New to me BJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just picked up a 80 BJ40 in Canada, Turbo 3b, Needs some TLC Rockers have some bubbles, PS bracket will be replaced, a few bubbles on the fenders but pans and rear quarters are new Pretty clean rig, SOA 35s ect. Dig cam is in MT. so pics when I get home. I ran from the border to Seattle, ran around there for a couple of hours and then to Kent. Fuel gauge was down to 3/4 !!!

No idea on milage but around 30 is my guess and very nice power on the Highway.

I will be in Seattle for a Couple of days and could use some help in finding a 79+ speedo, I just need the internal speedometer the bezel does not matter what shape it is in, This truck 24vlt so all guages will have to stay the same.

I now understand what the International group has been saying about the diesels. At least the turbo'd ones.

Great fun :cheers:

Mallred-

How did you go about getting your cruiser into the USA. Was it difficult to get it in to the US?

Drew <><

REZARF said:
Mallred-

How did you go about getting your cruiser into the USA. Was it difficult to get it in to the US?

Drew <><

It was very simple. 25 year + = bill of sale, title signed over and 2.5% duty.

I spent a lot of time researching and it was a simple as they said in the International Forum search under (importing)

You'll see that the old 4 banger 3B isn't as bad as many make it out to be especially with the turbo. It's also ALOT better on fuel than the old 2F!!

hey man,I had a 78 with just a "B" motor,and i could drive it to work and back,around 1 1/2 hrs,for 8 or 9 days without a fill up.Then i had this tremendous urge for a sbc.Man iwas fillin up every second day!And the 24 to 12 volt thing was a giant headache too.Lookin back and being wiser now i would leave my diesel alone.Sold that "B" for $500 bucks.

congrats :)

I have no speedo for you, but you can always come visit :)

I didn't realize you were coming to get it so quick
I have 24v gauge clusters here (approx. 1/2 hour from where you bought the BJ)

good luck with the new toy!

Congrats! Now he "gets it". Welcome to compression ignition.

Landpimp said:
congrats :)

I have no speedo for you, but you can always come visit :)

John, I will be At Billy Bobs Sat Morning picking up armor to cover the blisters on the rockers until I get them repaired and if I can I will sneak over the bridge and say Hello, Myrle

Mud_Guppie said:
I didn't realize you were coming to get it so quick
I have 24v gauge clusters here (approx. 1/2 hour from where you bought the BJ)

good luck with the new toy!

Thanks Steven, I got your PM the evening before I left on the train to Everett to meet my wife who was already over here, I had struck a deal with Glenn before I departed, We got lost in Cloverdale looking for the house my wife lived in 25 years ago, got stuck in traffic, Got the truck took it over the boarder, Met our Customs guy from Mud (good Guy ) while importing it, went to dinner in Bellingham and used the club that came with the truck and found out I had no key, Back to BC. Again Customs just laughed. I broke the throttle cable today, the local Toyota Parts guy(kid) said BJ??? What that ?

Looks like I did buy a Cruiser and the fun has began.

I heard good things about you while there, Thanks Again.

Myrle

Last edited:
mallred said:
No idea on milage but around 30 is my guess and very nice power on the Highway.

That's usually imperial.. Most B's I hear get 22-23mpg usg... That's just what I hear though ;)

and like dieseldog "welcome to compression ignition" :D

wesintl said:
That's usually imperial.. Most B's I hear get 22-23mpg usg... That's just what I hear though ;)

and like dieseldog "welcome to compression ignition" :D

That was just a a guess, with 35s, kms on the odometer but i would say it woudl be better than 23 so far, I do know how far it is from my moms in Wash. to my doorstep in Montana, and when I get home I will have my gps to get the right number.

what time? we are heading into Tacoma in the morning, prolly all the way into Puyalllup, so we can meet you at Bobs. or you can swing over the bridge latter on.

Ring me, 253 318 4066, anytime after 8am......

John

mallred said:
John, I will be At Billy Bobs Sat Morning picking up armor to cover the blisters on the rockers until I get them repaired and if I can I will sneak over the bridge and say Hello, Myrle

Landpimp said:
what time? we are heading into Tacoma in the morning, prolly all the way into Puyalllup, so we can meet you at Bobs. or you can swing over the bridge latter on.

Ring me, 253 318 4066, anytime after 8am......

John

John, Too much Family stuff to pack in the weekend, there never weems to be much time while I am over there, I will make it a point to visit next trip, thanks for the invite.

maybe pics

I cannot seem to down load any pics, Looks like my star is gone so I sent Woody another $20. Maybe tommorow.

pics

Here is the truck, It has some different stuff like 3" add to the width of the front fenders, absolutly no spray with the 35s in the rain. The rear wheelwells are cut differently.

Last edited:
more

Pics

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom