guess I should start looking for that weather stripping.....

What should I be seeing here in terms of attachment?

Pete
IMG_5339.jpg

Just a separate thought- it seems that the footman hoops might be able to go on the inside- no? I like the idea of having all the loose ends inside the car as well as placing the footman hoops in such a way that there would be no holes visible when the hard top is on. BTW- I'll be ordering a new top from OCD- can't wait!

Pete

Just a separate thought- it seems that the footman hoops might be able to go on the inside- no? I like the idea of having all the loose ends inside the car as well as placing the footman hoops in such a way that there would be no holes visible when the hard top is on. BTW- I'll be ordering a new top from OCD- can't wait!

Pete

the footman loops should not interfear with the hardtop...they should be just fine....you would need to remove the twists when putting on a hardtop

due to shrinking...the straps are a better way to go in the rear...it pulls very snug.

you may want to send Jim this top....he may want to check it out i bet :)

What should I be seeing here in terms of attachments?

Pete

it depends :)

I have seen oem tops with twists, snaps, acorn nuts holding it or even nothing.

looks like they copied the 'nothing' that it probably had before....but...as you can see you do have an acorn nut under...in the exact spot the oem canvas ones that i saw had them :)

so go acorn or nothing :)

I have an original 70s-era Toyota vinyl top on my 40 and I can confirm that the side curtains have aluminium stiffeners and that the holes for the twist-locs have grommets in them.

As for the windscreen corner/soft top interface, my top doesn't have any grommets, acorns or snaps. To be honest, it doesn't need them. I get no flapping or movement in that area at highway speeds - and keep in mind that my bows are home made and currently lack the bits above the door so the front section isn't even secured properly.

Yours definitely looks like someone copied an original Toyota top and made it "better". The original canvas probably rotted or suffered a big tear. I have noticed from my own top that bits and pieces have deteriorated due to age and need to be replaced. Case in point is the clear vinyl for the side windows and the ties which keep them rolled. These are definitely originals and it shows.

Cool!
I wish I could find one to drive/restore, and you find them as parts rigs...

Are you in Japan and is there no hoops available in Japan anymore I know the 44 came as a soft top model as well as the hard and possibly the top and hoops may still be available in Japan.

Well I wish I could restore this one. Its very cool- but it would cost a fortune in both time and money. Every panel is completely shot- tons of rust under plates of bondo. Basically I'd need another parts car to fix this one- and the other parts car would have to be in better condition.
cdb5.jpg

this one also has a PTO Ummmm

you dont have one on yours correct?

The problem is the BJ43 is earlier with a one piece case while the BJ44 is a later cruiser with a split transfer. That is if the 81s in Japan had the later transfer. The split PTO is harder to find than the earlier one piece transfer case PTO.

Got that all covered.... just need to replace the long shaft as the PO put on a piece of black pipe in place of the proper shaft- and welded it on so crooked that I could tell the minute I took it off the pallet.

The separator will be used behind the kids seats.

Slowly collecting parts for my build- gotta start a thread about it soon....
IMG_5344.jpg
IMG_5345.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom